Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#44295 04/01/04 03:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi LPAF: As another ancient philosopher,Confucius, once said: "Is it not also great when friends visit from distant places?"
James Island is looking forward to hosting the classy West Ashley ladies on Friday evening. We hope to have a good match. So many of these girls are friends off the field and teammates on their state championship team, the Fusion, that it is always a pleasure to have the Wildcats in the house. Good luck to all! Sincerely, Fanofgrits

#44296 04/01/04 03:18 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
FOG --

Good to hear from you again. I'll be there tomorrow yelling for my favored Wild Island Trojan Cats. Go Trojan Cats!!! The really good thing about Region 7 is the quality games between JI/WA/Wando leading up to the lower state playoffs. That kind of top knotch competition gets everybody to their best game. Sorry about the loss on Monday to the dark side of the Force, but they will have to come to our side of the river later this month. Take care.

lpaf

#44297 04/02/04 04:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dreher was supposed to play Byrnes on Friday, but the game got moved to Thursday. The outcome was that Dreher won 2 to 1.

#44298 04/02/04 12:27 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Anyone have any insight to the BC vs Byrnes match?

#44299 04/02/04 01:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think we established that now that WA is 2 time state champion that they are the "Dark Force".
Good luck to JI. Did notice WA's coach in stands at JI-Wando game Tuesday night scouting out the Trojans. Skipped his own team's game so he must be worried.

#44300 04/02/04 02:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, I did not see Drew at the game. He must be a little worried. Very interesting! Kind of like a compliment for JI. Going to be a tough but good game for both sides. JI just fell short on Tuesday night but were noticably not on their game as a team. Hoping JI can pull through tonight. Either way, great soccer!

#44301 04/02/04 02:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coach was on top row to right of press box (if you were facing the field).
I guess I can't comment on JI's "not on their game" since I made excuses for Wando against WA.
"River is always changing", isn't that right -lpaf?

ps - I have seen that license plate around town -is it yours?

#44302 04/02/04 03:02 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
S! --

No vanity plates for me. Just a bumper sticker that says "When all of my kids get out of college I'm going to drive a nice car too."

lpaf

#44303 04/02/04 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To be honest, I have seen Wando play much better as well. Overall it was a good game but I saw lots of mistakes by both teams that could have won/lost the game for them both. I think nerves come into play with these games. Can't help but get caught up in it. For the love of soccer............. :-)

I'm with lpaf - I like that bumper sticker!

#44304 04/03/04 03:32 AM
R
throw in
throw in
R
Final score of WA/JI game: JI 2 WA 0
WA did not show up to play tonite at all...at least for the first half. This game is their first loss of regular season and i am sure it will be their last! In the 2nd half WA stepped up their play and Bolt executed an almost text book bicycle kick that i believe was inside the 18 and missed the goal by a small amount. it seemed as tho throughout the game JI players continued to hit the ground (with i believe 2 serious injuries to the dangerous Frankie Baker (??) and Elyse Clark and a few minor injuries as well). Possibly a way to waste time during their 2-0 lead throughout the first half? WA's defense held very well in the 2nd half. Both of JIs goals were scored in the first...one by Frankie and the other by ??? (i dont kno). any one else have nething to say abt the game?

#44305 04/03/04 03:49 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Wow. There goes the #1 ranking...but maybe thats a good thing! Back underneath the radar they go. A dark horse, seabiscuit, or cinderella they could be!

#44306 04/03/04 04:20 AM
S
kick off
kick off
S
anyone know the outcome of the Aiken vs. North Augusta game?

#44307 04/03/04 12:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aiken 3
North Augusta 0

#44308 04/03/04 12:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SCF, You're right about WA not showing up during the first half. Both Batty and Lisa Frawley were unmarked and each took advantage of it to score top quality goals. My money's on DM making appropriate adjustments for the rematch at WA with a much different result. Anyone have an update on Batty and Clark? Hope they're recovering.

#44309 04/04/04 12:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Batty took a knee to the back from her own teammate while challenging for a CK. She is moving gingerly, but should recover fine. Clark has a severe ankle sprain, is on crutches, and should be able to return to the pitch in about a week.

#44310 04/05/04 05:37 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Re: JI 2 v WA 0

WA's failure to score didn't happen in a vaccuum. James Island's defense was beautiful with good solid play in the midfield and an absolute text book of headers, slide tackles and generally bottling up the WA forwards. There were perhaps only 2 or 3 legitimate shots on goal by the Wildcats, including the near miss on the bicycle by Bolt. Overall, WA seemed unable to break through with the ball and cross, their hallmark for quality goals this season. The James Island defenders, led by Cortney Lassetter, Ashley Ingles, Catherine Deden, and Chelsea Terry last week prevented all goals by Wando and West Ashley -- this is something to be very proud of. Region 7 is a horse race with three excellent teams running nose to nose as the season heads into the back stretch.

lpaf

#44311 04/05/04 11:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SCsFINEST,

Do I sense a "sore loser" tone in your post? JI played a great game and you cannot take that away from them. They stepped up and beat your cats! Period. Thanks lpaf for expressing the much more realistic recap of the game. For the love of soccer.......... :-)

#44312 04/05/04 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow,
I didn't read any sore loser tone at all.
My sources did tell me that WA did not bring the level of intensity to the game that I saw them have against Wando. Maybe now, everyone will be "getting up" for James Island.

#44313 04/05/04 12:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe I read into it too much. Serious injuries, enough to send one player the ER, is not buying time???? I have seen WA play at a higher level, but coming off of a very physical Wando game, JI played a great game and clearly dominted. Let's give them credit. Bolt's bike was awesome. Love to see that in high school soccer.

#44314 04/05/04 03:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My fault - I was reading LPAF's not SCFinest.
I have seen every program try and shorten the game when they are ahead . That is a strategy every coach uses and those that don't aren't doing their best.

#44315 04/05/04 03:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi eveyone. If you were not at the game (WA vs. JI) you missed a doozy. JI had their groove thing on and were playing the way they know how to. Chelsea Terry and Co. in the defense were awesome, the midfield was rocking, and the offense rolled. Frawley, Battye and Gosnell are a force to reckonded with. A beautiful game played by every single Lady Trojan and one to be extemely proud of. I hope Wando took note because they will be coming to our house very soon. There is more of that where this came from and payback can be sweet. The Lady Trojans are hitting their stride!! Fanofgrits

#44316 04/05/04 06:45 PM
R
throw in
throw in
R
my post was NOT written from a sore loser. they did waste time. as i watched the clock 5 minutes started to tick away as an injury went on and im not saying that i think the injuries were faked by NO means. but the ref told the WA girls that they would not go by the scoreboard clock and that they would be doing stopage time (as one would expect) yet when the scoreboard got down to 0 the ref blew the whistle and if i remember correctly, WA had the ball at the time. but aside from comments about the game, JI be warned, WA will have it out for you at the end of April when you come to THEIR HOUSE. Even though you guys played a respectable game at the Backyard, it will not remain true on April 26th (??).

#44317 04/05/04 08:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This rivalry sounds exciting!!

#44318 04/05/04 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My, my, my. There you go again. I am still sensing some anger over the loss. The game is over. WA will have it out for JI????? Be warned???? Now there is some good sportsmanship for ya. Good luck to both teams, and may the best team on that night win.

#44319 04/05/04 09:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To change the subject:

I'm not sure why the score has not been posted yet, but the Greenwood/Hillcrest match scheduled for Friday was actually played Thursday night with Greenwood winning 3-1.

#44320 04/06/04 04:59 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Dad, are you a Greenwood or Hillcrest fan?

#44321 04/06/04 09:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Greenwood.

#44322 04/08/04 02:02 AM
R
throw in
throw in
R
we will see how it goes nect time for WA and JI

#44323 04/10/04 06:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JI is in for a surprise on the 27th. If they think they played WA on Friday they are mistaken. Even in the second half when WA started to wake up and realize they were down, they still weren't themselves. And I can see the sore loser comments coming now. So, not to take anything away from JI's win, because they did soundly defeat the top side in the state, or at least the girls wearing the jersey. They need to understand that that was not WA. Also, who ever said JI played beautifully has never seen a pretty game of soccer. From both sides it was an ugly game of boom ball. JI back line was strong, but incredibly predictable. JI will, and does have the momentum because they beat WA, but they better hope for their own good that Fridays game was not their best.

Three games later we still know nothing about who is number one in this region. As always it is going to come down to who wants it. Friday night, JI wanted it, and they took a little something from WA. The girls at West Ashley are fighters. And now James Island gave them something to fight for.

#44324 04/14/04 03:17 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Malreelwack --

Not to beat a dead horse (ok, to beat a dead horse), but what part of the JI back line did you find "incredibly predictable"? The part where they didn't give WA a clean shot on goal all night long? That's the kind of predictability most coaches strive for.

lpaf

#44325 04/14/04 03:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
...and now, I will "gave" you a treat for your commments.

Mal, whatever happened to that inspiring law that stated "All you have to do to beat Wando is take them to pk's. Everyone knows that!"

Still waiting on some clarification.

#44326 05/02/04 12:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cheers.

Just writing in heat of passion after tough loss, now I'm going to need to rationally clarify. JI's defense is no questions asked top of the line. Also, not allowing WA a goal all season is the type of predictable a team wants to be. Chelsea and Courtney are brick walls in the back. But no less, they are predictable. If, or rather, when Chelsea gets the ball from a striker guess where it is going........Lisa or Kelly. It obviously wins games and is a great strategy, but as soon as someone figures out how to stop it from happening they are out of luck. WA however hasn't found that yet, and they may be running out of time.

Oh, and the pks.......maybe I should have clarified, all WA has to do is take Wando to penalty kicks.

#44327 05/02/04 12:46 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Malreelwack --

I fear you have gone too far in revealing the secrets of the JI defense... When the back line stops the other team's offense they pass the ball to their forwards. Now JI is done for in playoffs.

lpaf

ps: Go Lowcountry!!! And may the best team step on the field representing the lower state on May 15th and proceed to beat Mauldin for the third year in a row. Region 7 -- Home of the best high school girls soccer in the state.

#44328 05/02/04 09:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like the taste of foot in my mouth.

Its how they play, its simple, straight forward and to the point, but it wins games.....I was just trying to clarify the "predictable" statement.

I just have had the opportunity to be frustated by losing to JI. Every opportunity we had Chelsea stopped and played it to Lisa....every time. That is exellent....and really the object of the game, but it is still frustrating when it happens over and over again. We can see it coming, but there is nothing we seem to be able to do about it for now.

"Predictable" was my way of being a sore loser.

#44329 05/02/04 10:29 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Malreelwack --

I like your style. WA has the talent. They just haven't pulled it out against JI this year. If these teams face each other again and both teams play to their potential we'll see the best game in girls' soccer in the state of SC. This should be recognized as a tribute to Andy Grist, coach of Carolina Girls' U-17 Fusion who has coached the core players of JI and WA for the last 4 years. Andy is a great coach and CGSA is a great club.

lpaf

#44330 05/03/04 01:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The last time I checked, JI had more than just two or three players. The team wins the game! Does WA only have two or three players? Let me guess - Danielle, Julie and Lechia. :-)

#44331 05/04/04 04:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mal, we all learned a lesson in humility and character from your post. You eat crow as well as anyone I know. Thanks for the clarification.

#44332 05/03/04 06:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WA has a talented team, specific players do tend to shine...but that is only because they can't hide their talent. I know that there will be an excellent match next Tuesday. As always in the Lowerstate it will be won by heart.

I'm all full of crow....so hopefully I'm done eating it for the season.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard