Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Two of the best soccer teams in the state squared off in a battle of equals at West Ashley Stadium and played to a 1 - 1 tie after regulation play and two 5 minute overtime periods. WA continued to show improvement in team play and was able to stymie the potent JI offense by controlling the midfield throughout the first half with a 3 - 5 - 2 formation anchored around the play of Danielle Jordan (sweeper), Callie Purvis and Shayna Lee (mid) and Julie Bolt (center mid, frequently acting as a third forward). Most of the first half was spent on the JI half of the field with about an 8 - 1 shot on goal advantage to WA. Solid play by Rebecca Thomas, Anna Gillespie, and both Brothers (Lexis and Alecia) also figured strongly in the outcome. The first goal was scored at about 22 minutes into a much more even second half when an errant JI pass near midfield was intercepted and fed to Bolt who blew past the midfielders, split two of the defensive backs and and outran the right marking back for an angled right footed shot across the face of goal into the left corner.

James Island responded with an offense effort much more reflective of what had brought them to the #2 state 4A position -- Gosnell, Frawley and Clark moving the ball inside the WA 18 and looking for shots and crosses. The last 15 minutes of the second period belonged, for the most part, to JI and their eventual goal on a Lisa Frawley pk (after WA keeper Alechia Brothers was called for a foul in the box while attempting to field a high bouncing ball and coming into contact with a JI forward) was a direct result of this offensive determination.

The teams played evenly in the two ot periods. Brothers blocked the first JI pk and no one missed after that.

Excellent play on both sides. JI was not playing quite at its pre springbreak form, but this may have been due to WA's defensive effort.

In Region 7 play over the last 4 years it's very unusual for any team to run the table in the regular season (Wando did in 2002). What is important is that confident athletic play builds throughout the season. The last victory among Wando - WA - JI is always much more important than the first.

lpaf

world cup
world cup
Congratulations to West Ashley. Pretty good match between two fine teams.

That goal by Ms. Bolt sounds like it was a great one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A repeat of last yr just this time shoe seems to be on other foot - this year Wando beats WA, JI beats Wando, then WA beats JI.
Wando went to a tournament in Ga this week end.
Hope they found competition to help them improve to compete for the 7 4A title.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

Last season was rock, scissors, paper until the playoffs for Region 7's best. I bet round two for Wando - JI - WA will hold more surprises and great lowcountry soccer. But it's really only round 3 that counts...

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lpaf-

Congrats to WA for a hard fought game! It is so hard to cheer too hard for either team given the fact that both teams are past teammates:) Tell Jules great job for a beautiful goal. She always makes it look so easy!

I totally agree, we only want to be number one after the game at Stone Stadium....much more permanent! Take care!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf.

Great recap on game - I would like to add four points - 1. JI did not show up first half, whether they were not focused, out coached, or whatever, they were MIA for sure. Hopefully this is just a little bump in the road for them and a lesson to be learned as they are a deserving, talented group and need to show up the entire game. 2. Kudos to Coach McNeely. A well thought out, coached game and very prepared for JI. 3. Although the Brothers are two of my favorite players on and off the field, I and many other fans were very disappointed with their sportsmanship. I can only hope Drew spoke to them after the game. 4. The refereeing was some of the worst I have seen in a long time. In saying that, both teams (and Wando) are in the running and it is anyone's lowerstate championship. Good Luck to all! -

World Cup
World Cup
To pick on some of my buddies, that post read like a Lexington reply. By the way, I'm still picking them for region and see the Upstate Title Game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know, can you tell i hate losing on pk's and don't think it is fun, but WA deserved the win. They played the better game Friday night. The fun part is we get to do it all over again next week :-)

World Cup
World Cup
James Island is due. Those other two schools have had their time in the light. It's time for a new Charleston school to rise up!

World Cup
World Cup
Since I have your attention, can you tell me the origin of James Island/West Ashley? What ever happened to Middleton and did Folley ever have a high school?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard