Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
S! --

Did you see or hear anyone using an air horn?

lpaf

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Any commentary on the upstate 4A matches would be appreciated.

lpaf

D
throw in
throw in
D
From the Greenville News this morning:
Fort Mill 1, Spartanburg 0
Emerald 2, Christ Church 0

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAF,
I am sorry that you weren't at the game (I hope to someday meet you) and are going on heresay. Your opinion of Coach Ferguson is also legendary. My opinion of DM is about as high so I will try to avoid derogatory comments about coaching if you will.

Wando substituted heavily the whole game. He was substituting starters out as early as the 1st 5 minute mark in the 1st half. Even the Wando parents that I was sitting near were confused as to why so much substituting was going on. Apparently, Wando took to heart the published comments that JI has a lot of depth and in better shape than most teams and was trying to keep legs fresh for the end of the game. It almost got Wando in trouble at about the 15 minute mark in 2nd half as they were at one point with 4 of their 5 senior starters out of the game at same time - including all of the midfield starters. At this point JI made their most dangerous move at scoring all night.

As to the air horns incident, the middle referee stopped the game at the 2 minute mark ad went to both coaches and wanred them that if "HE" heard an air horn again, he was calling the game. Middle referee instructed both coaches to go their fans and warned them and Stella and Scott came over and warned crowd. One of my Wando students said they saw it amongst the body painted JI students who were crowding the rail.

I personally did not see an air horn and crowd was the loudest I have heard all year with hundreds (maybe a thousand?) of fans and students in attendance. An air horn could be mistaken for a final horn from the clock and cause inadvertant stoppage on the field so I can understand the warning.

It was a great crowd for both sides and mutual respect for both teams was shown by all.

I know R1C would love for us to come out swinging, though I am quite well aware that I stand no chance against you! I look forward to the match of the season next Tuesday at Wildcat field.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
S! --

Thanks for the airhorn update. You were quite vocal about Coach Ferguson's substituting technique last year and in the 6 Wando games I have watched this year it has certainly continued. He uses it very effectively to limit momentum on the part of the opposing team and give his girls a bit of a breather which he must feel they need. I saw the orange and blue body painted students on television last night, a nice touch for JI and reflective of our more barbaric (ie Braveheart) island culture -- but they appeared to be more naked than clothed. I wonder where they could have hidden that airhorn?

Last year I droned on excessively about Coach Ferguson's 2002 News and Courier quote (after losing Lower State to WA in PK's "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.") but this year I have not even brought it up. He is a very successful coach who employs creative tools to achieve his ends.

lpaf

ps: But if you were looking to give your team a break late in a tight game, having one of your own fans blow a concealed airhorn at the 2 minute mark would be clever, wouldn't it? Just kidding...

pps: Region 7. Best girls' soccer in the state. Look out upstate, here we come...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went back and cleaned up my 1st post so it made more sense. I was this Board had spell check.
Your memory is too good! I am trying to leave all my negative comments in past as well and so far so good - I hope.

Got to go, Open water training today.

S1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congrats to Myrtle Beach on their big win over Dreher. It is nice to see a team from this area going so far in playoffs. Just because it couldn't be us(CF) doesn't mean I'm not happy for you guys. Joel, tell everybody Nurin says congratulations.

S
Goal
Goal
S
quote:
Originally posted by laplageauxfolles:
Last year I droned on excessively about Coach Ferguson's 2002 News and Courier quote (after losing Lower State to WA in PK's "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.") but this year I have not even brought it up.

Well, the Newsless Courier apparently remembered it, they included a reference to luck in their article this morning:

quote:
Wando girls hang on for 1-0 win

AAAA GIRLS' SOCCER

BY ANDREW MOSIER
Special to The Post and Courier

When two top-rated teams face off in do-or-die circumstances, the game, more often than not, is decided by the brilliance, skill, or the luck of one person. That certainly was the case in Friday night's match between Wando (20-3-1) and James Island (18-4-1) in the third round of the Class AAAA girls' soccer playoffs.

A 16th-minute Emily Fortner goal was all Wando needed to beat James Island 1-0, and advance to the state semi-finals against West Ashley on Tuesday.

Fortner, who had just come on as a substitute, one of the many reserves Warriors' coach Scott Ferguson used to keep his side fresh in their third game since Monday, collected the ball outside the James Island penalty area off a deflected clearance.

She settled the ball with her left foot and turned her marker to the inside and went around her the other way. A slight fake with her head left James Island goalkeeper Cydney Carson badly beaten and Fortner tapped the ball over the line for the score.

The goal woke up the sleeping Trojans offense, which mounted several spirited attacks. Twice from her left flank position Katlyn Chase nearly leveled the score.

Chase, who worked the left flank tirelessly the entire night took the ball from midfield, beat her defender, and launched a left-footed blast on goal that missed the far top corner by less than an inch.

Five minutes later, again she nearly found the back of the net with a hard-driven left-footed shot that Wando keeper Morgan Wright saved diving to her left.

In the second half as James Island played for its life, Wando settled comfortably in the back, repeatedly denying Trojan attackers scoring opportunities. Along with solid play from the back line, Wando never let the injury-riddled James Island midfield gain control of the ball, or the game.

The Warriors' tactic to play back and play up to speedy front-runners who were substituted in on a regular basis nearly resulted in a second goal with 10 minutes remaining.

Carson was forced 30 yards off her line, to clear a ball Kelly McGinty would have otherwise gathered easily and marched toward goal with nothing but green grass in front of her.

Carson was called on again in the waning minutes of the match, deflecting a thunderous McGinty shot over the crossbar.

The win pits Wando against rival West Ashley on Tuesday for Lower State bragging rights and a berth into the state championship Friday.

Despite having lost twice to the Wildcats during the season, the Warriors are confident in their play going into the game on the Wildcats' home field.

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
late last night - Academic Magnet girls beat Waccamaw - 2-1 I think

World Cup
World Cup
S1--I hope you know my intentions are not to instigate and watch a mouthy post/reply battle of wits. I only wish to comfortably sit back in my chair and view this board blossoming with the radiance of many intelligent post. Can you tell I'm doing yard work today?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard