Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
World Cup
World Cup
So what you're saying is that WA goal was cheap and unearned-That if the wind had been more subtle things would have been different-And that the official was an obvious supporter of the west cooper tribe. That is what you're implying, correct?

(Keep kicking that anthill you fool!!!)

So all in all, would you say you were impressed with the higher ranked opponent, or were your initial observations from the first game confirmed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What Ant hill? You are poking a wasps nest with a stick!!!
Both teams are good and hopefully they can give mighty Mauldin a match - assuming James island doesn't walk away with the whole thing.

How is that for politically correct?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
I'm still looking for some ideas on how a handball in the box can generate a yellow. If it was inadvertant than you should just get the pk. If it was a deliberate attempt to stop a goal then it should have been a red. Now maybe the card was for something other than the handball, but then you have to suppose two penalties on the same play. Any help here from refs out there?

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
S1-a thousand plagues on your house

Lapf, could you elaborate on the exact position of the girl's hand during the call-in-question? Did the limb have a "swinging" motion or was it stationairy and a victim of human balance?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAf,
That was our debate in stands as well. If it was inadvertant then it should just be the PK. If it was deliberate then it is a red. I thought it was inadvertant as there was a major scrum going on at the time. Players trying to clear it (or get it in goal - depending on the team) with heads, knees,feet,hips, etc.

I even saw a certain D1 head coach scratching his head over that one.

S
Goal
Goal
S
From the Charleston paper today:

quote:
Wildcats' wild win

West Ashley overcomes Wando in penalty-kick shootout
WEST ASHLEY 3, WANDO 2

BY PHILIP M. BOWMAN
Of The Post and Courier Staff
MOUNT PLEASANT -- Improbable? Yes.

Impossible? No.

If you're West Ashley girls' soccer star Danielle Jordan, you can do just about anything, and that includes scoring a goal in the final second of the second overtime to tie the score at 2-2 in a match that means everything.

Jordan did just that against Wando on Tuesday night, sending the match into a penalty-kick shootout. West Ashley won in the sixth round as Andrea Wieters fired in the winning shot to give the Wildcats a 3-2 victory in the Region 7-AAAA showdown at the Wando Athletic Complex.

With the final seconds ticking off in the second overtime, the ball was loose in front of the Warriors' goal. Jordan, an all-state selection, managed to slip a header past sophomore keeper Morgan Wright as time expired for the most improbable goal of her star-studded career.

"I don't know what happened," Jordan said. "The ball was just coming at me. I don't know what happened. I was just on the end of it. I don't know what happened. I guess it was instincts. It was just the most amazing thing. I never scored a goal like that in my life.

Jordan, who scored both of West Ashley's goals in regulation, does know how vital the victory was. "It was important to us after the loss to James Island (on April 2). We needed this for a confidence booster heading into next week when we play James Island again."

Tuesday's match at home against James Island should determine the conference champion. West Ashley, No. 2 in the state, upped its record to 17-2-1 overall, 7-1 in conference play. Fourth-ranked Wando fell to 15-3-1, 6-2. Third-ranked James Island beat Stratford to go to 7-1 in 7-AAAA.

West Ashley is seeking its third consecutive state championship, and Tuesday night's win was another impressive accomplishment. The Wildcats have beaten national power Stratford Academy of Georgia and North Carolina force Cardinal Gibbons this season. Coach Drew McNeely is pleased with how his team has progressed and developed mental toughness.

"It's not so much whether or not we scored," he said of Jordan's goal. "It's just that this team believes in itself and finds a way to win. More importantly than what happened or however, we had a great chance in the first five (minute overtime) on a shot that went over, but we didn't left it affect us.

"I credit the kids for finding a way to win, and I give credit to Wando because they controlled most of the match," McNeely said. "We had moments when we played well, but Wando controlled the match. There's no reason for them to drop their heads."

Emily Fortner scored both Wando goals. The sophomore's goal in the 52nd minute made it 1-0. Fourteen minutes later, Jordan scored on a penalty kick after Greta Hewett was called for a handball.

Fortner gave Wando a 2-1 lead in the 83rd minute, and the Warriors seemed to have it in the bag. But Jordan's buzzer-beater sent the match to penalty kicks.

In the sixth round, Wieters made her kick and Wando's last chance came down to Laura Saunders. But her shot sailed over the crossbar, and West Ashley had the win.

It marked the first time in West Ashley's brief history that the Wildcats have beaten Wando twice in the regular season.

"I've said it to my parents and I've said it my players: Whoever survives Region 7-AAAA will be in good shape, and hopefully take the whole kit and caboodle," McNeely said. "We're battle-tested. I don't think there is any other region that can boast 2, 3 and 4 in the state standings right now. On any given night, it's just a matter of who wants it. Tonight, Wando really played with a lot of heart. We just had to drop back and withstand."

World Cup
World Cup
Class Act. Very well stated by players and Coach. Was the game a physical, scrappy encounter with any deliberate fouls? It seemed to be quite clean according to all post and newspaper comments. If my observation is correct, it's nice to see (well, read about) such high level soccer played with sportsmanship in place.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mentioned it in an earlier thread, but all games this year have had 3 man crews refereeing the games. I have not had a reason to vorificiously (sic?) complain about the referreeing, Though there was 1 WA fan who was particularly vocal and critical ( orange shirt and faded purple cap).
Which leads me to your question - With better referreeing (sic?) there is less opportunity for cheap shots which can escalate.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unintentional handeling is not a foul and would not get a PK, I hear parents screaming every time the ball hits a hand/arm "handball ref". I would assume that this one was intentional to get a card and PK. Here is an exerpt from a refing course...

"Handling the ball deliberately: Few rules in soccer are so simple, yet so often misunderstood as the one making deliberate handling of the ball an offense. The language police may seem insufferable to fuss at people for calling it a "handball", but this time they have a point: this terminology is not a harmlessly incorrect informality like calling offside instead "offsides", but instead subtly misleads toward incorrect understanding of the rule itself. It is a rule against deliberately playing the ball with the hands or arms, i.e. "handling" it, and not a rule against the ball striking the hand and arms during play, i.e. a "handball". Law 12 establishes two requirements before handling the ball is considered a foul:

The handling must be deliberate (not accidental) - in other words, there must be an intent to play the ball with the hand or arm.
The hand/arm must actually come into contact with the ball (i.e., it is not an offense to swing and miss - although some referees might consider this to be unsporting behavior which would warrant a caution)."

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
soccercoach --

In this case, the ball had been served in from a corner, played out and was lofted back in toward the left goal post. The WA forward, in a crowd, had jumped to attempt a header just in front of the goalie and the defender. The defender's hands were high, as were the goalie's and the ball was deflected out of play. It was not clear to me if the handball was deliberate, but high hands suggested this. The ref immediately pulled the yellow, sent the defender off the field and placed the ball for a pk. No argument from anyone involved. Thanks for your input.

lpaf

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard