Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
World Cup
World Cup
There was no hand shaking?

2bize, you mentioned a "hand signal" but not this. What gives?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, there was hand shaking. Most, if not all of the seniors, were very upset, and just sat wherever they were at the end of the game with their heads in their hands. They eventually made their way over and shook hands but it was not in the normal manner (all at once, right after the game) as it took a few minutes for them to make their way, and perhaps not all even made it. I am not sure. I really don't think, nor expect, folks not familiar with the JI program to understand the severity of this loss and what these girls have been through. It was there game to win and was a real heartbreaker. Would rate in my top 2 as a parent of a player. The other being at a regional semi-final in Memphis. I did not witness the rushing out of the lingering players but did see a fight almost break out between a WA fan and a JI fan right after the game so perhaps thats why the JI AD made that choice. As far as the Brother hand signal, no excuse. Bad sportmanship is still bad sportsmanship. Two different situations totally. Go FM!

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
firefly --

I was on the field retrieving a sign when the officer spoke to Coach McNeely. The officer was adamant and a bit agitated. The only thing I could think of was the AD felt there was some kind of security risk. It was at least 15 minutes after the end of the game and parents and friends were greeting their players like they have every game I've ever been to at The Back Yard, in front of the main entrance. Nothing rowdy was going on to my eye.

JIAnnouncer --

Nice job from the box last night. Good enthusiasm.

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Re: the PK - even if it was a hand ball it was right on the 18 (WA was throwing in from sideline
and girls from both sides went up for ball). WA player went down and whistle blew immediately. Handball was probably inadvertant. Many a time when it is that close to the 18, a referee has been known to push it outside of the 18 to make it a direct kick instead of a PK.
I am not disputing the outcome of game ( Wando lost week before!), just curious about the referee's decision. By the way - the refereeing was very good in all the games I witnessed in the playoffs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will someone please bring those "good" referees to Columbia Friday? Thank you. [Smile]

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
S! --

I know from where I was sitting (about twenty yards closer to the play than the JI seats, if you were sitting with the home team), you couldn't see the hand ball at all. I initially thought Bolt had been fouled too , as she went to ground following the jump. Just out of curiosity, if you couldn't see the play well enough to see it wasn't a foul, why should you presume it was an inadvertant hand ball? The ref called it immediately and was about 10 yards from the players. I figure he got the best view. I've always thought the reluctance of refs to call fouls in the box in big games puts forwards at a disadvantage and leads to rougher play than would be tolerated elsewhere on the field. I, like you, thought the refereeing was consistant and not biased. Nice summary of the game. Were the WA parents well behaved?

lpaf

world cup
world cup
mccoy,

Those "good refs" are Charleston-based. I would prefer a neutral, competent trio from the Columbia area.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Neutral AND competent from Columbia?
Would you like fries with that too?
Perhaps a moment of prayer would be in order...

Goal
Goal
"Competent" and "Columbia" officials in the same sentence? That's an oxymoron isn't it?

Goal
Goal
I look forward to the 4A Girls Championship this weekend. Good luck to both teams!

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard