Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for your confidence. I could not agree more. As far as Middleton goes - West Ashley used to (until 3-1/2 years ago) have two high schools; Middleton and St. Andrews. They built a new school, merged the two, and now have one beautiful campus, West Ashley High School. Folly never had a school - their high school residents go to James Island or private schools. I have not lived here as long as lapf, so not sure if a Folly High School ever existed, but he thinks one does. :-)

World Cup
World Cup
James Island is not a new establishment, is it?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, forgot that part of the question. No, it has been there a long time - just recently changed over to a charter school, but not "new".

O
OPG Offline
throw in
throw in
O
James Island had two high schools about twenty - twenty five years ago; Ft Johnson HS and the "old" James Island High School. The two schools merged, taking up residence at the Ft. Johnson HS location, and became the "new" James Island HS (which is now the "newer" JI Charter HS)

World Cup
World Cup
What are the benefits of being a "Charter" school?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Depending on your side, the benefits should include, among other things, increased opportunities for learning, creates more choices for parents and students, leverage for improved, innovative teaching practices....all this also means a charter school is accountable for both academic and fiscal (budget) practices and acts as it's own seperate entity from the charleston county school board.. on most issues. So far, last two years or so, JICHS has ended up doing well and passing all the "charter" tests. Some folks don't like it as it could end up being a disaster if it fails. But so far so good.

O
OPG Offline
throw in
throw in
O
Now, I'm not an expert on "charter" issues, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so here goes. A charter HS still receives funding from the local school district, as well as any state or federal monies it is due as a typical public school. The main difference is that the school administration, parents, and community run the school with minimal "help" from the local school board. For whatever reason, the Charleston County School Board seems to act like a dysfunctional family. By accounts of all that are associated with JIHS, becoming a charter school has been nothing but a positive experience.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very well said. I believe JICHS is better off. My children have attended both magnet and regular public schools and now a charter school and I see it as a "good thing". As far as I can tell, it has had no positive or negative effect on athletics thus far, or at least the soccer program that I am aware of.

world cup
world cup
Any intentions on the part of WA and Wando to force JI to SCISA?

;>)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they dont answer to the charleston county school district...at least that was my main understanding...side note...congratulations to WA...JI is no easy opponent. looks like were in for another 3 way slugfest in region 7...very interested to see who comes out on top come may...

------------------------------------------------
Chicks dig soccer players

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard