Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Congratulations to Coach Lauren Eudy and Coach Ken Smith and the Lady Bearcats for winning the Region V-AAA Championship today with a hard-earned 4-3 victory over Dreher at Memorial Stadium. B-C led 3-1 at the half, but the Lady Blue Devils fought back and tied the match 3-3 and the game was decided in overtime!

The Lady Bearcats could have let the "Big Mo" (momentum) switch after squandering a two-goal lead, but they showed great resolve as a team to overcome the crisis. [Wink] (for the BC Unit)

Best of luck to the girls in the playoffs - bring home a State Championship!!!

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Congrats to the Lady Bearcats (what exactly is a bear cat, half bear half cat?) for their region win. Best of luck in the playoffs.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,

I believe the Bearcat is a close relative of your beloved "Trojan Cat" from West Island High.

Actually, following extensive research (OK, 1 mouse click), I have learned that a Bearcat is an "arboreal civet of Asia having a long prehensile tail and shaggy black hair". I think I saw several folks fitting that description at the WalMart last night. [Razz]

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
FoxFan --

You have a good memory. Thanks for the information on arboreal civets. Regarding the long prehensile tail, is the goalie the only player allowed to use it? Go Bearcats!

lpaf

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Despite extensive, but unsuccessful research regarding the true origins of the Brookland-Cayce High School nickname, here are some facts on BCHS and the Bearcats:

(1) The communities of Brookland (now West Columbia) and Cayce opened a new high school between the hub of the two cities in 1932. The Cayce business center was 1 mile away on Frink Street, while the Brookland (not Brooklyn) center was 1 mile away on Meeting Street. The school site selected was on the connecting street, State Street, and is the mid-point of the two old communities. In keeping with the BC moniker, it is believed the students selected BearCats as the nickname, hence the current Bearcats.

(2) What is a bearcat?? Interesting read.

(3) Also, there are several high schools and colleges throughout the nation that use the Bearcat nickname. In fact, Lander University in Greenwood, SC just changed their name from the Senators to the Bearcats last year. Of course, the University of Cincinnati has the most well-known Bearcats motif, but Binghamton University in New York gets my vote for the best logo!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,

While it is hardly ever called, a "prehensile tail ball" is a foul that results in an automatic ejection and a 2 game suspension for the offending party. Yes, the keepers are subject to the rule too.

Of course, there are other rule junkies on this site who will be quick to point out that this particular foul is actually known as "tailing" and involves members of the boys team attempting to interact with the girls team during breaks in their respective practices. Very few people understand or appreciate the actual nature of the foul, hence it is hardly ever called.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
FF --

But you know it never fails in the few instances where I was pretty sure there was a tail ball infraction you find yourself surrounded by would be refs who say that it was really ball to tail and not a true tail ball. I think intent is difficult to determine sometimes. As for the possibility of co-ed fouls, I favor keeping tail and ball as far apart as possible, being the father/step-father of 5 daughters.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,

Having 2 daughters myself, I agree. That's why the penalty is so harsh. Regarding intent, I think all fathers of daughters can agree on the intent of the offending party. There's no such thing as an "inadvertent tail ball." That would be a classic example of an oxymoron.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Indeed. Good talking to you, FF. Again, good luck to the Bearcats.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
soccer......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard