Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Just wondering if there are any prevailing thoughts about the racial make up of girls' teams across the state. On the boys side of the equation I frequently see hispanic players, but this carries over to a much less frequent degree for the girls, at least in what I recognize. Overall, what is the degree of participation of non white ethnicities in your team or teams familiar to you? African-American, hispanic, asian, other -- you can define what non white means for your team.

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
15/17 would be classified as white...although we do have a red head who looks irish as well as a tall blonde who could pass for scandanavian. Our second leading scorer as well as her team assist leading sister are black. No hispanics or other "minority" are represented on the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have one hispanic student and one african-american student. These two players are the only non-white students that tried out.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
James Island has one player of hispanic origin on the girls team this year.

lpaf

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Why is this an issue?? Does it matter??

World Cup
World Cup
To the government it does...

World Cup
World Cup
...but lapf's point is to see if the hispanic make up of boy's team translates over to the girls side. So far, it does not. Southside, an internation magnet school, does have a vast minority make up.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Bazza --

I'm simply curious, and it's not a terribly important issue, but girls' soccer in SC seems to be overwhelmingly white. A couple of years ago I received some criticism for saying a local team was the whitest group of girls I'd ever seen. They were. And you'd think there would be some increase in hispanic participation with the demographic influx of mexicans, but I don't see it. Don't misunderstand or think I'm going to make charges of racism at all white teams, you choses among the playes who present themselves for tryouts. Change in the racial makeup of teams may be very slow in reflecting current demographic changes.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In typical mexican culture it is not customary for girls to participate in sports. Unfortunately economic status for the family often overides a desire for the women to participate in school sports. This thinking tends to change in second generation mexican families who see the benefits of the involvement in school athletics and activities.

World Cup
World Cup
Finally, an enlightened point of view.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard