Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Just to qualify my comments, I'm not a Dreher parent, don't have any affiliation with the school other than I live in the school district and it's convenient to go see their games; and I never played the game, didn't come into my Atlanta high school until I was a junior and the coach was the shop teacher which meant his team was made up of his students who were proud of being delinquents and played so they could fight. Sort of analagous to Henny Youngman's one liner, 'I went to a fight the other night and a hockey match broke out'. Anyway, I'm not quite sure why the coach gets slammed. There was a similar comment earlier this year after DHS lost to Chapin. The team didn't dissolve as was suggested and went on to play some strong ball. Here's what I saw in the first two playoff games. The coach rotated subs and put in a lot of his younger players to get the experience. He did a lot of talking to the players on the field directing and explaining what they should be doing, coaching. He looked very supportive to me. I've even stopped on the way home from work and watched them practice. It sure looked like they were working hard to me. As far as the game against WF, well there are several things I saw. Dreher did possess the ball most of the game and it was certainly on the WF end of the field the majority of the game. I don't know the stats but Dreher had significantly more SOG. It seemed like maybe they overpowered their shots trying to score so they could put the game away. So many misses that were nearly goals. I hate to say this but it seems that the referee has some kind of grudge or vendetta against Dreher. It was a very physical game yet so many fouls called against Dreher that could have gone either way and seldom went against WF. Not being an expert or licensed referee these are all subjective observations. But one thing that puzzled me was the PK's, the WF keeper visibly rocked back and forth laterally, Dreher's didn't. I thought FIFA rules stated that the keeper had to remain stationary with both feet planted and couldn't move until the ball was kicked. In conclusion, Dreher will only lose three seniors, all outstanding players, but next year shouldn't be a worry, they will most likely come back even stronger.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I find dhunter's observations about the referees interesting. I think when the same referees are working game after game, they get into their heads that certain players are "rough", so at the first sign of physical play they bring out the whistle.

My impression is that the quality of refereeing has not kept pace with the quality of the game as played in HS. Generally speaking HS girls have been playing club ball for several years, and at club level the game is much more physical than in high school. Not dirty or dangerous, because the girls are much more skilled, but more physical. The refs need to understand that girls are just as tough (and probably tougher) than boys, and if smeone gets knocked down in a fair tackle, let them play on!

The one thing I will give the refs at the Dreher-WF game credit for though - they did call handballs. I was beginning to think the rules had been changed because of the number of games where blatant handballs have been ignored.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, come on. Some of posts regarding Dave Kleinfelder are out of line. A poster's ax to grind is very apparent. Dreher had a fine season, why not let it go at that.

Congratulations to West Florence.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, the refs did have a vendetta out against Dreher. That particualr Ref hasn't liked us ever. The PK that Geordie kicked was recalled because the ref said he didn't blow his whistle...however, he did not blow his whistle for EVERY PK, which goes against the rules. The second goal was scored off of a non-existant foul called, and even if there was a foul, it should have been and indirect kick, which would have negated the goal...but apparantly it was a direct kick. The ref also failed to restart the play with a whistle then, but let it slide b/c...well, I don't really know. His calls were ****le at best, and Dreher got royally screwed. That doesn't make up for missing 4 of 7 PKs, and not capitalizing on chances, but it also doesn't help.

WF played a hard game, and played with a lot of heart, but they are going to lose VERY badly to Eastside.

PS: A keeper may move along the goal line, just not ahead of it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stop over analyzing the game, Dreher had many chances to win and they didnt, dont take anything away from the west florence girls, be happy for them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i dont have an "ax" to grind with klienfelder, he knows his soccer, but some things over the years have shown me what i believe, coach K knows his soccer but just doesnt "motivate" the right way, atleast he didnt at lexington, im sorry for stating my opinion, guess the boards werent meant for stating opinions, silly me...i wish kleinfelder and dreher girls program the best of luck in the following years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I saw a few of the girls games this year and Kline seemed to be doing a really good job. Sure he isn't Coach Norton and he has his own style and way of doing things, but he is leading the girls in the right direction. I hope the previous comment about how the girls aren't going to want to play in a few years is wrong. I think some of the girls are a little burned out right now, but they will play next year and have another season. The girls did not have a dissapointing season---they had another great year under a new coach and they have nothing but a long road of success in front of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a former soccer referee I happened to watch Dreher-West Florence game. I was scouting this match for an upper state team.

I thought both teams showed great effort to advance to the state finals. But some of the comments about the officiating and making references to USSF rules are not true, especially the ones made by “keepersweeper11” who claims himself/herself as fast track USSF referee. All these comments confuse parents and maybe some players, too.

#1- The whistle and signal is required for every penalty kick. I heard the whistle for
every legal PK kick.

#2- Keeper can move laterally on the goal line before the PK kick is taken.

#3- The second goal scored by West Florence was from a direct kick. After the foul,
whether you agree or not, the signal by referee indicated that restart was a direct kick. So they can score from a direct kick and it does not require whistle for restart. With the exception of kick-off, after substitution and after a caution or send off, the whistle is used for a direct or indirect free kick only when it is indicated clearly by official. This is usually done when ten yard wall is requested by kicking team. Since West Florence did not ask for ten-yard wall, (I don’t recall a wall from that distance 35-40 yards anyways) whistle was not required for restart.

I hope this clarifies soccer rules mentioned by some parents.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard