Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Continuing a 4 year old tradition of nailbiting overtime games the #5 ranked Wando Wariors defeated the #3 Wildcats in pk's after 90 minutes of scoreless regulation and overtime play. Both teams showed significant improvements over the somewhat ragged soccer I had seen them play earlier in the season. WA's passing was crisper than in previous games and Danielle Jordan had an outstanding game in sweeper, running down almost all longballs played to the Wando forwards who made a habit of occupying off sides or near offsides positions most of the game. The refereeing was of exceptional quality and very even handed. Alechia Brothers did an admirable job blocking several hard shots in the second half. Overall, play was even, but Wando was able to put more pressure on offensively in the last 3 minutes of regulation and during both 5 minute overtime periods. The Wando parents were well behaved.

My take on WA after watching this game is that coach McNeely has them progressing nicely toward becoming a much better team. Improvements were evident in almost every aspect of the Wildcats' game. His problem remains how to best position his impact players to allow them to score goals while maintaining a solid defense. The return of Shayna Lee (after ACL surgery) and the mature play of freshman Calie Purvis, coupled with better midfield play as the team moves through the season may present a variety of options toward this end.

Great game Wando. Great game Wildcats. See you at our place next.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I admit I only was able to see the first half of game but it looked very even from what I could see. Both teams seem to lack depth in experienced talent this yr. Lots of young prospects for the future.

As a member of the Wando community I deeply appreciate LPAF's approval of our fan behavior. I think it was a little too chilly for the Wando boys to run around with painted chests.

If Wando's forwards were called offsides a lot, I am waiting for a referee (or his assistants) to call Brothers for crossing the 18 on her punts. She pushes the limits every time.

World Cup
World Cup
What formations/style are the two teams playing? It seems (from descriptions) that WA is more of a long ball/out-athlete-them type of attack, meanwhile Wando uses every player methodically and aims for the cross. Little help?

world cup
world cup
Not bad. It only took a Wando victory to get swimmer back into the pool.

Congratulations!

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
s! --

Brothers drives me wild with that and has always done it. I've only seen her called once, at regionals a couple of years ago. I will say both linesmen watched her like a hawk throughout the game and they didn't see fit to call it. I agree that both teams still look very young, despite the presence of outstaning senior talent. Lots of room for improvement as we roll along. Nice to have your observations here.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last post before going on vacation -
Obviously, WA has 3 of the best players in state w/ Bolt,Jordan, and Brothers. We always hold our breath when they are in control of the ball.
Wando is still using its long standing practice of ball control and one touch passing. However, some of young talent is passing to where someone is supposed to be instead of looking up and making sure someone is there.
From all the press JI is getting down here they should roll undefeated through Region play to face FM in Columbia come May.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think the "wando boys" were missing due to the fact that a great majority of them were playing on their varsity team...temperature isnt a factor...did you see them at the homecoming football game? no shirts just paint and kilts....best display of school spirit ive ever seen in my LIFE...you couldnt pay me money to do that crap.....

Link Copied to Clipboard