Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
The West Ashley Lady Wildcats, Region 7's #3 seed, would like to announce their "Doin' it the Hard Way '05 Tour". This series of games will begin in the inhospitable confines of Richland Northeast's home field at 6pm on Monday, 5/2/05. Future venues to be established later as per Lady Luck or personal determination.

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
If any team can do it...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Play at RNE is not inhospitable, but almost unplayable. One of these years it might be nice for RNE to have a more than not adequate playing field.

so WA start your excuse making here.

J
world cup
world cup
J
..since when does RNE have a bad field?

D
DDF Offline
kick off
kick off
D
The suface itself is not too bad, but it is poorly lit and although they have added the new bleacher (1) they could use one or two more.

Just an observation

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RNE field...doesn't it have depressed "bare spots" ..(kinda looks like football practice field where the turf doesn't have a chance)?

Seen worse tho...and the grass there in general was impressive! Nice surroundings, and the recent night FM played there it was great to see activities going on all around the soccer field.

world cup
world cup
West Ashley will certainly earn their trip to Columbia. A team this good should not have it so rough. You'll be battle-tested, but hopefully not weary.

world cup
world cup
lpaf,

Do you have a full tank of gas and are you ready for that trip to RNE?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
h66 --

The pickup is fully gassed. Directions are in hand and banners are being produced at this moment. Let the games begin.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hopefully they (RNE) won't turn on the sprinklers just before game time and fill the low bare spots with water. That was our experience there earlier this season.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WA 2 @ Mouton 1

On a field showing even more bald spots than a 51 yo soccerdad's crown, West Ashley defeated home team Richland Northeast in a come from behind thriller that held everyone breathless to the end wondering if Alex Mouton could turn yet another ninja soccer move into a goal for the home team to send the game to overtime. WA brought out it's 2-5-3 defensive lineup only to see USC bound Alex Mouton score 4 minutes into the match, slipping past the WA defense and driving the ball past the WA keep with the skill of a black belted oriental hitman. WA responded at the 13th minute when Julie Bolt took a long pass and headed it between two defenders to herself, advancing the ball and moving beyond a final defender and RNE keep to score. 1-1 at the half.

The second half saw much more of the same with Mouton looking to receive a long ball or cross. #12 from RNE did her best to accomodate, but overall WA defender Danielle Jordan with better height and equal or better speed was able to offset the ninja threat from Mouton. In an inverted repeat of the first half, Bolt moved WA into the lead 4 minutes into the second half off a nice high assist from Alexis Brothers. The WA keep, Alechia Brothers, performed flawlessly in the second half blocking and controlling at least 2 dangerous shots from Mouton.

West Ashley, on the road, seeded third in their region, lives to face another opponent in their "Doin' it the Hard Way Tour '05". Hats off to Coach McNeely and the WA squad for solving the Mouton riddle. She is a great natural striker and should be a potent force in the SEC for USC next year.

lpaf

J
world cup
world cup
J
It really isn't that hard to be a ninja...

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
The second stop on West Ashley's "Doin' it the Hard Way Tour '05" has been announced. The # 3 Region 7 seed will continue its on the road journey Wednesday at 6:30pm in the beautiful confines of McKissick Field in Summerville. While the Wildcats struggled Monday night to control RNE's All Star forward, Alex Mouton, in route to a 2-1 victory, the Summerville Lady Greenwaves, undisputed Region 8 champs, rolled over Sumter 10 - 0. In an early season non-region game these two teams met in Summerville and played to pk's, with a WA victory resulting. Both their coaching staff and team have been looking forward to this lowcountry rematch and should be well prepared for the next stop on the "Doin' it the Hard Way Tour '05".

world cup
world cup
Great night for Julie Bolt and Alex Mouton. Nice to see that kind of talent entertaining the faithful in the same game.

Sounds like it was a thriller.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WA 1 @ Summerville 0 (OT)

West Ashley (Region 7, third place seed) continued its "Doing it the Hard Way Tour '05" tonight against the Green Wave of Summerville (Region 8 undisputed #1 seed) on McKissick Field and, once again, showed that they could and would do it the hard way. Summerville brought a credible, technically adept team to their home field and delighted the somewhat whiney home crowd ("She's out of the box again!!!") by pushing the visiting Wildcats to OT. WA presented its conservative defensive lineup at the start of the game and seemed to hold a slight edge throughout the scoreless first half, with an edge in quality shots on goal.

The Greenwave (what exactly is a Greenwave?) came out forcefully in the second half and played WA even for the first 20 minutes. Player of the game award clearly would be awarded to WA defender Danielle Jordan, for her control of the WA backfield, with kudos to Thomas, Purvis, Lee, Abbate and Gillespie for thier contributions. Regulation play ended 0-0, as it had in the first meeting of these two teams on a cold March night.

WA moved into overdrive in the OT periods, moving Jordan, Bolt and Lexis Brothers up top. 95% of the first 10 minute OT was played at a furious pace in or just in front of the Summerville box. 2 minutes into the second OT period Jenny Ann Jackson lofted a deep throw in toward the goal and Bolt headed it to the waiting feet of Jordan who placed a soft right footed (?) shot beyond the outstretched S'ville goalie's arms to the left corner of the net. WA then assumed a more defensive posture and ran the clock out for the victory, though Candace Jordan, Anna Gillespie, Jenny-Ann Jackson and Thompson were able to threaten the S'ville goal a time or two. West Ashley's keeper, the indomitable Alechia Brothers had a great game. Refereeing was even handed and very accurate, though they allowed more contact than I feel is warranted.

Congratulations to the West Ashley girls for keeping the dream alive on the "Doin' It the Hard Way Tour '05". Next stop rumored to be Wando...

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
ps of sorts:

I've lived lowcountry HS soccer for the last 4 years. If I were given any choice of playoff possibilities for WA this year it would be what they are most likely now to face: Wando on Friday, and (God willing and the creeks don't rise) James Island next Tuesday. Let the "Doin' It the Hard Way Tour '05" bus roll on -- we kinda like the road games...

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YOu are defintely doing it the hard way. Congrats on the win.

Looking forward to a great game on Friday.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thinking a little ahead of yourself are ya. Guess thats a good thing. But with the Summerville game, you make it seam as if the goal was scored beautifuly and tacticaly, oh no maddam. It was a "ugly" goal, but a goal none the less. And the whole doing in the hard way tour '05. thats the way its suppose to be, you dont want to win a championship unless you have earned it through every competive team. Kudos to summerville, Good luck west ashley, but got to go for the home team. Lets win Wando.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
quote:
Originally posted by Torro:
you make it seam as if the goal was scored beautifuly and tacticaly, oh no maddam. It was a "ugly" goal, but a goal none the less.

Jenny Ann Jackson took the throw in and sent it about 20 yards over the Summerville defenders into the box. Bolt jumped over two defenders and flicked it with her head directly in to Jordan, who settled it and shot through a crowd past the outstretched goalie. Check the highlight tape from Fox 24. Both beautiful and tactically efficient I'd say. Would have been nice to win the game on one of the missed goals in the first half, but WA will take it.

lpaf

ps: Summerville played a very good game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
flick of luck, it happens. Go Wando.

world cup
world cup
lpaf,

I thought the swimmer was your only nemesis. Seems this great Region 7 rivalry brings about a lot of interest. Wish I could be there for Wa-WA III but fortunately, I have my own business to attend to.

Best of luck. Don't both of you wear eachother out. Somebody has to have something left for JI-Irmo.

World Cup
World Cup
Torro, I've read your first post and I'm afraid I'm going to need some help. See, we have this understood policy we try to abide by at all times. When we type, we make sense. I know that may be a strange concept, but you'll get used to it. Although your random pressing of keys is difficult to comprehend, I believe what you are saying is that the sequence of events that led to Jordan's goal are difficult to accept.

What is so difficult to understand? Throw in to head, knocked to another play, trap, shot, score. Perhaps you are emotionally attached to the losing squad and must refer to adolescent methods of bad mouthing to cope with the hurt. Come now, we are bigger than this.

Now, being that we are a kind breed here on the girl's board, allow me to edit your post properly.

"Thinking a little ahead of yourself are ya."

How about "Are you thinking too far ahead of yourself?"

"Guess thats a good thing."

Use the verbs, dear boy. "I guess that is a good thing."

"But with the Summerville game, you make it seam as if the goal was scored beautifuly and tacticaly, oh no maddam."

You know, I don't know where to start on this one. The spelling, the run-on, incomplete clauses, and the punctuation all make me light-headed. I tell you what, why don't you try typing your post on Microsoft word first and then use grammar/spell check? You would be amazed at the complete sentences you can form. Even more rewarding will be the binary conversing you will experience when others can grasp your extraordinary thoughts.

Best of luck with this. I am afraid I need to nap, now. Your pubescent literature has worn me thin.

S
coach
coach
S
>> [Torro] flick of luck, it happens.<<

You know, I agree with Torro. Bolt is ***always*** getting lucky like this. Not only in high school, but in RIIIPL, and in ODP. It doesn't seem fair; because of how repeatedly lucky she is.

Is there a term for repeated luck, year after year, in multiple competitive formats? Oh yeah..."skill."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nicely said Chico

O
OPG Offline
throw in
throw in
O
See you Friday lpaf!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry, for making all of you get on the defensive.That was not my intention. I was just calling it as I see it. No disrespect to Bolt, she is a heck of a player. To R1C, I was never any good at english grammar. Hope I did a little better this time. Good job West Ashley, Hope Wando wins. Thats all.

World Cup
World Cup
Back in your hole, rat...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you just call me a rat.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
The arrival time for stop three on the "Doin' It the Hard Way Tour '05" has been announced and is 7pm Friday, 5/6/05 at Wando Stadium. The Lady Wildcats (3rd seed Region 7) will ride their two on the road 1 goal play off victories into combat against a potent Wando Lady Warrior (2nd seed Region 7) squad who has managed double digit goal margins and hat tricks galore in their at home playoff wins. Future venues to be announced tomorrow night pending action on James Island. GO WILDCATS!!!! ONE LAST SHOT AT WANDO, MAKE IT COUNT!!!!

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
(Torro, didn't we have a talk about proper punctuation? Use the question mark!)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Article in today's Post and Courier on Wando's Scott Ferguson announcing his retirement after this season. Hope he goes out w/ 1 more state title, but I do not expect either West Ashley or James Island to be overly generous and just hand him a going away present.

To all the consiracy buffs out there - No this is not a pre-game trick to try and motivate the players. He announced to the team a couple of weeks ago.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
R1C,

Do you teach english? We'll I have a term paper coming up, and if I could get someone like an english teacher to revise it, that would be excellent.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
LPAF..You have tweaked my interest!! Can't wait to hear the results...

World Cup
World Cup
Yes I do. PM me your paper and I will do my best...

J
world cup
world cup
J
ewww... English teachers are be the bane of me existence

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear R1C,

Thank you for being able to look at my paper, I should be able to send it to you on Sunday or Monday. Here is my assignment for your greater understanding of what I’m supposed to do.

Your final reading and research task concerns one of the dozens of ALLUSIONS Kurt Vonnegut works into Bluebeard. You will be assigned one allusion from a list, which is by no means comprehensive but gives you an idea of how extensively this device figures in the novel. For one of the allusions from the list, 1) define or describe in detail what the allusion means – what is referred to and its range of meaning(s); and 2) explain where and how Vonnegut uses the allusion, especially how it adds depth or meaning to Rabo’s story. 3) Provide complete bibliographical data for at least three sources consulted in you search. [2-4 pages]

Thank You

I will send it either Sunday or Monday.

World Cup
World Cup
Anything to help the leaders of tomorrow.

C
goal
goal
C
It would explain so much!

P
throw in
throw in
P
Dont let him make you write it www.r1c.com. He will try to get you to do the work. Soembody who doesnt know a qualtiy goal when he sees it probably cant read that good either. Kurt Vonnegut is oen of my favorite authors but dsylexia makes it hard for me to write about him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Me too!!!! One time I had this really hot date w/ Amanda Beckett....BUT I went to a workshop w/ Kurt V instead...... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

J
world cup
world cup
J
Vonnegut Love Fest 2005

..coming to a soccer message board near you..

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WA (R7 #3 seed) 1 @ Wando (R7 #2 seed) 0, PK's 3-1

More will be posted later, but for tonight I would like to thank the West Ashley girls and coaching staff for not letting the "Doin' it the Hard WAy Tour '05" down with an early clear cut victory, but rather by making sure the game went first to OT, the Golden Goal, the PK's for the eventual win. To have won it in any other fashion over Wando would have been a travesty. Coach Ferguson and his players are to be congratulated for the quality of their opposition on their home turf. West Ashley, after a bruising road schedule, looks forward to a 4 day rest and preparation for James Island next Tuesday. Again, given any possible combinations of games, this is the one I most would have hoped for. The best lowcountry team will face Mauldin or Fort Mill (you guys can sort that out) next Friday and I will be there.

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
West Ashley would like to announce their presence in the finals match of the 2005 Lower State competion. This match will be held at James Island's home field, The Back Yard, (4th road trip for WA in 8 days) on Tuesday, May 10th. Time to be announced. Probably 7:30.

lpaf

ps: Relax a bit girls, you've deserved it...

S
bench
bench
S
"ps: Relax a bit girls, you've deserved it..."

very true...this was a well deserved game that could not have turned out any other way. may the best team win on tuesday.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Wando, James Island and West Ashley:

That Wando and WA would play to a third PK situatation this season is indicative of the overall equality of their play over the last four years. Great rivalries in Region 7 have helped each of the three R7 leaders (JI, Wando, WA) to improve the quality of their teams. We will see more of this in Tuesday night's Lower State Championship game between JI (#2 Seed R7) and visiting team West Ashley (#3 Seed R7).

West Ashley come into this 4th stop on their "Doin' It the Hard WAy Tour '05" after a series of three bruising 1 goal games that have included one regulation match, one OT victory, and one victory in pk's. 290 minutes of soccer play + pk's, squeaking by via a single goal on each occasion. They will enter the James Island stadium as underdogs (#4 vs #3 state wide, and Region 7 #3 seed vs #1 seed) on Tuesday night. This is OK, God meant it this way or it wouldn't be this way.

They will also enter into play as two teams comprised of sisters of sorts. For those not familiar with Charleston Club soccer, the dominant girls team over the last 5 years was CUSC (formerly CGSA) Fusion. Three state championships and solid regional appearances over the last 5 years. Much of the development of this talent can be credited to Andy Grist, their head coach during that period and the extraordinary assemblage of talent that occured when a core of JI girls defected to CGSA many years ago to seek the best coaching and club structure available. A roughly equal amount of this talent flowed from Fusion (the balance was in favor of JI 'til Erica Carson had to stop playing) to both WA and JI and few opposing teams know each other better.

When this group of exceptional talent hit the 9th grade level in 2002, the balance of 4A HS girls soccer shifted suddenly in the state, with 3 consecutive R7 state victories (WA 2, Wando 1). Tuesday's Lower State Final will match WA and JI, in their first such meeting for the Lower State crown, with each team featuring at its core the best of Grist's CGSA Fusion team. On balance, after having watched these teams play all season long, I feel the team play of JI plus its true impact players (Frawley, Gosnell, Lassiter, Terry) bring a slight advantage to that team. West Ashley, however has shown continuous improvement over the course of the season and avoided last year's pitfall of peaking too early. WA has three, and sometimes four, of the absolute best players in the state. The real question is the following: Will the impact forwards and defenders of JI, coupled with their excellent fundamentals prevail, on their home turf, over the Wildcats of WA. Or, will WA's players rise above themselves and find a higher level of play? Time will tell, and the team that wants it the most will go to Columbia next Friday.

lpaf

ps: Has Mauldin already conceded to Fort Mill or are they actually going to play the Up State Finals match on Tuesday?

world cup
world cup
We up here in the north shudder at the fact that if we are fortunate enough to get by Mauldin (who beat FM last year in this very same stage), one of these beasts of the Charleston-area awaits.

Maybe the Lady Jackets - Lady Mavs survivor need not show up in Columbia next Friday night. Region 7 "owns" the state championship.

R
throw in
throw in
R
I personally can't wait to see Tuesday's Lower State match-up between Region 7's prevailing powerhouses, JI and WA. After losing to WA twice already this year in regular season, JI (I'm sure) will be hungry to play the rival lady Wildcats. WA, on the other hand, rolling in strong from a thrilling playoff victory over regular season curse, Wando this past Friday might just be able to come into Tuesday's match with enough fire and grit to take out the Trojans again. If the girls at WA can reach down and find it within themselves to put together every piece of talent they have, from the bench to the starting line-up, then I'm sure the state title they deserve will be well within reach.

quote:
Region 7 "owns" the state championship.

I like the sound of that...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAF, Thanks for the kudos for the JI impact players. But, it's West Ashley's "impact players" Bolt, Jordan, and the brothers twins, that have stepped their game up a notch more than the 4 impact players of JI. Terry performs solidly on defense consistently, Battye, (an unsung hero)controls the midfield play to release 2 of the most dangerous strikers in the State. However, JI needs to step up their game a notch more than WA on Tuesay, if they are to play in Columbia.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think I am going to have to break out my navigational equipment and find my way across the harbor to watch this one. Nothing else to do on Tues night since NYPD Blue went off the air.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAF, Do you know the start time for the WA/JI game on Tuesday? It will be a great game - watching all the Fusion players on the field again - even if they are on opposite sides. Go Wildcats!!!

R
throw in
throw in
R
game time 7:30 @ JI. can't wait. the anticipation is KILLING me! (think about how the girls feel... [Smile] )

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hurst...speak for yourself on this one. Noone I've heard is shuddering at the thought of any possible foe, nor looking past Mauldin. The last I knew FM was rated # 1, Mauldin #2. Someone understands where the best soccer in the state is being played!

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
FMdad --

Again, we in the low country consider ourselves lucky just to be able to play in the same division as you. Whomever wins from tomorrow's JI - WA game will willingly go, like sheep to slaughter to meet the upstate victor on Friday...

lpaf

(ps: Thank you, God, thank you.)

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Hey Torro --

Strangely silent since last week. No comments on how WA lucked out against Wando? Common... Give us that bull in a china shop analysis.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am going w/ the Wildcats with this one.......maybe they should come out to the song "Football" as sung by Goldie Hawn in the GREAT 80's movie......"wildcats" Football.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf.....Noooooo. No slaughter. By anyone. Now the games are down to the fun part. No argument, the teams that are left deserve to be. And, I'm not booking the flight to Columbia yet; there is this event this evening.....

J
world cup
world cup
J
I'm considering coming home a day early..JUST so I can see Girl's State.. IF I do.. I BETTER NOT be disappointed! [Razz]

p.s. I'd wish a certain team luck..but..sadly I am unlucky these days..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LPAF,
Don't be too hard on Torro. I didn't get much response on the gramatically challenged WA students,either. I also seem to remember a certain scribe referring to games that go to a PK as a tie.
I will probably show up tonight just to see the kissin' cousins duke it out.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

I don't think the words were misspelled so much as the first letter of each word may have been interchanged. And the guy in the pink hat should have beed described as a ruggedly handsome middle aged man in a pink hat hanging up signs, I think. At least that's how I saw it. Hope we have a good tight game tonight on JI. See you there.

lpaf

World Cup
World Cup
Pink hats have been declared illegal in Anderson by ordinance #3481

Maybe that's why we don't play for any championships...

p.s. Torro, you're all talk and no paper sending

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
West Ashley's "Doin' It the Hard Way Tour '05" is on time for its 4th stop in about 2 hours at James Island. GO WILDCATS -- DO IT THE HARD WAY ONE MORE TIME !!!!!

lpaf

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
WA 2 @ JI 1

A more in depth analysis of the game will follow, probably from a number of people. First, this was not pretty soccer, and during most of the first half James Island was absolutely dominant driving the ball and crossing. Gosnell's pretty shot on the assist from Lisa Frawley was, however, the only tangible return on 30 minutes of domination. WA, after this, played more aggressively, and their goal with seconds left was the result of a handball in the box with Bolt pushing the pk past the JI keep into the right corner. WA adjusted personelle and their formation for the start of the second half and played a very even 40 minutes, though JI kept the ball in and around the WA box for about 8 hair raising minutes in the middle of the half. The winning goal was scored at 30 minutes into the second half on a highly lofted clearing pass by WA sweeper Danielle Jordan over the JI defense to Alexis Brothers who caught up with the ball and found the JI keep just out of position to either play the ball or get back in goal. A hard one touch pushed the ball past her to the left corner of the net. The game was more physical than to my liking with most of the contact favoring JI and most of it uncalled. James Island's team play was crisper, but in the end the individual play of WA, based on a swarming team defense (Gillespie, Abbatte, Lee, Thomas, Purvis... I'd have to name almost every player) held a very potent JI squad to a single goal.

Again, West Ashley has given us a great "Doin It the Hard Way" 1 goal victory. James Island finishes a great season and played for much of tonight's games as the better team on the field. WA, however put it in the net more and that is what matters. On to Columbia!!! The Doin' It the Hard WAy tour rolls on!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lpaf has done a good job once again with his take on the game, almost :-). The play was physical but no more than usual, in my opinion. WA had their fair share of uncalled fouls along with a handball in box = goal, yellow card and ball given in same play??? JI out shot WA 11-3 in the first half and 11-4 in the second and could not put it in the net. I would give kudos to Alechia Brothers rather than to their entire defense. She had an awesome game. Danielle Jordan played well also. The only problem I have is with the sportsmanship once again. The "stalling" technique that lpaf was so upset and vocal about a few years ago during a club state championship was shown by his very own Wildcats last night. Also seen was a not so nice "hand signal" aimed at the JI crowd, by one of the Brothers. I guess she showed us! Losing is never fun, but losing to a team that you dominated and clearly played better than is especially hard.

JI is a tight soccer community and has a great progam with a lot of class. The team as a whole and individuals have had a lot of bumps in the road over the last 4 years, and if ever there was such a group of deserving girls, they are them. But with all those "hidden horseshoes" WA carries, it just wasn't meant to be. I speak for most of JI when I say Good Luck FM, but I really think WA will be state champions once again. There just seems to be no stopping them.

S
Goal
Goal
S
From today's Chucktown paper:

quote:
 -

West Ashley's Callie Purvis (left) battles James Island's Kelly Gosnell for control of a loose ball Tuesday during the Wildcats' victory over the Trojans.

Brothers sisters lift Wildcats

BY PHILIP M. BOWMAN
Of The Post and Courier Staff

Oh, Brothers: The West Ashley High School girls' soccer team is heading back to the Class AAAA state championship match after a one-year absence. And the Wildcats are in the running for their third state title in four years thanks to sisters Alexis and Alechia Brothers.

The twins led the Wildcats to a 2-1 victory over James Island Tuesday night in the Lower State championship match, played in front of approximately 600 fans at Memorial Stadium on James Island.

Alexis Brothers scored the winning goal in the 71st minute, nine minutes after missing a wide-open chip shot. Alechia Brothers was superb the entire night from her keeper position, as she recorded seven saves, including three in stoppage time at the end of regulation.

"What can I say? We have one in the front and one in the back and they look out for each other," West Ashley coach Drew McNeely said.

"Alechia really stepped up her game, and that was huge. Alexis played great and played hard. When she steps up her game, that's the difference in our team."

James Island dominated early and often, but could manage only one goal. James Island outshot West Ashley 11-3 in the first half and 11-4 in the second half. But the Trojans managed only one score. That came in the 31st minute when Lisa Frawley assisted Kelly Gosnell.

The Wildcats got a major break when the Trojans were called for a handball in the box in stoppage time near the end of the first half. Julie Bolt scored and the Wildcats had new life and a 1-1 tie.

"There was no presence in the first half," we were nowhere to be found," said McNeely, whose team faces Fort Mill, a 1-0 winner over Mauldin, at 7 p.m. Friday in Columbia.

"The fact that we got out of there at 1-1 (at the end of the first half) was a gift. James Island came to play and I think they certainly outplayed us. I think either team would be an excellent representative from the Lower State. I guess that's why there's two halves. Tonight was a night for us to make some adjustments and challenge their will to win. And that's what happened."

It was the Wildcats' third victory over James Island this spring. West Ashley upped its record to 21-4, while the Trojans, the No. 1 seed in the Lower State, finished with the same record.

Alexis Brothers also scored in the second match against James Island. She had a golden opportunity Tuesday, but her chip shot from 20 yards sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

"I missed that first one, and had to get it back," she said. "Danielle (Jordan) kicked it, I ran and got it and kicked it left-footed. I watched to see if it was going in. I though it was going to hit the post, but it didn't. Yes."

Alechia Brothers saw the game-winner from the opposite end of the field. She had been waiting for her sister to come through in the clutch.

"It was awesome," she said. "I was screaming her name all night to get a goal. I told her 'C'mon' and she finally put one in."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a non partisan observer, I have to concur with BOTH LPAF and twobiz4u. It was not pretty soccer in that the teams were evenly matched and the defenses would not allow either team to have an organized attack - resorting in a lot of long ball in an effort to allow for some scoring opportunities.
The lone JI goal in first half was a thing of beauty between Frawley and Gosnell.
I did not think the foul by JI warranted the PK that WA's Bolt converted to tie the game.
The second half was very even with WA making the better adjustments defensively - or maybe JI had just expended so much effort in 1st half they didn't have as much left. WA's second goal was created by an unbelievable clearing pass by Jordan. She 1-touch volleyed (on the run) the ball about 50 yards over the JI defense which had been pushing up to midfield. Alexis Brothers was able to outrun the defense and get around the goalie who was forced to come out to meet her at about the 18. Jordan then made a key defensive stop when Frawley got open at about the 10. Glad to know she will be helping the College of Charleston defense next year.
I saw the 'sportmanship' issues that 2b4u referred to and found them regrettable. I had never been impressed with the dancing with the ball ritual I have seen in some of the PK situations between WA and Wando this year.

Well, WA emerged from the toughest Region in the State to again play for the championship. Good luck.
I had hoped JI would have had the opportunity to go to state with the all the seniors that they had this year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alechia Brothers was the difference last night, she keeps her team in every game. Without her in the goal James Island would of won last night's game hands down. If she isn't West Ashley's MVP this season, she should be. Bolt and Jordan are good players, but brothers keeps them alive.

The first half was ALL JI, except for a ball to hand call near the outside of the box that gave West Ashley a chance to tie the game in added time. Second half probably 60/40 JI....overall JI controlled 70 to 80% of the game.

A game of chances and inches, JI had the chances and missed a couple by inches. Lady Trojans be proud, sometimes the better team doesn't win, but that's soccer, and the beauty of the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great season Lady Trojans!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Pink hats have been declared illegal in Anderson by ordinance #3481"

Are pink hats allowed in Richland County? Sure hope so. Can't break the "Tour" traditions, you know. Great game by both JI and WA last night.

F
kick off
kick off
F
swimmer1,

It wasn't a foul in the box that generated the PK, but rather a handball. No foul took place or was called. Great performances by both teams, a shame only one can go on. What did you think about the JI AD sending the police officer out to order Coach McNeely to round up his mingling players and exit through the back entrance to the stadium? Never saw this before.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
firefly...

...didn't see that happen after the game. But, then again, I was closing down the box. That's not very cool.
I DO wish the JI ladies had not scattered themselves all over the field, and, instead, shaken the WA hands. But, I understand that it was a tough (and final) loss.
Again, great season!

World Cup
World Cup
There was no hand shaking?

2bize, you mentioned a "hand signal" but not this. What gives?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, there was hand shaking. Most, if not all of the seniors, were very upset, and just sat wherever they were at the end of the game with their heads in their hands. They eventually made their way over and shook hands but it was not in the normal manner (all at once, right after the game) as it took a few minutes for them to make their way, and perhaps not all even made it. I am not sure. I really don't think, nor expect, folks not familiar with the JI program to understand the severity of this loss and what these girls have been through. It was there game to win and was a real heartbreaker. Would rate in my top 2 as a parent of a player. The other being at a regional semi-final in Memphis. I did not witness the rushing out of the lingering players but did see a fight almost break out between a WA fan and a JI fan right after the game so perhaps thats why the JI AD made that choice. As far as the Brother hand signal, no excuse. Bad sportmanship is still bad sportsmanship. Two different situations totally. Go FM!

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
firefly --

I was on the field retrieving a sign when the officer spoke to Coach McNeely. The officer was adamant and a bit agitated. The only thing I could think of was the AD felt there was some kind of security risk. It was at least 15 minutes after the end of the game and parents and friends were greeting their players like they have every game I've ever been to at The Back Yard, in front of the main entrance. Nothing rowdy was going on to my eye.

JIAnnouncer --

Nice job from the box last night. Good enthusiasm.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: the PK - even if it was a hand ball it was right on the 18 (WA was throwing in from sideline
and girls from both sides went up for ball). WA player went down and whistle blew immediately. Handball was probably inadvertant. Many a time when it is that close to the 18, a referee has been known to push it outside of the 18 to make it a direct kick instead of a PK.
I am not disputing the outcome of game ( Wando lost week before!), just curious about the referee's decision. By the way - the refereeing was very good in all the games I witnessed in the playoffs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will someone please bring those "good" referees to Columbia Friday? Thank you. [Smile]

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

I know from where I was sitting (about twenty yards closer to the play than the JI seats, if you were sitting with the home team), you couldn't see the hand ball at all. I initially thought Bolt had been fouled too , as she went to ground following the jump. Just out of curiosity, if you couldn't see the play well enough to see it wasn't a foul, why should you presume it was an inadvertant hand ball? The ref called it immediately and was about 10 yards from the players. I figure he got the best view. I've always thought the reluctance of refs to call fouls in the box in big games puts forwards at a disadvantage and leads to rougher play than would be tolerated elsewhere on the field. I, like you, thought the refereeing was consistant and not biased. Nice summary of the game. Were the WA parents well behaved?

lpaf

world cup
world cup
mccoy,

Those "good refs" are Charleston-based. I would prefer a neutral, competent trio from the Columbia area.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Neutral AND competent from Columbia?
Would you like fries with that too?
Perhaps a moment of prayer would be in order...

Goal
Goal
"Competent" and "Columbia" officials in the same sentence? That's an oxymoron isn't it?

Goal
Goal
I look forward to the 4A Girls Championship this weekend. Good luck to both teams!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
See Hurst?
77's from Columbia and he knows better...
[Smile]

R
throw in
throw in
R
In reference to the hand shaking after the game:
I witnessed the girls at WA (all of them...yes, even the seniors) shake hands with every Wando player after their loss at WA last year in the Lower State finals. It was their(WA) game to win then too, and they were perfectly capable of walking to shake hands with the opposing team immediately after the match rather than sitting down in the middle of the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like I said, you and others wound not understand. What JI seniors did was not right, but not intentional. That's it, kick them when they are down, rub salt in the wound. How sportsman like of you! JI lost, end of story. Game over! Go FM!

world cup
world cup
Obviously this was a tough and emotional loss for JI, especially with a line-up loaded with seniors. As was mentioned earlier, this was supposed to be "their year".

How is WA set up for the future? Aren't their four best players seniors? What's next year look like in Region 7?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
I don't think any of the WA players felt slighted by the lack of handshakes -- they knew exactly what was happening. Just one guy's opinion. Having an AD send police to make your coach pull you away from your family and friends 20 minutes after a game, walk you back on the field and be herded out the stadium's back door however, was difficult to fathom. If there were rowdy boys, why didn't the two police officers take care of them as necessary? The WA girls were in the middle of their friends and families. Coach McNeely, to his credit, listened politely to the officer then tried to make the case that the girls were doing what had always been done and there was no apparent danger. Then he followed the JI AD's envoy's instructions fully, showing a great deal of poise and respect for authority. Another strange turn in the "Doin' It the Hard WAy Tour '05."

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like most of the talk has been of the unsportsmanlike conduct on the JI side. However, not much has been discussed about the last 10 minutes or so spent in the JI corner with the West Ashley players pulling the infamous "GFC let's hold it in the corner as long as we possibly can" move. Not only was it totally unoriginal, it showed that the WA girls obviously didn't feel they could handle the other team in "real" soccer. I wouldn't put a stunt like that past Coach McNeely for a second, but I have watched most of the Wildcats grow up and did not expect such a poor display of soccer from such talented players. But I guess I am just a biased opinion. Let's hope that the Wildcats won't embarass the lowcountry by doing anything to that degree in Columbia. Knock on wood...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,
Thank you for your correct view of the "after game activities." I was standing about 10 yards away from Coach McNeely when a seemingly overzealous policeman buskly told WA to leave by the back gate. Coach McNeely had just spent the last 10 minutes talking with the press, so he had no idea why we were being rudely ordered to go home. The WA girls were simply talking and celebrating with their friends and family. We had planned on leaving out the back anyhow because that was where the bus was, but the girls asked if they could go see their parents for a few minutes. It didn't seem like a unreasonable request after winning a hard fought battle for the lowerstate title. It was kind of strange, but we did as we were told and got on the bus. The police followed us until we got to the James Island connector. Was he trying to protect us from something? Just another hurdle to get over in the "Hard Way Tour."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lpaf,
I was not sitting with the home team (why would you think that?). I was to your left about 50 feet and 1 row up, so I was in line with the 18! No, I did not have a clear view of foul/handball but I have a better view than most of "where" it happened and it was on the 18 - back to my point- that that kind of judgement call 'might' have been placed outside the 18 and a direct kick.
As to your concern over the WA parents, there was 1 very strange duck between you and I who could not get his cheers straight. A WA English teacher must have lectured the student body because the # of misspelled words was reduced dramatically since the Wando game last week.

World Cup
World Cup
What's wrong with stalling? Taking your time to get a throw in, goal kick, or trapping in the corner-It's done by many teams all over the state. The complaints come out when it happens to your team and you lose. Call it what you want, but apparently the best team won...three times in a row. Ouch. Go West Ashley

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I usually just sit and read, but after reading this thread I had to register. I enjoy watching my niece play for Wando, and it hurt pretty bad to lose last week. One thing I can say about the Wando faithful-we can take a loss with class. Why can't you James Island?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

Sorry, my error. If I had seen you I would have said hello.

lpaf

R
throw in
throw in
R
Viviparous--

You should post FAR more often.

tb4u--

Not saying what the JI girls did was wrong, just slightly rude. If WA can do shake hands in '04, then JI should do it in '05. No more salt intended for anyone's wounds..just a point to be made.

R1C--

I agree about the stalling. I don't see it as a low or dirty technique, rather something that does take practice. While traveling with WA to Macon, GA earlier this year we experienced the same technique pulled on our girls by Stratford Academy. We were down 3-2 with 3 or so mintues left and Stratford Academy managed to pin our girls in the corner with only one or two balls barely inching out into other realms of possesion (of course on to be collected and returned to the corner). This stalling technique, as it's been called would have been glorified if JI or Wando had pulled it off on WA and most likely the only complaints would branch from WA...but thats not what happened, so...

Good Luck to West Ashley Friday night in Columbia. You ladies did it the hard way the whole way through and worked FAR harder than Wando and JI in order to even get to the lower state championship. Best wishes.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
A quick personal note on stalling: I never have liked it, dating back to the state final game that GFC won over Fusion about three years ago. On that particular day, GFC was up by 2 goals late in the game and had totally dominated our poor girls. It was, then, completely unnecessary. For what it's worth last night's corner activity, also to my personal disliking, did take place about 4 minutes into the "time being kept on the field" final 2 minutes in a half that had had no stoppages that I could see. So it goes...

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few good things to say about the JI-WA game: Both teams worked very hard and are to be commended for playing a relatively clean game. I only counted 12 total fouls, and they were almost evenly split. I didn't hear any trash talk on the field or from either bench. Although there wasn't much of a formal line after the game for handshakes, most of the girls shook hands with whoever was nearest. The JI players were understandably upset after the game, and WA was understandably jubuliant. The WA girls didn't act like they thought the JI girls were being poor sports, and I didn't hear anything negative said about JI on the bus ride home either. WA was in the same position a year ago, and they knew how JI felt. The thing after the game was more bizarre than anything, and it didn't have anything to do with JI's team, coaches, or parents. The goal by JI was a thing of beauty by two excellent forwards. Its a mystery to me why #17 wasn't selected to the all state team. She is the best forward we have seen all season. Luckily, she has another year to play, and I hope she finally gets the credit she deserves. Also, the JI coaches did their homework, and WA was not able to do the same things they had done in the first two games. In short, it was a hard fought, emotional game. Yes, JI dominated a significant portion of the game, but WA did enough to win. I know they will represent the lowcountry well in Columbia.

S
bench
bench
S
1.stalling is a very smart thing to do in that situation...up by 1 with 4 minutes to go, r u just going to kick the ball around and give the opposing team a chance? no. Any other team would have tried to do the same thing. Well done wildcats!

2. the whole hand shaking thing was no big deal...they were clearly upset and the WA girls respected that. Some WA girls gave the JI players that were sitting on the ground a pat on the back. The WA team would in no way try to make the JI girls feel even worse...most are friends.

3. The whole idea of being pushed out the back door was not necessary. The JI fans weren't waiting for the WA players to come out, they were waiting for the WA fans to come out. Tensions were high. All the WA girls wanted to do was celebrate with there friends and family (like they always do).

4. To those who are clearly for JI-
it was a tough loss...both teams played hard physically and emotionally. Let's let it rest.

Bring home the State Championship Lady Wildcats!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just wondering if anyone remembers what happened in the Lowerstate semis 2 years ago on Wando's field. JI beat Wando for the first time at home - after the game, a small fight broke out... a couple punches were thrown. My most vivid memory is of watching JI players roll around on our field and scream obscenities to us from the bus as it was leaving the parking lot. Other than the GFC incident (which I was also a part of), I do not remember a more disgraceful showing of sportsmanship.

After playing with many of those girls on the Fusion for a few years, I was able to take the incident with a grain of salt - sure, they were happy, they beat us for the first time ever. I was not at the game on Tuesday to witness what happened, but if things turned out the way that it sounds like, I suppose that the players are a product of their system... I do wish that they had been able to take their turn in representing the Lowerstate in Columbia on Friday, but I'm sure that WA will be equal to the task.

Best of luck to the Wildcats!! Keep the title in the Lowcountry!

S
bench
bench
S
lpaf

Get in your order for the "Doin' It The Hard Way Tour '05" t-shirt for Friday night. They are going fast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Geezzzeee...if you are from the Lowcounty, I guess you must cheer for the local team, which I have done for the last three years and have been very vocal about it. Most of you still don't get it but thats okay. I'll cheer for WA. Does this mean I must cheer for the Carolina Panthers? and the Atlanta Braves? because they are the "local" teams...hope not!

2bize4u

World Cup
World Cup
Get what? I'm so confused by your post.

R
throw in
throw in
R
Yes it's got me a little confused too. Explain please tb4u...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can you send a "private message" and explain to me as well? Or just post it here if it is not too private.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Good to see the tour rolls on to Columbia! Glad my bad luck didn't rub off on WA..I have to work on Friday..so I won't be able to catch Girl's 4A ..but good luck to all..hope both sides have a safe trip..and perhaps I'll see some of you that stick around for Saturday's matches..

yadda yadda yadda..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks dude

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
The West Ashley Wildcats would like to announce their final stop on the "Doin It the Hard WAy Tour '05" which will take place at 7:00pm tomorrow night, Friday 5/13/05, at Stone Stadium in Columbia against Fort Mill High School, the top ranked 4-A school since the begining of season play. West Ashley emerges from a cut throat playoff series of one goal wins, their girls beaten and battered by combat, to face this new northern opponent. One thing is known in advance, tommorow night there will be a new reigning 4A champion. The team that wants it more will go home with it. Let the Tour roll on...

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now that a few days have passed, and some tensions somewhat deflated, I wish to state that I witnessed a wonderfully played, coached, AND "Ref-ed" game. JI came out as a well oiled machine (with guns blazing), but WA whose team play was very good, had a few key players that made the difference. Personally, I would have prefered JI to be playing tonight, but I'm proud that a Lowcountry team will be represented at the State Championship.

Just a side note, after an entire season of attending JI games, my puppy was "busted" by the same cops. For some reason, the very presence of some, "irrespective of species," seemed to be irritating to the brut squad. ???

goal
goal
Another note on the "stalling" comments - as I understand it, there are a couple different ways to stall - 1) attempting to keep possession of the ball as long as possible without actively going on the offensive, and 2) taking your time when you have a throw-in, corner kick, etc.

Regarding #1, one of the objects in soccer is to possess the ball, whether you are attempting to move the ball forward, or merely playing "keep-away." You cannot score if you don't have the ball - on the other hand, you can't win a game if you don't try to score, either.

Regarding #2, one of the great things about soccer is that the referee is the only person who keeps time. If he witnesses a player intentionally taking an excess amount of time to put a ball into play, he/she has the option to add time to the end of the “official” game time, i.e., Stoppage Time. Even though I was pulling for JI during the game, it appeared that the center ref added more than enough time to compensate for any “stalling” by the WA girls.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
The West Ashley Lady Wildcats announce the successful completion of their "Doin' It the Hard WAy Tour '05" in Stone Stadium late Friday night, 5/13/05. They would like to thank Richland Northeast (2-1), Summerville (1-0, OT), Wando (1-0, pks), and James Island (2-1) for pushing them to their limit over the last two weeks and helping them train for the toughest win of all over an excellent Fort Mill squad tonight (4-3, golden goal) in the State Final 4A match. GO WILDCATS: 3 state championships in 4 years was too much to expect, but you did it. And you were true to form, doin' it the hard way once more...

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The bus rolled into WAHS at 3:15 AM. Tour over!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JOB well done ladies!! You guys played awesome in a 3 to 4 match. I'm so proud and as this season ended tonight it will replay in my head.I wish I would have step it up more for yall tonight but playoffs and lowerstate took a lot out of me. I wish the best of luck to WAHS next year and also lets keep the State Title in the Lowcountry!
GO CATS!!

~YOUR SENIOR KEEPER.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will,
You were at the game, but anytime a team loses a two goal lead in less than 20 minutes I think that the term "wheels falling off is applicable."I'm sure WA earned the goals but at that point the game should be on ice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to hand it to the WA girls. I honestly did not think they were as strong as in years past. Apparently the Will to Win was too strong to deny.
It will be fun to watch their graduating seniors play at College level.

R
throw in
throw in
R
I am so very proud of my girls. Wow! An amazing game. We don't do anything easy, that's for sure. Coming back from a two goal defecit? Now that's a will to win. With everything against us (including the refs) and no one to believe in us (other than ourselves) we were able to pull through. I'm going to miss our seniors more than anything next year, and I know that the junior class can step it up. WA may not be the best next year, but they WILL a force to be reconed with.

A great game played by EVERY member of the team last night. I didn't see anyone go out there and try to play less than there best. Special congratulations to Callie Purvis (her diversity of positions allowed WA to push D. Jordan up top), Candace Jordan (outstanding freshman performance. Scored the tying goal with a shot that brought myself and many other players, parents, and coaches to tears...literally. She played out of her shoes last night. She also stuck on FM's power player #9 quite well), Danielle Jordan (simply amazing every game), Alexis Brothers (fancy footwork up top able to confuse the life out of the opposing defense), Alechia Brothers (successfully and gracefully holding it down in the back for the Wildcats, as usual), and Julie Bolt (with consistent pressure in the midfield and some of the most amazing headers and volleys I've ever seen). The entire team played fantastic last night. We did it the hard way..again. What a fantastic way to end a fantastic season!

3 state chamionships in 4 years from a school thats only existed for 5 years? I'd say that's something special.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Local news showed a FM goal called back. FM player went a little ballistic. What was that all about?

P
throw in
throw in
P
It was oen of those rules things.

You didnt hvae a lot of luck with your predictions, i see. Lose moeny on the game?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
Praise is in order for the overall quality of the play by Fort Mill -- soccer of the highest level. These girls will be a force to be reckoned with for years.

But particularly the play of Jennifer Ficklen stood out. A hat trick of differently styled goals spread over 60 minutes of soccer to give her team a 3-1 lead late in the second half, coupled with precise ball movement and great vision. I can only wish her the best as she takes her game to the next level(s).

lpaf

------------------------------

Never underestimate the value of good karma.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The facilities at Stone Stadium were excellent. This was a big step up from two year's ago when the West Ashley girls had to wade through ankle-deep water in the dressing room! The pitch last night was in great shape. We were fortunate to play the high school State championship games on a Division 1 NCAA field. Thank you USC.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The facilities at Stone Stadium were excellent. This was a big step up from two year's ago when the West Ashley girls had to wade through ankle-deep water in the dressing room! The pitch last night was in great shape. We were fortunate to play the high school State championship games on a Division 1 NCAA field. Thank you USC.

world cup
world cup
run97,

Congratulations, great job by West Ashley.

Couple things. I know you want to highlight the performance of some of your girls but referencing anyone shutting down Jen Ficklen is ridiculous. As lpaf will attest, Ficklen was clearly the equal of Danielle Jordan and Julie Bolt last night. Ficklen had two goals and an assist and was dazzling everytime she possessed the ball.

katya, I'm asking myself the same question. I don't think anybody knows why that FM goal got called back.

And run97.....the refs were against you? The officiating was very suspect and overtly physical play was encouraged. Isn't this the definition of ghetto soccer? You guys did a tremendous job of taking advantage of these conditions and you deserved to win. Congratulations on three out of four.....but don't imply the refs were working against you.

F
kick off
kick off
F
hurst66,

I personally thought the refereeing was clearly tilted in favor of FM most of the night. Most of the night it looked like WA was playing against 12, not 11. Maybe his vision was weak and he only saw the reaction, and not the action. I would welcome other less biased opinions from others there.

S
bench
bench
S
Wow! This game was the most exciting experience of my life. And I would never want to spend it with any other group of people. I love every single one of you. I dont know what I am going to do without my seniors. Ya'll mean so much to me. Ya'll have taught me so much and i will never forget ya'll. Tears are already coming to my eyes because i dont want yall to leave. I will never forget the experiences i have shared with you.

We did it ladies...and we deserved it more than anyone else. Congratulations!

Love,
Your Rookie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
congrats to w.a. although i was not able to attend the match, i heard it was extremely well played. i know who a few of the girls on the team are and realize that a title could go to no one more well-deserving. way to go wildcats!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hurst66 .... No one said anyone was shut down .. I do believe .. said stay with her.. Get rid of the ghetto talk ... WA.... great job! No matter what anyone says, you did it! Stand up South Carolina and give your 4A champs some applause.All I see on this boards are excuses. Soccer is soccer. On any given day, who knows who may win? Again congrats West Ashley... you did it the hard way against the best teams in the state!

world cup
world cup
marcoefan,

Candace Jordan's goal was phenomenal (and brought tears to my eyes as well)....

but, to infer that she, or anyone else from WA, "stuck it to" or even "stayed with" Jen Ficklen is absolutely incorrect. One could argue that Ficklen was the best player on the field Friday night and someone reading your post, who didn't witness the match, may be led to believe that Candace did a number on her. Candace's impact in the match (like her sister Jordan) was on the offensive end, not on the defensive end.

There have been no excuses given on these boards. The FM fans have been very honorable in defeat. It was a great comeback victory for WA in a very exciting match, well worth the $8.

D
DDF Offline
kick off
kick off
D
The officials missed allot of calls that night, elbows, trips from the back, pulling down by the shirt and a couple of clear punches. They did not have even remote control of that game, as allot of dangerous play was observed. I witnessed some agressive play and some physical play, but it was obvious when play became more physical the favor was tilted toward WA. However it was not because they did anything wrong, it is just that their team was better suited for a more physical style of play.

I think both teams were hurt by poor officiating in one way or another. And in spite of that both teams proved they belonged in that title game.

quote:
Originally posted by firefly:
hurst66,

I personally thought the refereeing was clearly tilted in favor of FM most of the night. Most of the night it looked like WA was playing against 12, not 11. Maybe his vision was weak and he only saw the reaction, and not the action. I would welcome other less biased opinions from others there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do us all a favor Marco and do not post on this thread!

No one has made excuses and we have enjoyed a classy conversation. You threaten to ruin that so please, from all of us, go away.

S
bench
bench
S
thank you for your support marcoefan

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
West Ashley Wildcats are definitely a "gutsy squad" as the Post and Courier reported. You are also a team that plays with a ton of passion and a with a whole lot of heart. Congratulations, you deserved it!!

P
throw in
throw in
P
Mister Hurst --

Jenniver Ficklen had a great gaem and without her Fort Mill would have been an also ran in the finals, and maybe all season long. But no one is "dazzling" every time they have the ball. It was the best $8 I ever spent on a sporting event. Congradulations to WA and FM for giving us such graet competition.

ps: It was just like you said it would be months ago. Fort Mill was just like Illinois.

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
In my final post on this thread I would like to thank the Lady Wildcats and their coaching staff for all they have given us, the fans, over the last 4 years. Three state 4-A championships, too many exciting regular season and playoff games to count, and, above all, your best efforts at all times. This has been a very special team, the likes of which SC HS soccer may not see for quite a while. I wish the best to the returning players and have great confidence that they will continue the tradition established by the current squad. There is great promise there. I thank CGSA, now CUSC, for providing the platform of training from which this powerhouse was able to emerge. A special thanks, and at the same time an almost "We're sorry" to James Island, and the Fusion sisters there. You would have won over Fort Mill, in my opinion, more easily than West Ashley did. You were always better than your end of season ranking. Thank you, Coach McNeely, for your guidance of our children. They are better players and better people for what you and the rest of the WA coaching staff have brought to them. Thank you, Andy Grist, soccer, nutrition and fitness dictator. Who but a Brit could have brought such fundamentally solid soccer to the Lowcountry? Times change, teams change. You can never step in the same river twice. It was a great four years. May the next four hold even greater surprises.

lpaf

ps: Thanks also to the Heise's and SCSoccer.com for providing a forum in which to discuss all of the above. The best $15 entertainment bargain around...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Congratulations to the ladies of West Ashley. What a way for the seniors to go out and what a legacy you are leaving behind. As the saying goes, no guts, no glory. You all have guts! It's been great watching you as I cheered for you, and also cheered against you when you played against my girls of orange and blue. It was all done in the spirit of the game and we always kept it on the field. Big hugs for all of you next time I see you, which I hope will be soon. Good luck to all of you seniors with college soccer. Rock on ladies!!!! With the sincerest best of wishes to all of you, fanofgrits (a.k.a. dianne)

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
LPAF,

I have to say that was the most exciting, best high school soccer game I have ever seen. There aren't enough adjectives to describe how great that game was. If there were to be a ranking of best championship games, this would have to be number 1.

Julie Bolt was magic. I just wish she were going to be as USC so we could see her more than once every other year.

dhunter

S
bench
bench
S
i leave this thread with one last thought...

i want to thank all of the people who have given west ashley support and those who have criticized us, you can't get better without criticism...there is a difference between constructive criticism and rude comments though. Every night when i come home after a game i race to this thread to see what people have said. It's been great. Hopefully there will be many more threads like this next high school season.

One last comment to my teammates....

We've been bruised, scratched, and kicked
But we were never broken
We've been sore, tired, and annoyed
But never did we fall
Through these things we have taught each other courage, love and wisdom
When times were tough, we were strong
When we didn’t succeed, we tried harder
When someone was down, we gave them a smile
We stuck together and made it through
Nothing will ever tear us apart

* BLOOD * SWEAT * TEARS *

...the legend WILL go on!

I love you!

Love,
Your Rookie

#1 from beginning to end

World Cup
World Cup
West Ashley and Fort Mill -- thanks for treating me to the best girls soccer match I have ever witnessed! It was a superb performance by two heavyweight teams (much like a heavyweight boxing match where both teams left everything on the field). Talk about highs-and-lows for both sides! Super match -- there were no losers in this game Friday night and both teams are to be congratulated for their championship seasons!

Also, I want to personally acknowlege West Ashley HS and Coach Drew McNeely for elevating girls high school soccer in South Carolina as evidenced by their three Class 4A State Championships in the last four years. What more can you say about Julie Bolt, Alechia and Alexis Brothers, and Danielle Jordan (and her little sister Candace)? Truly a delight to watch and I wish those seniors the best in their futures!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard