Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#45567 02/21/05 12:32 AM
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
wasn't there supposed to be an "all-tournament" team selected? does anyone know who made this?

#45568 02/21/05 02:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There was an all-tournament team
Ellen Bryan(9th) made it for Aiken High

#45569 02/21/05 02:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JI advanced to the finals because they had 27 points to SA 26 points.

SA Points scored as follows:
Beat West Florence 7-0 (10 total Pts. Max)
6 Pts for win
3 Pts for max 3 goal diff
1 Pt. for shutout

Beat Ridge View 4-2 (8 Pts)
6 for win
2 for goal diff.

Beat Riverside 1-0 (8 Pts)
6 for win
1 Goal diff
1 Shut out

JI (From memory if I am correct)
Beat Riverside 2-1 (7 Pts)
6 for win
1 Goal Diff

Beat Chapin 6-0 (10 Pts)
6 for win
3 for goal diff
1 for shutout

Beat West Florence 5-0 (10 Pts)
6 for win
3 for goal diff
1 for shutout

More lopsided? Maybe but I wouldn't put Chapin in the same league as Ridge View so the tougher road to the finals was for SA. I would venture to guess that JI rested some players in their game against West Flo since it was 3-0 in the first 15 minutes (third party info). Considering both teams played Riverside and won with a 1 goal margin, one could argue they are pretty close. Who knows! We'll see in May! Good luck to all teams!

#45570 02/21/05 02:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It pretty much sucks that SA was undefeated in the Taco Tourney yet the rules made it so that they could not advance(should have been head to head play if anything to advance)....I would have gotten up early this morning to see the T-breds fight it out with the "best" of the teams left.

#45571 02/21/05 03:36 AM
D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Well, soccerdfner16 you'll get your chance! It's called the State Playoffs.

Anyone who claims South Aiken as the only team left that was undefeated is misrepresenting the facts. Mauldin, Eastside, James Island and RNE (tie not a loss) were all undefeated (just like South Aiken) after group play finished on Saturday evening (FoxFan got it wrong - JI had 3 wins, not 2, in group play). South Aiken read the tournament scoring rules just like everyone else - they knew what they were up against. The "rules" didn't keep SA out of the semis. The fact that they didn't score enough points did (soccerdfner16, SA/JI didn't play head to head). Wando beat Fort Mill, who beat Lexington, who beat Wando. Who gets to the semis? Easy, the scoring rules were sent to all of the coaches well before play began, and published in the tournament program for the fans to see. Nobody was surprised by the semifinalists! If you don't believe me ask all of the Fort Mill coaches, players and fans gathered around the Irmo/Spartanburg game hoping Irmo would score. The FM folks knew exactly what had to happen for them to get in to the Semis. They didn't even stick around to see who won that game!

I found it interesting that the only team in the semis with a loss (Fort Mill) - won it all! Also of note, they came from Group C, which many were proclaiming the "group of death", or whatever. By the way FoxFan, your analysis on another thread for placement determining toughness breaks down when you consider that points were accumulated, hence placement (except for those in the semis), by playing those in your group only. Having watched most of the games in Group C, I will tell you that with the exception of the Fort Mill/Lexington game, they were all very exciting contests. Brookland-Cayce takes the cake on exciting by playing in TWO overtime games and a 4-3 match that saw FOUR goals scored in the last ten minutes. Don't stop at a drugstore in West Columbia if you are looking for antacid. Also of note from Group C, while it was the only group with no team emerging undefeated, it was also the only group in which everyone got at least one win. Six solid soccer squads (say that three times fast).

What does all of this mean? I agree with FoxFan's comment on the aforementioned thread, "It means the regular season starts in a week and we can finally discuss real results from real games. Thanks for playing."

#45572 02/21/05 04:19 AM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Good analysis Deahler.

In last year's Viking Cup, Fort Mill and West Ashley were both 2-0 going into their final game against eachother. Game ended 0-0 and WA advanced by one point. FM knew what they needed to do going into that game but couldn't get it done.

I sympathize with South Aiken this year, shame they didn't get their shot head-to-head. I also feel Brookland-Cayce can make a case. They finished 2-1 in the Group of Death, tied with Fort Mill, but never got a shot at FM head-to-head. That's the way it goes.

BC, Eastside and Riverside were all tremendous 3A representatives.

#45573 02/21/05 04:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The whining about South Aiken not making it through is not coming from within the SA camp. We knew what we needed to do in each of our games to keep up with JI, and simply didn't get it done. You do have to acknowledge some level of disappointment that SA and JI didn't play head to head, and their scores were similar against common opponents. There was some 'luck of the draw' involved, but such is life. JI looked very tough, and certainly deserved to go through. The bottom line is that every team was thoroghly challenged, and it was a great warm-up for the regular season. Kudos to SV for a great tourney!

#45574 02/21/05 05:10 AM
D
corner kick
corner kick
D
a fan,

Don't worry, everyone knows where the whining is coming from; and everyone knows it's not the SA camp!!!

#45575 02/21/05 01:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What was the offical "All-Tournament" team at the end?

#45576 02/21/05 08:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where is the All-tournament team listed????

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard