Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Take your pick. Region 7 tries again to sort itself out with two major confrontations this week. West Ashley ventures to the land of straight teeth, upscale imported bottled water and really nice cars on Tuesday to face Wando East of the Cooper. WA took advantage of a Wando team hampered by injuries earlier in the season and version 2 of this lowerstate struggle will impact the architecture of the lower state playoff brackets. Friday brings the rematch of James Island and Wando on JI. The Lady Trojans lost to Wando in their first meeting in PK's. Since then they have bumped off then number one West Ashley and have yet, as my analysis runs, to give up a goal in regulation play. Next week gives us the rematch of West Ashley and James Island on 4/27 that should seal who will win Region 7 outright. There's little doubt the best girls' HS soccer in SC will take place in Charleston over the next 10 days. More later.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dreher plays Flora and BC this week. BC lost to Flora last week, so Dreher has to beat Flora again and BC to win the region outright.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the Upstate, Eastside Lady Eagles play the Mavericks at Mauldin in a non-conference game. After last week's bitter 0-1 loss to Greenville and losing only 0-2 to Mauldin in their first match-up, Eastside should be primed and ready to make the move to victory and the march to a second state title. (Big dreams, I know.) Freshman forward Bielby will be back after an injury and could be the difference along with a healthier defensive line (flu).

But first on Monday night is Traveler's Rest who held the girls for 20 or so minutes to no score in their first game.

Tuesday night Riverside will be playing Greenville who are full of confidence after winning against Eastside.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hold little hope of anyone taking the State Title from West Ashley. Unless James Island can repeat their convincing victory.

Of course, I predicted earlier that Mauldin is being scary quiet - just waiting until Columbia in May I guess.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eastside 3 Traveler's Rest 0

The grass was as long as the late afternoon shadows. The ball was as ripe as a fallen ripe peach (until the referee replaced it 20 minutes in to the first half). The pace of the game was as comfortable as a summer Sunday afternoon at the park. In spite of all this, Eastside scored early (:03) on a shot by freshman forward #10 Martin that was knocked down by the Devil Dog's goalie and finished by freshman forward #3 Bielby.

The Lady Eagles seemed satisfied until half-time when coach reminded them that Mauldin was coming up. Eastside started picking up the pace and taking some more shots allowing freshman forward #3 Bielby to feed junior midfielder #9 Cirillo a square pass about 25 yards out which she launched from the right side of the field over the goalie's head into the left side of the goal (:63). The bridge was breached and senior forward #13 Culbertson fed freshman #10 Martin a sweet thru pass at the top of the box which she put away for the third and final goal (:72).

Junior goalie #00 Rankin had one save and sophomore #0 Hayes had one save to preserve the shut-out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wando - West Ashley was a nail biter. 1-1 at end of regulation. Wando scored on a great effort by Fortner who fought off a defender to finish a great shot. West Ashley scored off a PK when there was an inadvertant handball in the box.Wando went up 2-1 in the 2nd overtime on a good combination between McGinty and Fortner, then with literally 1 second left
WA tied the game on a header by Jordan off of a long pass into the box.
PK's were interesting. it went 3-3 in the 1st 5, then on the 6th kick WA converted and Wando did not.
Call it my biased opinion but I think Wando had the better of the match during regulation.

Both teams got a good warm up for the play offs.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WA v Wando

It's the most fun you can have for $4, at least until the JI v Wando game on Friday. Hats off to both goalies, but especially to Alecia Brothers of WA for a show of aggressive athleticism late in the game when WA defensive breakdowns presented Wando with great crossing opportunities. The handball in the box that allowed WA's first score on a PK generated a yellow for the defender. I wondered if it should not have been a red as it appeared to be an imminent scoring opportunity for WA stopped by illegal use of hands. I don't ref (and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night) but would welcome an interpretation of how a yellow card could have been given in this situation. The wind (about 15 miles an hour) played a significant role with WA struggling to move against it in the first half and most of the offense being played in front of the Wando goal in the second half until Wando begin to drive the ball on the ground down the right late in the game. This game was remniscent of the lower state playoff game two years ago with two very evenly matched teams playing their hearts out for regulation and throughout the full 2 overtime periods. A special recognition to WA for literally not giving up the hope of tying the game -- the center ref was counting down the last 10 seconds as Danielle Jordan headed the ball in as he got to "1".

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
Fantastic!!!

Now, I want all those who have ever held an opinion on soccer to comment on this game. I beg of you, for things have been rather...lacking on this part of the boards and we need a heavy debate to resurge our interest in girls soccer. I'll be the first to admit that my boredom has led me to view that "other" site (cough) covering (by 'covering' the poster here actually means 'slight acknowledgement equivalent to ratings of the last NASA launch') SC soccer. Like Lebron and the NBA, Family Guy and Cartoon Network, and Beckham and his concubines-we have a reason to pay attention again!

R1C

World Cup
World Cup
(Leadership by Example)

Us uneducated Upstations have several questions and thoughts towards this game. I'm worried that Wando's injuries in the previous loss, combined with the goal via pk and "The Header felt 'round the World" keeps observers from feeling 100% that WA would win the 3rd match up if indeed playoffs allowed. In fact, S1 comments about Wando's "better match" scare me that maybe the best team didn't win.

If this doesn't get things started you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would agree that the goalies' play was magnificent on both sides in the WA-Wando game.
This game could have easily been a 6-6 type of score.
The wind did have a significant impact on play.

re the hand ball - in my opinion it definitely wasn't intentional so I guess ref was using his judgement.

Sorry R1C - I know we have been rather genteel and boring lately.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard