Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
See Hurst?
77's from Columbia and he knows better...
[Smile]

R
throw in
throw in
R
In reference to the hand shaking after the game:
I witnessed the girls at WA (all of them...yes, even the seniors) shake hands with every Wando player after their loss at WA last year in the Lower State finals. It was their(WA) game to win then too, and they were perfectly capable of walking to shake hands with the opposing team immediately after the match rather than sitting down in the middle of the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like I said, you and others wound not understand. What JI seniors did was not right, but not intentional. That's it, kick them when they are down, rub salt in the wound. How sportsman like of you! JI lost, end of story. Game over! Go FM!

world cup
world cup
Obviously this was a tough and emotional loss for JI, especially with a line-up loaded with seniors. As was mentioned earlier, this was supposed to be "their year".

How is WA set up for the future? Aren't their four best players seniors? What's next year look like in Region 7?

L
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
L
I don't think any of the WA players felt slighted by the lack of handshakes -- they knew exactly what was happening. Just one guy's opinion. Having an AD send police to make your coach pull you away from your family and friends 20 minutes after a game, walk you back on the field and be herded out the stadium's back door however, was difficult to fathom. If there were rowdy boys, why didn't the two police officers take care of them as necessary? The WA girls were in the middle of their friends and families. Coach McNeely, to his credit, listened politely to the officer then tried to make the case that the girls were doing what had always been done and there was no apparent danger. Then he followed the JI AD's envoy's instructions fully, showing a great deal of poise and respect for authority. Another strange turn in the "Doin' It the Hard WAy Tour '05."

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like most of the talk has been of the unsportsmanlike conduct on the JI side. However, not much has been discussed about the last 10 minutes or so spent in the JI corner with the West Ashley players pulling the infamous "GFC let's hold it in the corner as long as we possibly can" move. Not only was it totally unoriginal, it showed that the WA girls obviously didn't feel they could handle the other team in "real" soccer. I wouldn't put a stunt like that past Coach McNeely for a second, but I have watched most of the Wildcats grow up and did not expect such a poor display of soccer from such talented players. But I guess I am just a biased opinion. Let's hope that the Wildcats won't embarass the lowcountry by doing anything to that degree in Columbia. Knock on wood...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,
Thank you for your correct view of the "after game activities." I was standing about 10 yards away from Coach McNeely when a seemingly overzealous policeman buskly told WA to leave by the back gate. Coach McNeely had just spent the last 10 minutes talking with the press, so he had no idea why we were being rudely ordered to go home. The WA girls were simply talking and celebrating with their friends and family. We had planned on leaving out the back anyhow because that was where the bus was, but the girls asked if they could go see their parents for a few minutes. It didn't seem like a unreasonable request after winning a hard fought battle for the lowerstate title. It was kind of strange, but we did as we were told and got on the bus. The police followed us until we got to the James Island connector. Was he trying to protect us from something? Just another hurdle to get over in the "Hard Way Tour."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lpaf,
I was not sitting with the home team (why would you think that?). I was to your left about 50 feet and 1 row up, so I was in line with the 18! No, I did not have a clear view of foul/handball but I have a better view than most of "where" it happened and it was on the 18 - back to my point- that that kind of judgement call 'might' have been placed outside the 18 and a direct kick.
As to your concern over the WA parents, there was 1 very strange duck between you and I who could not get his cheers straight. A WA English teacher must have lectured the student body because the # of misspelled words was reduced dramatically since the Wando game last week.

World Cup
World Cup
What's wrong with stalling? Taking your time to get a throw in, goal kick, or trapping in the corner-It's done by many teams all over the state. The complaints come out when it happens to your team and you lose. Call it what you want, but apparently the best team won...three times in a row. Ouch. Go West Ashley

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I usually just sit and read, but after reading this thread I had to register. I enjoy watching my niece play for Wando, and it hurt pretty bad to lose last week. One thing I can say about the Wando faithful-we can take a loss with class. Why can't you James Island?

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard