Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anthony,

I don't think the rules are ridiculous or portray South Carolina as a Nazi state. There have been other incidents where 8th graders were playing on varsity teams this year. Those schools were forced to forfeit the games the 8th graders played in and/or were rostered in. I think you have to have the same rules for everyone and apply them the same. I would question why this infraction wasn't caught sooner in the playoff system.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anthony,

I don't think the rules are ridiculous or portray South Carolina as a Nazi state. There have been other incidents where 8th graders were playing on varsity teams this year. Those schools were forced to forfeit the games the 8th graders played in and/or were rostered in. I think you have to have the same rules for everyone and apply them the same. I would question why this infraction wasn't caught sooner in the playoff system.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Just a few short years ago these same 8th grade kids could start in a varsity lineup--I kept three of them at Summerville,and now they cannot even sit on a varsity bench with JV uniforms on.Mr.Observer,you obviously do not think this is harsh-I do.As I said earlier,Drew should have known the rule,but can anyone explain why this rule exists?When I first read about this,the first thing that came to mind was the Gestapo-I still feel the same way and I do not mind telling you I have major problems with nit picky garbage like this and just wish more coaches would voice their heartfelt opinions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you feel this passionately, you need to take your objections to the powers that be, and work to change the rule. The fact remains, the rule exists and must be followed. Again, my question is why wasn't this infraction caught earlier in the playoffs? Why was it first caught in the championship game?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, it could've saved a lot of heartache.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Most of you are too young to remember Muhammad Ali (born Cassius Clay) when he was the best boxer in the world. Young, arrogant, and talented beyond a comfortable level of public acceptance he won the Olympic gold medal at the Rome games in 1960 and the world heavyweight championship, as a decided underdog, by beating Sonny Liston in 1964. Ali, now a 61 year old former world champion, suffers from neurologic damage that resembles Parkinson's disease due to the head trauma he suffered during his boxing career. In 1967 Ali refused to be drafted into the US Army due to his moral opposition to the war in Viet Nam, and as a result was stripped of his title of champion by the governing body of boxing, the World Boxing Association. Ali served his time and then proceeded to work his way (again) through the ranked competition to establish his title. For those of us watching there was never any question as to who was the best boxer in the world. The title had been taken away, but the athletic ability that had produced the title was still there.

No judgement by the SCHSL can undo the series of wins the West Ashley Wildcats had leading up to their victory over previously undefeated Mauldin in the state 4-A championship match. Their trophy can be taken away, but not their championship, no more than Ali's championship could be erased by the WBA in '67. The SCHSL has a responsibilty to protect young players from abuse by overzealous coaches. It also has the ability to interpret its own rules in a judicious manner, respecting the spirit as well as the letter of its laws.

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
This, quite possibly, could be the biggest injustice ever done to a high school team in the history of South Carolina. They did not play, they did not contribute, they did not have an effect on the championship game. If you forget a player on the roster, the high school league fines you $50. If you add a player who does not play, why should the same penalty not be awarded? Is wasn't right, we all agree to that. But to take a championship away from those girls when they did not participate in any illegal activities to aid in their run through the playoffs is a horrific display of leadership by the high school league. All of us 18 and above posters know it is never fun to be the deliverer of discipline to younger beings. Obviously those doing the wrong will be upset, however understanding when the punishment fits the crime. I am ashamed to be a member of the high school league if the title is taken away. No Mauldin supporter/student/parent/player can look at that trophy and say with pride "We earned this championship." Let us pray for God's divine intervention...

World Cup
World Cup

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is an unfortunate turn of events since the West Ashley girls did win the game without the assitance of the 8th graders. However, rules are in place to be followed and when they are not, everyone involved has to accept the consequences. If the league doesn't enforce the rules, why have them? If you are going 90 on the interstate and don't have a wreck, can you plead not quilty to speeding? What happens the next time
8th graders dress out and play and the team loses- can that coach then say that they didn't effect the outcome of the game? I think you see my point. If the rules are in place, they must be followed. If not, you open the system up for ineligible players at all levels.

In the case - there are no winners. I'm sure that Maulding doesn't want the championship under these circumstances. In everything there will be adversity - the mark of a champion is how you deal with it.

Please don't ever compare a rule concerning high school sports to a Nazi state - you obviously have no idea about the human suffering inflicted on millions of people by Hitler and his regime - you can't compare a high school championship to the death of millions, ever!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cnsoccermom,

I couldn't agree more....this issue can't be compared with Nazi Germany. It's just a game..although people won't like that comment.....Rules are rules..people need to be proactice and work to change them...there's alot of negative energy being spent on this message board complaining, when perhaps the posters should be writing letters to the "powers that be"...

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard