Print Thread
#43332 05/15/03 10:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It really irks me that so many of the High School Refs SUCK. I understand that it's hard to get some at times, but...come on. I played with one ref who didn't have a clue what offsides was. The center finally explained it to him after the 15th bad call. As I understand it, and feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong, but basically anyone can say, "oh, yeah, I wanna do that!" and become a HS ref with little or no training. It's rediculous. It would be wonderful if we could get some quality referees out there...make for better games!

BTW, I'm speaking as a 3-year FIFA certified referree with PLENTY of reffing experience, and on fast track. [Mad]

#43333 05/15/03 11:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, but what are you going to do??

#43334 05/15/03 11:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone considered making prospective refs take a class and a test to show that they at least fundamentally understand the rules? That's what FIFA does, and yeah, not all refs are good, but at least it helps. Also weeds out the converted football fans. It wouldn't be that hard to wrok out a reffing clinic and ref exam.

#43335 05/15/03 11:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FIFA certified??? You mean USSF, right?
Anyone can apply to be a high school referee. Pass the basic test, pay your fee and you're in. Many of the best referees in the state have little interest in High School Games because of the pay involved. With your experience and FIFA rating, I'm assuming that you're already planning on doing 30+ games next year, just for the good of the state?

#43336 05/19/03 01:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would happily ref high shcool games...however, seeing as I've been in HIGH SCHOOL for the past 4 years and just graduated, and am going to NC for college, I'm afraid those 30+ games I would HAPPILY ref (b/c I love doing it) will have to wait.

Why are you so vindictive? It it so much to ask that the HSL at least ATTEMPT to train and asses refs? [Confused]

#43337 05/19/03 01:54 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
My opinion is that the dual system of control (2 referees) is as much to blame as anything else. I have refereed USSF (diagonal system of control with 3 referees) for 7 years and until last year I chose not to referee high school because of the 2-referee system.

After refereeing high school the past two years, I am more convinced that referees in the dual system cannot do justice to the game. It is basically impossible to simultaneously watch for touch line calls, fouls, and offside.

The diagonal system of control is much better with 2 ARs whose primary job is watching for offside. The DSC also allows the center referee to run along side the play to be in better position to call fouls than either the leading or trailing referee in the dual system.

I am strongly in favor of the SCHSL adopting the DSC for all high school games, not just playoffs.

#43338 05/19/03 02:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally agree. The dual system leaves a whole lot to be desired...amongst the many reasons, the centers can't tell when the ball goes out of bounds, and often one center will call a foul while the toehr wouldn't and it gets really confusing when one calls "play on" and the other stops play. A 3-man system is 400 times better than a 2-man.

#43339 05/20/03 04:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a High School referee, I agree with both Coach P and Keeper about the two man system. Its a lousy way of handling a game. However, we have real problems in the Midlands just getting two referees. Until we get more people interested in being a high school referee, the three man system will only be for the playoffs. For Keeper, that is why I suggested that you sign up for next season since you are already USSF certified. If you are going to school in N.C., I encourage you to join their association. You can believe that good referees are in short supply and are always in demand everywhere.

Link Copied to Clipboard