Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
World Cup
World Cup
Just came in from my tour of Charleston County. Stayed in North Charleston (hmmmmmmmmm), visited Folly on Saturday, Isle of Palms on Sunday, and Sullivans on Monday. That area is like its own country. I'm amazed that you have not adopted your own regional dialect, followed by years of civil war that ravage the land.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

Hope your visit to the lowcountry was enjoyable. Which of the communities mentioned still appeared war ravaged? Rivers Avenue and Ashley Phosphate in North Charleston and 17 North between the Cooper River Bridges and 526 would be my candidates for that title. As for regional dialects, did you talk to any locals?

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
My comments were to insinuate that there are a great deal of differences in that one area. For example, while in Mt. Pleasant I had a unusual experience. For the first time ever I had a gas clerk look down her nose at me. Another point of interest was driving down 5-something or 7-something on the way to the beach, I had a Lexus SUV in front, BMW SUV to the side, and a four dour Mercedes behind. *Note to reader-the Mercedes was a bit older and a Diesel* While doing the scenic bit with the significant other on Sullivans, I noticed a monumental difference in the quality of houses stationed there as opposed to Isle of Palms. Crossing over the bridge brought to light a sudden upgrade in residential homes. On a stroll, I commented to a man that I thought his house was lovely. Looking insulted he said "That is my shed. That (turning to the adjacent structure resembling a hotel) is my house." However, those good people allowed my dog on the beach despite here severe bowel movements from drinking salt water and having numerous enema-giving waves crash on top of her.

Folly seemed a bit laid back and more middle class. Many, many, many young folks there. Some very nice and well kept houses there (read b/t the lines). The dog could not come and was relegated to the hotel, however, save for the hours before 10am and after 6pm. I did see one naked hispanic baby streak past my chair while sunning.

All jokes aside, the place was beautiful. I tried to figure out the school zoning areas. For instance, I assume the downtown houses and surrounding areas are WA, with JI (obviously) and Folly being JI. All of Mt. Pleasant and that side of the river being Wando. My curiousity is about North Charleston. Is that where NC high school and Stratfod both are? Where are the residents of R.B. Stall plucked from?

Don't forget to Go Fish with Henry Fishburne and vote for some very attractive man named Ravenel.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

School zoning for Charleston County:

A somewhat small but concise picture of who goes where is at the following address http://www.ccsdschools.com/districts.cfm?subject_id=2&district=4#4 .

Wando is suburban East of the Cooper, including resort communities of Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms. James Island is JI and Folly Beach. West Ashley does not pick up the peninsula (old Charleston) but rather takes in the west bank of the Ashley along highway 61 (immortalized by Bob Dylan) and extends out along the near Savannah Highway. Downtown Charleston is Burke HS, known perhaps more for basketball than soccer. Most of the kids from the affluent areas of old Charleston go to private schools Porter Gaud (no r's -- "poh taw gawd"), BE, Ashley Hall or the excellent public magnet school Academic Magnet, located in North Charleston.

Up toward North Charleston you have RB Stall HS to the west side of I 26, North Charleston HS to the east of I 26, and Hanahan HS which must be Berkeley County but is situated close to North Charleston and for the time being still picks up all the kids, I think, from Daniel Island (the new peninsula).

Stratford HS is further up I 26 just to the east of the interstate and Goose Creek HS is closer to the geographic center of Goose Creek, where ever that is.

John's Island is Johns HS (to the west of JI), and further still down highway 17 to the west is the hinter lands of Baptist Hill HS serving Edisto Island, Hollywood and Ravenel. To the east of Wando is the rural area of Charleston County extending up highway 17, and Lincoln HS.

BE is the interesting anomaly in this picture, competing at the A - AA level but with a large geographic draw that extends far beyond the reach of any public HS, considerable affluence and a rich soccer tradition.

Hope that helps. Anthony Pelton or one of the other lowcountry coaches could probably refine the picture a bit.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,
You pretty much nailed it.
Don't forget... Summmerville is Summerville and Fort Dorchester is the other side of Summerville, along Dorchester Rd,past NCharleston.

MC

World Cup
World Cup
Well, that is just great. Thank you all.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WF84 --

Come on... R!C tried to give the "downtown" soccer players to WA. We needed a primer here. I did think about extending into Dorchester and Colleton counties, but just didn't have the wherewithall to do it. I did forget to mention that BE sold what was some of the most valuable property in "Old Charleston" to the College of Charleston in order to buy what had to be some of the most expensive property on Daniel Island...

Now, can someone explain the line between Traveler's Rest and Pumpkinville to me?

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
ps: I probably would have invoked the terms "oakbrook", "Ladson" or "Frankie's Fun Park" to better explain where Fort D actually is.

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
R!C --

TMI. I know. Sorry.

World Cup
World Cup
No, It is always enjoyable to read any sort of post this time of year. We have growing concerns in our area of the Wren High School commnunity. Many posh, ritzy, high-level-club-affording parents have sought refuge in this community outside of Greenville and Anderson. Powdersville (sounds more like a Johnny D movie) has the "Rich White Athlete" that tends to do so well in soccer. Funny thing is their football team is horrendous, but the basketball team shows quite well. Got to work on those border lines...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard