Go DutchFork!

#43786 02/23/04 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Definitely VERY early in season but congrats to Spartanburg. I guess Wando shouldn't be so disapointed with their play. 2-2 tie w/ S'burg.

#43787 02/23/04 09:03 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
From Coach Steve Lea of Spring Valley HS ... Here is the final order of finish for the Taco Bell Viking Cup:

1. Spartanburg, 4-0-1
--------------------------
2. Dutch Fork, 4-1-0
3t. Dreher, 3-1-0
3t. West Ashley, 2-1-1
5t. Fort Mill, 2-0-1
5t. James Island, 2-0-1
5t. Wando, 2-0-1
8t. Chapin, 2-1-0
8t. Eastside, 2-1-0
8t. Riverside, 2-1-0
11t. Dorman, 1-1-1
11t. Mauldin, 1-1-1
11t. Spring Valley, 1-1-1
11t. Summerville, 1-1-1
15t. Aiken, 1-2-0
15t. Irmo, 1-2-0
15t. RNE, 1-2-0
15t. Ridge View, 1-2-0
15t. West Florence, 1-2-0
20. B-C, 0-2-1
21t. Byrnes, 0-0-3
21t. Lexington, 0-0-3
21t. Northwestern, 0-0-3
21t. Waccamaw, 0-0-3

#43788 02/25/04 05:34 AM
C
goal
goal
C
It would be interesting to know how many players on each team plays club ball during the Fall. And then see how those teams improve through the year. I suspect that teams with a high number of club players will be a lot stronger againist teams in the beginning than at the end. I see it with Chapin. It is taking a while for players to get into soccer shape. I see the wonderfully athletic players coming from basketball and having a hard time on the soccer field. So as the adjust and improve their conditioning they will have a greater impact for the team.

Chapin has only 3-4 club players from the fall that I am aware of...

#43789 02/25/04 03:59 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Nice article on the Taco Bell Viking Cup from the High School Sports Report.

Spartanburg wins the Taco Bell Viking Cup
By Neill Kirkpatrick, Special Correspondent

Spring Valley - Lytle Cannon scored in the 24th minute of the first half for the only goal of the championship match and the Lady Vikings made it stand up for a 1 nil victory over the Dutch Fork Silver Foxes Sunday afternoon. Cannon received a pass from tournament MVP Annie Galloway just inside the top right corner of the box and blasted a shot through the hands of Dutch Fork goalie Laura Curran. From there the match heated up with both teams having opportunities to score but neither side was able to put the ball in the back of the net. One of Dutch Forks best chances to tie the match came at the 12:30 mark of the first half when freshman forward Gabi Byrd sent a crossing pass into the box but no Silver Fox was able to get to the ball and it rolled harmlessly to the other side of the field. At the 11 minute mark of the first half Dutch Fork had another chance to score when Naomi Greenfield blasted a free kick from about 30 yards away. The shot appeared to be over the head of Spartanburg goal keeper Julie Freed but at the last instant she punched the ball over the top of the goal giving the Silver Foxes a corner kick.

The Lady Vikings Lee Cribb had a chance to increase the lead at the 5:30 mark of the first half but she was denied by Dutch Fork goal keep Laura Curren and the first half ended with Spartanburg up 1 nil.

The second half started fast for Dutch Fork as they went on the attack. At 32:45 mark Gabi Byrd headed a shot toward the goal but again Viking goal keep Julie Freed made the save. As the second half wore on the Silver Foxes contniued to attack and appeared to have the Lady Vikings on the ropes. Coach McGinty said "we were struggling, just tired, it was a long weekend we told them to keep chugging and sometimes you have to reach down and find some thing extra and they did that today." At the 13:50 mark Dutch Fork was ready to strike with a corner kick but Sparantburg was able to clear the ball out after a mad scramble in front of the goal. However, the clear out resulted into another corner for the Silver Foxes this time from the right corner. On this corner Dutch Forks Jill Karelitz was able to head the ball towards the goal but Julie Freed again stopped the shot. Both teams continued to search for the right opportunities with Spartanburg getting a free kick at the 3:40 mark but Annie Galloway's kick sailed over the goal. Dutch Fork made one last run at the Vikings and had a free kick opportunity but before they could get lined up the whistle blew ending the match and sending the Lady Vikings into a much deserved celabration.

Dutch Fork's Coach Jones said "they were really good at being first to the ball, they really worked hard for the ball and worked well together."

This was Spartanburgs first trip to the finals and the HSSR asked Coach McGinty how his team was able to come out on top, "Well I think mainly our senoir leadership really carried us this weeekend, we asked them to led this weekend by example and I think they did that."

Spartanburg finished the weekend 4-0-1 while Dutch Fork finished 4-1.

ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM
Aiken - Marie-Ange Smith
Brookland- Cayce - Ashton Tatum
J.F. Byrnes - Alecia Nederostek
Dorman - Carmen Osorio
Dreher - Louise Bailey, Kate Heilich
Dutch Fork - Cheslyn Leaks, Naomi Greenfield, Jill Karelitz
Fort Mill - Rachel Claypool
Irmo - Marie Cross
RNE - Alex Mouton
Ridge View - Aisha Reed
Spartanburg - Annie Galloway, Margo Halliday, Lytle Cannon, Julie Freed
Spring Valley - Demetria Gibbs
West Ashley - Britton Livingston, Hannah Schimpf
Tournament MVP - Annie Galloway of Spartanburg; she received a $1,000 scholarship from Taco Bell

Questions and answers about the Viking Cup with Spring Valley Head Coach Stephen Lea.

Why and Who started the Viking Cup?
Coach Lea - "I inherited the tournament. I got here about nine years ago at Spring Valley, the former coahc Tony Thompson started it as four team tournament back 13 years ago when there were only several really good, quality teams in the state. When I got here we went to eight teams and after a couple years just kept growing because the number of quality teams in the state contuined to grow. Now we have 24 teams and we have no problem filling the field with excellent teams."

Who's in the Tournament?
Coach - "We are real happy with the field we put together this year. We have the top 15 teams in 4A, 5 of the 3A top ten, 2 of the 2A top 5 and this is the strongest field we have seen here. I've pretty much said that every year but it continues to get stronger. The entire top 15 4A was a pleasant surprise.

What is the Format?
Coach - "Four groups of six teams, within each group it is sub-divided into 2 three team groups. Teams will play two teams within sub group and then cross bracket with one other team in your group, so within the group each team will play 3 games. Thats scored on a point system. In event of a tie we have a seven tear tie braking system. After Thursday, Friday and Saturdays games we take the four group winners and advance them to the semi finals on Sunday morning."

How do you set up the groups?
Coach - "Actually there are a few things I look at; strength of teams, quality of teams - top four teams in seperate groups, next four but also I try not play teams that play in the regular season or teams in the same region.

Major sponsor Taco Bell.
Coach - "Taco Bell was helping out the girls teams when I got here, also. We have expanded it and Taco Bell has been unbelieveable in what they do for us. They give us the funds to make this thing happen. They feed all the players on Thursday and Friday night and when you ring that up for 450 kids that is a big tab. They provide a $1,000 scholarship for the tournament MVP. On Sunday we take the four teams that are left and one player off one of those teams wins the scholarship. They also provide T- shirts that we sell."

How many Volunteers?
Coach - "We have well over a hundred volunteers and we give them a T- shirt and our sincere thanks."

Tournament Committee: Director - Stephen Lea, Asst. Director - Ann Elbery, Treasurer - Lesa Falilla, Field Marshals - Harry Grohman, Concessions - Linda Hasik, Cheryl Hartvigsen, Hospitality - Mary Jo Lawracy, Ticket Sales - Lesa Falilla, Cindy Pederson, T-Shirts - Carol Lizotte, Ball Girls - Liz Neihaus, Programs - Robin Brackett, Publicity - George Hasik, Player Profiles - Doug Falilla, Team Meals - Robin Brackett, Awards - Robin Brackett

Link Copied to Clipboard