Print Thread
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think worse punishments could be given to West Ashley, or any team for that matter besides giving up a state championship. For instance, they could be suspended for a certain amount of time. In my opinion, making them forfeit a game in which they broke the rule is not the worst punishment, even if it was the championship. The championship is still a game, and if they would have to forfeit any other game because of it, it would only be fair for them to forfeit this one. The rules shouldn't be bent because it was the state final.

goal kick
goal kick
It's obvious you'renotinhighschoolanymore. You practice and play all season long for the chance to win the state championship. This is a high school league and the decision should take the kids into consideration. If need be, suspend the coaches for a few games next year, leave the kids out of the punishment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does the punishment fit the crime? NO. Is the punishment defined for the crime currently? Yes.

Change the punishment for the future, not for the current infraction.

In SCISA boys competition, Ben Lippen had an ineligible player (a 5th year senior), blew the whistle on themselves, and as a result forfieted 8 games, 7 of them conference games and still made it to the state championsip game. SCISA has the same rule and you must forfiet games where an ineligible player is rostered etc.

Do I agree with the rule? No. It needs to be changed for the NEXT time. To change it now just reinforces the notion that if you whine enough, you'll get your way.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel very bad for the WA girls, they beat Mauldin by playing some great soccer. I hope the SCHL executive commitee shows wisdom in this appeal process. I know everyone wants the (SCHL) to remember the girls had nothing to do with who was sitting on the bench. Does it surprise me that Mauldin would accept a title they did not win? No.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're right, sweepit. I graduated way back in 2002, so I'm far too old to have any idea of what's going on. The kids did practice and play all season to the get to the championship, which they won, and even if it's taken away, they still know that they won. Suspending the coaches just takes away from the kids more, so that doesn't do much good either. By the way, how long did you sit there thinking of some way to be clever, only to fall short with "you'renotinhighschoolanymore"?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has Mauldin accepted the title? No.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm still going by my comments on page 4 of this thread. I believe that the JV girls DID have something to do with the win in a support function. Apparently they and everyone else on the team believed that they did too, or they would have not been permitted to receive championship medals. If they were simple observers sitting on the bench with JV uniforms like laplageauxfolles suggests, then they should not have been awarded medals. I don't think they are at fault for the violation, but it did provide unfair advantage to WA on that day in relation to all other teams participating and will in the future with the experience the two girls gained that day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're right. They did get medals. This post should've never escalated into the argument it did. Good call, sweeps.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
sweeps and Idon'tquiteknow --

Can you explain exactly how you feel the JV players brought an advantage to the WA team? For a moment, consider that a poorly informed or ill advised coach simply wanted to honor a couple of 8th grade JV players and made the honest mistake of dressing them in JV uniforms instead of street clothes. If they received medals or not is not known to me, but they were not on the roster presented to the officials of the girls eligible to play. They didn't play.
They couldn't play -- they shared numbers with other starters and wore different uniforms. I personally don't buy into the magical 8th grade cheering squad on the bench theory of why West Ashley left the field victorious. West Ashley's aggressive individual play and tough defense eventually wore down the Mauldin team. In the end individual athleticism triumphed over beautiful team play, and speed was the key factor. I hope as best I can that WA and Mauldin can meet again next year in the finals. There are sure to be no 8th graders on the bench. Just like last year when WA also won...

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sweeps & I'mamauldinfan-

Your ignorance of the facts astounds me. None of the three JV players were awarded medals. I was there when the medals were awarded to all of the varsity girls. Why would they receive medals if they were not on the team? Try to post facts and not fabulation....

sh8

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard