Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Take your pick. Region 7 tries again to sort itself out with two major confrontations this week. West Ashley ventures to the land of straight teeth, upscale imported bottled water and really nice cars on Tuesday to face Wando East of the Cooper. WA took advantage of a Wando team hampered by injuries earlier in the season and version 2 of this lowerstate struggle will impact the architecture of the lower state playoff brackets. Friday brings the rematch of James Island and Wando on JI. The Lady Trojans lost to Wando in their first meeting in PK's. Since then they have bumped off then number one West Ashley and have yet, as my analysis runs, to give up a goal in regulation play. Next week gives us the rematch of West Ashley and James Island on 4/27 that should seal who will win Region 7 outright. There's little doubt the best girls' HS soccer in SC will take place in Charleston over the next 10 days. More later.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dreher plays Flora and BC this week. BC lost to Flora last week, so Dreher has to beat Flora again and BC to win the region outright.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the Upstate, Eastside Lady Eagles play the Mavericks at Mauldin in a non-conference game. After last week's bitter 0-1 loss to Greenville and losing only 0-2 to Mauldin in their first match-up, Eastside should be primed and ready to make the move to victory and the march to a second state title. (Big dreams, I know.) Freshman forward Bielby will be back after an injury and could be the difference along with a healthier defensive line (flu).

But first on Monday night is Traveler's Rest who held the girls for 20 or so minutes to no score in their first game.

Tuesday night Riverside will be playing Greenville who are full of confidence after winning against Eastside.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hold little hope of anyone taking the State Title from West Ashley. Unless James Island can repeat their convincing victory.

Of course, I predicted earlier that Mauldin is being scary quiet - just waiting until Columbia in May I guess.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Eastside 3 Traveler's Rest 0

The grass was as long as the late afternoon shadows. The ball was as ripe as a fallen ripe peach (until the referee replaced it 20 minutes in to the first half). The pace of the game was as comfortable as a summer Sunday afternoon at the park. In spite of all this, Eastside scored early (:03) on a shot by freshman forward #10 Martin that was knocked down by the Devil Dog's goalie and finished by freshman forward #3 Bielby.

The Lady Eagles seemed satisfied until half-time when coach reminded them that Mauldin was coming up. Eastside started picking up the pace and taking some more shots allowing freshman forward #3 Bielby to feed junior midfielder #9 Cirillo a square pass about 25 yards out which she launched from the right side of the field over the goalie's head into the left side of the goal (:63). The bridge was breached and senior forward #13 Culbertson fed freshman #10 Martin a sweet thru pass at the top of the box which she put away for the third and final goal (:72).

Junior goalie #00 Rankin had one save and sophomore #0 Hayes had one save to preserve the shut-out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wando - West Ashley was a nail biter. 1-1 at end of regulation. Wando scored on a great effort by Fortner who fought off a defender to finish a great shot. West Ashley scored off a PK when there was an inadvertant handball in the box.Wando went up 2-1 in the 2nd overtime on a good combination between McGinty and Fortner, then with literally 1 second left
WA tied the game on a header by Jordan off of a long pass into the box.
PK's were interesting. it went 3-3 in the 1st 5, then on the 6th kick WA converted and Wando did not.
Call it my biased opinion but I think Wando had the better of the match during regulation.

Both teams got a good warm up for the play offs.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WA v Wando

It's the most fun you can have for $4, at least until the JI v Wando game on Friday. Hats off to both goalies, but especially to Alecia Brothers of WA for a show of aggressive athleticism late in the game when WA defensive breakdowns presented Wando with great crossing opportunities. The handball in the box that allowed WA's first score on a PK generated a yellow for the defender. I wondered if it should not have been a red as it appeared to be an imminent scoring opportunity for WA stopped by illegal use of hands. I don't ref (and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night) but would welcome an interpretation of how a yellow card could have been given in this situation. The wind (about 15 miles an hour) played a significant role with WA struggling to move against it in the first half and most of the offense being played in front of the Wando goal in the second half until Wando begin to drive the ball on the ground down the right late in the game. This game was remniscent of the lower state playoff game two years ago with two very evenly matched teams playing their hearts out for regulation and throughout the full 2 overtime periods. A special recognition to WA for literally not giving up the hope of tying the game -- the center ref was counting down the last 10 seconds as Danielle Jordan headed the ball in as he got to "1".

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
Fantastic!!!

Now, I want all those who have ever held an opinion on soccer to comment on this game. I beg of you, for things have been rather...lacking on this part of the boards and we need a heavy debate to resurge our interest in girls soccer. I'll be the first to admit that my boredom has led me to view that "other" site (cough) covering (by 'covering' the poster here actually means 'slight acknowledgement equivalent to ratings of the last NASA launch') SC soccer. Like Lebron and the NBA, Family Guy and Cartoon Network, and Beckham and his concubines-we have a reason to pay attention again!

R1C

World Cup
World Cup
(Leadership by Example)

Us uneducated Upstations have several questions and thoughts towards this game. I'm worried that Wando's injuries in the previous loss, combined with the goal via pk and "The Header felt 'round the World" keeps observers from feeling 100% that WA would win the 3rd match up if indeed playoffs allowed. In fact, S1 comments about Wando's "better match" scare me that maybe the best team didn't win.

If this doesn't get things started you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would agree that the goalies' play was magnificent on both sides in the WA-Wando game.
This game could have easily been a 6-6 type of score.
The wind did have a significant impact on play.

re the hand ball - in my opinion it definitely wasn't intentional so I guess ref was using his judgement.

Sorry R1C - I know we have been rather genteel and boring lately.

World Cup
World Cup
So what you're saying is that WA goal was cheap and unearned-That if the wind had been more subtle things would have been different-And that the official was an obvious supporter of the west cooper tribe. That is what you're implying, correct?

(Keep kicking that anthill you fool!!!)

So all in all, would you say you were impressed with the higher ranked opponent, or were your initial observations from the first game confirmed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What Ant hill? You are poking a wasps nest with a stick!!!
Both teams are good and hopefully they can give mighty Mauldin a match - assuming James island doesn't walk away with the whole thing.

How is that for politically correct?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
I'm still looking for some ideas on how a handball in the box can generate a yellow. If it was inadvertant than you should just get the pk. If it was a deliberate attempt to stop a goal then it should have been a red. Now maybe the card was for something other than the handball, but then you have to suppose two penalties on the same play. Any help here from refs out there?

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
S1-a thousand plagues on your house

Lapf, could you elaborate on the exact position of the girl's hand during the call-in-question? Did the limb have a "swinging" motion or was it stationairy and a victim of human balance?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAf,
That was our debate in stands as well. If it was inadvertant then it should just be the PK. If it was deliberate then it is a red. I thought it was inadvertant as there was a major scrum going on at the time. Players trying to clear it (or get it in goal - depending on the team) with heads, knees,feet,hips, etc.

I even saw a certain D1 head coach scratching his head over that one.

S
Goal
Goal
S
From the Charleston paper today:

quote:
Wildcats' wild win

West Ashley overcomes Wando in penalty-kick shootout
WEST ASHLEY 3, WANDO 2

BY PHILIP M. BOWMAN
Of The Post and Courier Staff
MOUNT PLEASANT -- Improbable? Yes.

Impossible? No.

If you're West Ashley girls' soccer star Danielle Jordan, you can do just about anything, and that includes scoring a goal in the final second of the second overtime to tie the score at 2-2 in a match that means everything.

Jordan did just that against Wando on Tuesday night, sending the match into a penalty-kick shootout. West Ashley won in the sixth round as Andrea Wieters fired in the winning shot to give the Wildcats a 3-2 victory in the Region 7-AAAA showdown at the Wando Athletic Complex.

With the final seconds ticking off in the second overtime, the ball was loose in front of the Warriors' goal. Jordan, an all-state selection, managed to slip a header past sophomore keeper Morgan Wright as time expired for the most improbable goal of her star-studded career.

"I don't know what happened," Jordan said. "The ball was just coming at me. I don't know what happened. I was just on the end of it. I don't know what happened. I guess it was instincts. It was just the most amazing thing. I never scored a goal like that in my life.

Jordan, who scored both of West Ashley's goals in regulation, does know how vital the victory was. "It was important to us after the loss to James Island (on April 2). We needed this for a confidence booster heading into next week when we play James Island again."

Tuesday's match at home against James Island should determine the conference champion. West Ashley, No. 2 in the state, upped its record to 17-2-1 overall, 7-1 in conference play. Fourth-ranked Wando fell to 15-3-1, 6-2. Third-ranked James Island beat Stratford to go to 7-1 in 7-AAAA.

West Ashley is seeking its third consecutive state championship, and Tuesday night's win was another impressive accomplishment. The Wildcats have beaten national power Stratford Academy of Georgia and North Carolina force Cardinal Gibbons this season. Coach Drew McNeely is pleased with how his team has progressed and developed mental toughness.

"It's not so much whether or not we scored," he said of Jordan's goal. "It's just that this team believes in itself and finds a way to win. More importantly than what happened or however, we had a great chance in the first five (minute overtime) on a shot that went over, but we didn't left it affect us.

"I credit the kids for finding a way to win, and I give credit to Wando because they controlled most of the match," McNeely said. "We had moments when we played well, but Wando controlled the match. There's no reason for them to drop their heads."

Emily Fortner scored both Wando goals. The sophomore's goal in the 52nd minute made it 1-0. Fourteen minutes later, Jordan scored on a penalty kick after Greta Hewett was called for a handball.

Fortner gave Wando a 2-1 lead in the 83rd minute, and the Warriors seemed to have it in the bag. But Jordan's buzzer-beater sent the match to penalty kicks.

In the sixth round, Wieters made her kick and Wando's last chance came down to Laura Saunders. But her shot sailed over the crossbar, and West Ashley had the win.

It marked the first time in West Ashley's brief history that the Wildcats have beaten Wando twice in the regular season.

"I've said it to my parents and I've said it my players: Whoever survives Region 7-AAAA will be in good shape, and hopefully take the whole kit and caboodle," McNeely said. "We're battle-tested. I don't think there is any other region that can boast 2, 3 and 4 in the state standings right now. On any given night, it's just a matter of who wants it. Tonight, Wando really played with a lot of heart. We just had to drop back and withstand."

World Cup
World Cup
Class Act. Very well stated by players and Coach. Was the game a physical, scrappy encounter with any deliberate fouls? It seemed to be quite clean according to all post and newspaper comments. If my observation is correct, it's nice to see (well, read about) such high level soccer played with sportsmanship in place.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mentioned it in an earlier thread, but all games this year have had 3 man crews refereeing the games. I have not had a reason to vorificiously (sic?) complain about the referreeing, Though there was 1 WA fan who was particularly vocal and critical ( orange shirt and faded purple cap).
Which leads me to your question - With better referreeing (sic?) there is less opportunity for cheap shots which can escalate.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unintentional handeling is not a foul and would not get a PK, I hear parents screaming every time the ball hits a hand/arm "handball ref". I would assume that this one was intentional to get a card and PK. Here is an exerpt from a refing course...

"Handling the ball deliberately: Few rules in soccer are so simple, yet so often misunderstood as the one making deliberate handling of the ball an offense. The language police may seem insufferable to fuss at people for calling it a "handball", but this time they have a point: this terminology is not a harmlessly incorrect informality like calling offside instead "offsides", but instead subtly misleads toward incorrect understanding of the rule itself. It is a rule against deliberately playing the ball with the hands or arms, i.e. "handling" it, and not a rule against the ball striking the hand and arms during play, i.e. a "handball". Law 12 establishes two requirements before handling the ball is considered a foul:

The handling must be deliberate (not accidental) - in other words, there must be an intent to play the ball with the hand or arm.
The hand/arm must actually come into contact with the ball (i.e., it is not an offense to swing and miss - although some referees might consider this to be unsporting behavior which would warrant a caution)."

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
soccercoach --

In this case, the ball had been served in from a corner, played out and was lofted back in toward the left goal post. The WA forward, in a crowd, had jumped to attempt a header just in front of the goalie and the defender. The defender's hands were high, as were the goalie's and the ball was deflected out of play. It was not clear to me if the handball was deliberate, but high hands suggested this. The ref immediately pulled the yellow, sent the defender off the field and placed the ball for a pk. No argument from anyone involved. Thanks for your input.

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

There were no cheap shots in the game and it was not the most physical match I've seen this year. Wando does more pushing from the back than I like to see but much of this was called. Fouls were about 3:1 against Wando. Interestingly, I thought several Wando players fell down a lot in their first offensive posession of the second half but they regained their sense of balance after the center ref spoke informally to one of their forwards.

lpaf

S
Goal
Goal
S
quote:
Originally posted by laplageauxfolles:
Interestingly, I thought several Wando players fell down a lot in their first offensive posession of the second half but they regained their sense of balance after the center ref spoke informally to one of their forwards.

Perhaps the strong wind was throwing them off balance [Big Grin]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think after one of Wando's forwards was viciously and undeservingly taken out of the play (in the box by the way), the ref belatedly noticed the compound fracture of the shin. He then came over to the forward to ask if she needed an ambulance.(ok - maybe I exagerate a little but not much).
I have vowed not to initiate flames but will defend Warriors honor until death!!!

World Cup
World Cup
They probably offered them some quality advice about balance and correct positioning to aid in future 50/50 balls. Stand Up Guys.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

You do just hate those compound fractures. All that blood and stuff on the field. I did mean to ask (more seriously) if the Lady Warriors had recovered from the injuries you referenced earlier in the season. WA was full strength except for the loss of Shayna Lee (defender) to knee surgery a couple of weeks ago.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hudson and McGinty did start for the first time in about a month last night. I did see a little rust but expect them to be primed for Round III - hopefully.

After 3 years of basically seeing the same starting line ups, both teams defended the other teams strengths very well.

Got to go - blue skies and favorable breezes call this mariner to sea.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why have Kelly and Lou not been starting?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Beaufort and Colleton County 1-3 CCHS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wando will have to refocus and get ready to visit JI Friday night. JI should be heavily favored with the lighter game earlier this week and after showing WA who is boss with the 2-0 shut out a couple of weeks ago.

World Cup
World Cup
Oh, now that is more like it!!! For the line "...who is boss..." you get a gold star for the thought gerenade S1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bc defeated Dreher in the last 15 seconds on a goal by Junior Mallory Phillips. They won 4-3. Speaking of Refs, we have only had 2 refs all season unlike our more affluent coastal soccer buddies:)~ But one of the refs tried everything to help Dreher, calling a PK, and a direct kick that were both goals for Dreher. Christian Patton scored BC's first goal off a pass from Emily Logan Setzler and Emily Logan scored off a cross from Mallory. The third goal was scored by Mallory as well. Lots of scrapping with the #18's on both teams, but BC kept getting called on 50/50 balls. Mr. Cockfield did a good job, but his cohert needs another course on the rules.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
R1C is really looking for a donnybrook to break out, aren't you. Thought mine was relatively harmless and only a bow towards JI and their juggernaut.

World Cup
World Cup
Forgive me. I'm still waking up with cold sweats. I keep having these reoccuring nightmares about spring break and boards with one post per day. Allow me to compliment your Wando squad. Ahem, so, it seems like Wando might finish third in the region yet remain in the top 5. That's quite an accomplishment and says many positive things for the program and its difficult scheduling. They'll be the brightest dark horse for the state championship in recent years. Hope to see you in Columbia. Sigh, that was tough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
R1C,
My current strategy is to lob softballs out there and hope that WA and JI focus on each other and forget about Wando. It is our only hope.
Don't worry Coach, there are a couple of interesting topics looming over the horizon that will surely give you someting to salivate over.

S1.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

Focus on the island the last few days has been mostly on the invaders from East of the Cooper. Rumor has it the JI Backyard may not be the friendliest place in the world for the Lady Warriors tonight. But enough speculation, lets go watch some soccer!

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Wando 3 at James Island 2 (OT)

I'll leave the game analysis to S1. McGinty scored two pretty Wando goals from around 30 yards out. More physical than the WA v Wando game on Tuesday with a more laissez-faire center ref. WA v JI (at West Ashley) on Tuesday will determine whether WA wins Region 7 outright or everybody gets some share of the pie with identical 2 loss records.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was looking all game for a raid from out of the blue based on your prediction of an unfriendly reception.
I enjoy going to see good soccer games like what we are getting out of Region 7. However, this was the first game where I found myself scratching my head over several of the calls.
James Island is very talented and great quickness. The Trojans pounced on an unfortunate defensive lapse deep in Wando's own 18 to take a quick 1-0 lead and sending the JI Home Crowd into a horn blowing frenzy. Not a minute later, McGinty did respond with a rocket from 30 yds.
Rest of first half was back and forth with no real advantage.
2nd half - with 20 to go the ref made a foul call on Wando's defense in the box. I thought his original call for a direct kick was correct. After injured Trojan was removed from field and Wando's wall set up ( I am talking of 5 minutes or more), the asst ref from line overruled the middle and awarded JI a PK.

Wando upped the pressure and with a little under 5 to go, Hudson scored off a beautiful header from a long direct kick.

Overtime was decided fairly early with Wando getting off another long shot. Remainder of overtimes was a lot of long balls from both teams
as JI was trying to press the attack and Wando was putting the ball long into JI's defensive end

Game was physical with 2 Wando girls and 3 JI girls getting taken off the field. I saw an air of determination from Wando tonight that should take them far into the playoffs - until they see JI or WA again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard