Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What gives with all the Mt. Pleasant bashing? Maybe things have changed, but the public school most like Wando in our area when I was growing up was Middleton (now WA High).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wouldn't worry about it '95; everyone wants to live in Mount Pleasant and go to Wando High School. We're just the lucky ones.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You two must have a very thin epidermis to think he was knocking Wando. It was in jest and he even posted his jealousy based on admiration. Don't prove him right by these post. This is the girl's message board, we're bigger than that (hmmm...that doesn't sound good).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not upset about it at all. I too find much of it very funny, but I was curious as to what inspired it. Coach Feurgoson was my coach back when he used to coach football at Wando, and I can see how he could get under one's skin.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My mistake...

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
W95 --

I like that. You ask me a question and 4 responding posts take place while my internet connection is down. I answered a similar question (from swimmer 1, or maybe dcut5) a few weeks ago. I just can't help disliking Mount Pleasant, though I don't think I ever actually bash it. (Well, maybe a little...) WandoFan 84 comes close to expressing my feelings -- the beautiful and lucky ones have already moved to Mount P, and anyone trying to move about on 17 North at rush hour can attest to the volume of this exodus. I find your comparison to Middleton interesting -- the West Ashley area seems to me to have been much more middle class even in '95 than Mount Pleasant. And certainly since the explosion of Ion's, Brickyards, Dunes Wests etc there has been a further move toward gentrification for Mount Pleasant (and Wando) that West Ashley hasn't (and probably can't ever) experience. My aversion probably distills down to having had to listen to that darn cowbell during those classic seasons when MP cleaned everybody's clocks in the late 90's. (Luckily Andy Gist's Carolina Girls Fusion team finally put an end to that offense against nature.) Coach Ferguson's published remarks after last season's loss to West Ashley in the playoffs were contemptible and reflected badly on Wando, in my opinion. Note, however, that I have not written one word of criticism of the Wando team, however. They are a very talented group of young ladies and certainly have the most elegant play of any lowcountry girl's soccer team. I wish them the best of luck until they next meet James Island or West Ashley.

lpaf

ps: Are there any players from minority races on the Wando Team?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that is pretty silly. There has been a considerable increase in affluence throughout the entire Charleston area in the 15 years since Hurricane Hugo, which is when the big construction boom really got going (alot of contractors came to town to do repairs and never left). I would be willing to bet that a majority or at least a plurality of the kids in those neighborhood's you listed go to either (1) Porter Gaud (2) Bishop England (3) Ashley Hall or (4) First Babtist. Take a drive through I'On and count the Porter Gaud stickers (bring a calculator).

As for the gentrification issue. I think gentrification is an issue throughout the Charleston Area. It is much worse on the Peninsula than it is in Mt. Pleasant. Wando has 2,000+ students and is over 30% black. That is close to 750 black students. I don't know about the current Wando team, but both the men's and women's teams when I was there had at least one key contributor that was black.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i must have missed this one. Why did lpaf have to do the race baiting trick?
As recently as 2 yrs ago, Wando had Clair Wigfall - State Gatorade player of yr. Also started another minority player that yr.
Current boys team has some minorities this yr.
Soccer needs to attract more minorities. it is a tough sell though financially. Just ask James Island.
I believe MPSC even offers financial aid to anyone qualified - to try and improve participation.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
S1 --

No race baiting. I had just noticed that the Wando squad was very white and wondered if there were any minorities for the girls team. James Island has two hispanics. Wando's boys team is awesome -- their goalie is hispanic, isn't he? Soccer players come in all sizes and races.

lpaf

Link Copied to Clipboard