Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
H66 --

It is rumored that Fort Mill was actually ceded to North Carolina in exchange for a more favorable line placement through Carowinds when the theme park was being laid out. Very few people know this. But then your soccer resembles Charlotte soccer a lot more than it should.

lpaf

world cup
world cup
I won't deny the Charlotte influence. Two of our players were well-seasoned at, what you folks down south like to call, the "other" CSC.

Our best player still calls "Big Blue" home, while the other has defected to our little local club.

I'll spout out the attributes of our best player as soon as I see the thread...."Who Is The Best Player in the state of South Carolina".

S
coach
coach
S
LPAF: You've mentioned favorite authors before. May I recommend "The Poor Mouth: A Bad Story About the Hard Life" to you? With your stepping into the shoes of the retired Lou Holtz these days, I thought you might appreciate it [and it's a worthy read, apart from the message implicit in its title that might be apropos to some of your postings these days.]

Oh...and the illustrations to the latest edition [the non-Gaelic one] are by Ralph Steadman [illustrator for and participant in some of the late Hunter S. Thompson's works], so there is at least some local topical relevance as well.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Chico --

On your suggestion and with the click of only a few buttons and a credit card debit of $8.21 "The Poor Mouth: A Bad Story About the Hard Life" is preparing to leave the Amazon.com cyberspace warehouse and come to me. I don't know if it's the illustrated version or not. You lost me on the Lou Holtz parallel but then I'm not having a very good day anyway.

lpaf

ps: Still supporting our friend TLH with your Marx moniker, I see.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Chic0 --

As for the less than glowing assessments of my favorite HS team, I'm still watching and waiting. The good thing is they are clearly avoiding the trap of peaking too early. Lots of talent and lots of games to provide trial by fire....

lpaf

S
coach
coach
S
LPAF: I actually rather admire the understated approach.

Lou Holtz had a tendency to "poor mouth" his teams, i.e., when asked about a USC team at midseason:

quote:
"I have the radio on to keep me from thinking about suicide when I'm driving in the car." [Lou Holtz]

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Chic0 --

I think I like this Lou Holtz guy's style...

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
I enjoyed this old quote by Holtz when asked about the physical strength of the football team during his first year at USC...

"I truly hope we don't win a big game this year and these guys put me on their shoulders. There's not a doubt in my mind they'd drop me."

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard