Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do not profess to know all the ancient lore about our fair town but I have encountered a slight rise in the terrain in Old Village. Perhaps old dunes. elevation can't be more than 20-30 feet above sea level but to those early charlestonians (who lived below sea level) it may have looked like a mount!
You are the native around here aren't you?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
No, an upstate transplant, though in 27 years here I have pretty good roots. I checked with my office compatriot of old Charleston stock and he concurred on the slight bluff in the old village theory.

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

No more Python?

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
???

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

Come on R!C, you're being coy here. Anyone can see you're earlier quote "I spit in your general direction." is a close paraphrase of the exchange between King Arthur and the French castle guard in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail. It's part of cinematic comedy's greatest dialogues:

French Soldier: "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

lpaf

ps: Can I say fart here?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Arthur: Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
French Soldier: No, now go away before I taunt you a second time.

World Cup
World Cup
I am sorry. No, my quote was not from the movie (intentionally), but from an old "Tenacious D" song about Superman. Mighty Python is a film they should make into a very detailed book, in which both are a state standard for all public school grades are made to see, 6-12.

Why have you not found the origin of my quote concerning M'Cola??? Surely one of your extended knowledge would see through my attempts to impress with American Literature! Oh, maybe it is the Blue Ribbon creeping in my veins that demands so much of you. Fine, think about Green Hills.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

Sorry, I haven't had the pleasure of making Tenacious D's acquaintaince. But if you weren't referencing Monty Python, chances are good TD was. I agree about Monty Python being required viewing. (It isn't???)

"Hemmingway and Aiken. To the saltlick M'Cola!!!"
I had kind of figured Ernest had been relegated to the inappropriately politically correct trash heap of mid 20th century English literature. Afterall, he celebrated male dominant violence over nature. (Poor fish billfish and bulls!) I will be quick to admit that the "M'Cola" part both eluded and still eludes me. But overall there is about 50% of your commentary that I don't understand and I just dropped this into that category. My shortcoming, I have always figured, and not yours. "Saltlick" was interesting in someone with Aiken connnections given the equestrian connection, but I couldn't get it to point anywhere in particular. Take care and enjoy your vacation. Heaven knows you've earned it.

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
Sigh. That is the last time I try to use "Green Hills of Africa" to try and impress someone. I finally read a book and there is no one to celebrate with. Maybe I can make more translatable comments if I took up Sand Castle making. Until next week...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
R1C,
Hemingway is spelled with 1 "m," not two. Unless of course you are F. Scott who constantly misspelled Hemingway's name in his letters to Papa.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard