Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
imnotinhighschoolanymore --

Shame on you if you can't recognize the blatant attempt at character assasination by innuendo (look it up if you don't know what it means) in mhssoc's first post in this thread. Your parents must have reared you better than that. When rumormongering in the absence of any hard information focuses on a specific individual it is deliberately hateful.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And shame on you for lowering yourself to the level of a teenager by making personal insults against them and their intelligence. As a grown man, you should know better. There were two goal scorers in that game, so mhssoc did not single out a "specific individual." In order to show how important of a role the alleged had in the outcome of the game, mhssoc saw it necessary to reference the fact that she scored.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
2002-2003 Rules and Regulations Governing Contests

Boys and Girls Soccer (p.B-41)

#3 - The head coach must attend a League sponsored rules clinic.

South Carolina High School League Handbook Constitution Rules and Regulations Directory (p.A-24)

B. Rules and Regulations:

#1 - Students below the 7th grade may not participate in interscholastic athletics. STUDENTS IN GRADES 7 AND 8 WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE ON VARSITY INTERSCHOLASTIC TEAMS IN FOOTBALL, WRESTLING, AND SOCCER.

Article VII - Section 6 (p.A-10)

D. With the exception of football, wrestling, and soccer, eligible 7th and 8th grade students may participate on varsity teams. This is because the HSL views football, wrestling, and soccer as CONTACT sports.

NOTE: Any student in the uniform of and permitted in the bench area of one of the competing teams is considered as having participated.
================================================
My take (Kevin Heise, SCHSSCA President):

Thus, after reviewing the SCHSL Handbook, checking the state championship roster as submitted by West Ashley HS, and by my interpretation of the rules aforementioned, I can see where the SCHSL has to enforce this ruling. Although I don't necessarily agree that the punishment fits the crime, it is an obvious error by the WAHS coaching staff and athletics administration.

This is a tough lesson for all involved, especially the Wildcats varsity girls' squad. However, the old adage that "life is not fair" may apply here appropriately enough.

Whatever the outcome, thanks to WAHS and Mauldin for treating prep soccer fans to what I consider the best girls' soccer match that I have ever witnessed!

World Cup
World Cup
Adults make personal "attacks" all the time. It's called arguing, however I do not think that is the word I would use in identifying the comment being discussed...on to the point. Eligibility is done prior to the first game. It is a one time deal in soccer, unlike in basketball in which a player's eligibility can be restored in the rollover of semesters. I could be declared eligible at the beginning of the soccer season and write "Ants in the pants make the jovial man dance" on every test and still be alright to play. It would have to have been a mud slinging action for there is no base from which the accusations are made. It is an abiotic issue that should have been shot down a looooong time ago. It is unfortunate that the jersey incident did occur. I think we all knew what Drew was doing, and unfortunately a technicality has arised. Someone, and it doesn't matter who, made an attempt to slap his wrist in a previous post saying he should have known better since he's been coaching for 10 years. That would have only worked against him, seeing that the "contact sport" rule was not in affect at the beginning of his coaching stints.

Sigh, this is an entertaining issue to discuss with everyone here and I do enjoy intreacting with everyone's opinions. The lone setback in my joy is in knowing that there are several girls experiencing a lot of grief because of the proximity of two teammates and several letters on a piece of paper. The one argument that no one can rise up against to thwart (although some intelligent soul will try) is that those two girls did not physically step on the field once the whistle was blown, pronouncing the game officially started, and makes runs, passes, crosses, headers, and shots to aid their teammates in the victory. May we all find a suitable resolution...

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Well done to Ronnie Matthews for having the backbone to enforce League rules even when it meant the loss of a state title. Easy decision to make in regular season; very tough decision to make in this case; but still the RIGHT decision. The enforcement of rules has a purpose; to ensure others don't repeat that mistake. In this case you can bet your bottom dollar no coach makes this mistake again after all the publicity; which is why we enforce rules in the first place!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Region 1 Coach-

I wasn't saying that adults don't argue. I was saying that la was arguing in a juvenile manner with the "look it up" remark. By the way, what word would you use to describe the comment?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bravo Bazza!! An unpopular choice but I also believe the right one...Its all up to Ronnie Matthews and his interpretation of the rules..

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Bazza --

I thought we enforced these particular rules to make sure 8th graders didn't get hurt or have their studies distracted by playing in too many games a week.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Observer - better check with slm26, according to him/her, there is no allowance for one's "interpretation" of rules.

Oh and slm26 -

Morals? I'm glad to know someone out there is perfect.

Cheating? Disrespect? We are discussing an honest mistake....maybe you should go back and read the posts....

Yes, I am inferring what I think the intent of the rule is - just as you noted - it's all up to Mr Matthews to interpret the rule - but wait, you said that wasn't allowed...I'm confused.

Any rule is open to intrepretation - that's why we have the appeals process.

Soccermom

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I must admit that I have not gone back through every line of every post on this topic, but I do not recall anyone suggesting that the rules regarding an ineligible player should not have been enforced. Rules need to be enforced, but they must be enforced with wisdom, discretion, and an appreciation for the affect on all parties concerned. In my opinion, Mr. Matthews has failed on these points and created an injustice greater than the original offense that has taken place.

What if the ineligible players had played and contributed to the WA victory? Certainly the title would be taken away then, and fewer would rally to their defense. But wait...this is the very punishment being meted out for simply standing on the sidelines dressed in JV uniforms. Certainly, we cannot argue that the two scenarios are the same and deserving of the same consequences.

By the same token, if WA had not won the title match, what recourse would Mr. Matthews have to deal with the school that permitted these ineligible players on the sideline? There would not be a championship to take away, and an alternative punitive scenario would need to take place. Surely, that alternative might be more appropriate for the current situation.

This leads me back to my original sentiment...that rules DO need to be enforced, but with discretion. If there is discretion available to Mr. Matthews on delivering an appropriate message to WA for their technical violation of league rules, then it is my sincere hope that he reconsiders the options available. Surely he does not believe that the consequences for committing a technical violation can create an injustice greater than the violation itself.

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard