Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
An open forum for comments on the team play, individual play or events of the game. All opionions welcome.

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
I have ordered my video of the game but would like to state that in real time, by my eye, the play that injured Mauldin striker Schneider was clean hard play by the West Ashley goalie. Alechia Brother fielded the highly lofted ball cleanly and landed in full control of the ball. Schneider appeared to attempt to follow the ball into Brother, perhaps looking for a header. The West Ashley goalie, leaping with outstretched arms, came down with her full weight on the Mauldin striker and the rest is history. Very aggressive play on both players' parts. The Mauldin coach approached the center ref and a rather prolonged discussion ensued, with the center ref repeatedly lifting his hands as if to indicate Brother's control of the ball. The line judge also had an excellent view of the play. With Schneider on the ground, I believe West Ashley kicked the ball out of bounds out of courtesy to the injured player. Mauldin was subsequently awarded the throw in for play which struck me as odd.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yea, i believe if Schneider wasnt out it wouldve been a different story...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Two reponses to previous posts:

First, West Ashley kicked it out, so it would be Mauldin's possession whether it was courteous or not. Second, yes, it definitely would've been a different story had Kelly not been injured, but Mauldin still managed to keep the offense coming.

Now for my comments. Did anybody see #16 for West Ashley blatantly push (arms outstreched) Kelly down in the box in the first half, cause apparently the center ref as well as both linesmen missed that one. Some big calls were missed throughout the game, and I think that was a deciding factor. And to think that ref was Ref of the Year! #15, you're fast, but you got one bad attitude. Let's just take it easy next time you play. Great defense by Katie Gordon and Ashleigh Klas. Mauldin played a great game despite the loss of Ms. Schneider, and I'm very proud of them. It was a good fight by both teams, and I hope to see more like it. Good luck next year. Until then, I'm gonna be pretty bored.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Imnot --

I guess I was questioning more the sportsmanship of taking the throw in as another offensive attack rather than doing what I see usually happen in such circumstances -- throw in to the opposing team who helped stop play to aid your injured player. Am I wrong in this?

Was Kelly Schneider injured badly?

Kelly is a great player and the Mauldin team did seem to play differently after her exit, but she didn't score in the 43 minutes she played. In the end the difference was Mauldin's defense which wore down as the teams went deeper into the second half and overtimes, in my opinion. Great game from two very deserving teams. West Ashley will, I'm sure, do their best to set up a rematch next year.

lpaf

ps: There were plenty of missed calls, no calls, and shoves to go around.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, I'm not quite sure, but they might've taken it because they felt they deserved possession in the first place because of Kelly's injury. Not saying they did, because I agree that it wasn't dirty; it was just unfortunate. As for her injury, it was a possible broken rib, but don't take my word for it. Yes, there were missed calls for both sides, but none so obvious as that push in the box, which could've led to a Mauldin goal, thus changing your story about Kelly not scoring. Neither team scored in the first 60 minutes anyway, so who's to say Kelly wouldn't have lit it up in the second half? No matter. What's done is done, and we'll never know what would've come to be if she stayed in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having played with Kelly since i began playing soccer in south carolina and against her in high school, i can honestly say that she is, if not the best, one of the best players in the state. Her presence in a game makes a huge impact. I have no doubt in my mind that if she had not been injured early in the second half the game would have been different. Kelly has 3 broken ribs and a collapsed lung, she is finally allowed to return home today, Sunday.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you, jmac. Get well soon, Kelly. I'll be praying for you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jmac & imnot...-
I'm sorry to hear that Kelly is hurt, but to say that her staying in the game would have changed things is putting Mauldin down. If the entire focus of Mauldin's play is centered around Kelly's performance than what is to become of the team next year? You also cannot tell yourself that a call from the ref would have changed anything since both teams were fouling without calls. If you're going to claim that a call in the box because of Danielle's push would have changed the game, you must also consider the way Mauldin scored their second goal. To refresh your memory: a Mauldin player backed into a West Ashely player to challenge for a throw in and for no apparent reason, lifted her hand and grabbed the ball out of the air way before any call was made by the ref. For some reason Mauldin was awarded the penalty. The free kick that Mauldin received from this play was the reason they scored their second goal. So before you argue that the ref was the deciding factor in this game, realize that bad calls were made both ways.
-sh8

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
shaiyza-

I don't think that I am putting Mauldin down at all in saying that Kelly's presence could've changed things. I know that if a team loses one of their star players, it's one less weapon for them to have. Also, returning players know that Kelly won't be there and won't be expecting her to play in games, but since she was playing in this game and suddenly she was out, it could've come as a shock to her teammates. And you're right, I can't tell myself that a call would've changed anything. That's why I said "COULD have led to a Mauldin goal" in my previous post. I considered how they scored their second goal, and I came to the conclusion that a free kick near midfield and a PK are two different things. The chances of a goal from a PK are much greater, therefore, they might not have even needed the goal from the free kick in order to tie the game. In this case, they might've scored first, the momentum could've shifted their way, and West Ashley might not have scored at all. It's all just a situation of "what-if's," and I can't say how the game would've turned out, but I can say that one of the ref's first important missed calls happened to take away an obvious goal-scoring opportunity for Mauldin. Finally, in response to your last sentence, check out this quote from my same post:

"Yes, there were missed calls for both sides..."

So before you jump to conclusions next time, read my posts more carefully. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard