Print Thread
#47955 05/04/05 01:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To those of you who have given me hours of chuckles {and incidentally, invaluable insight} I Thank You!!! I've only recently found out about you folks, but I'm sure glad I did. I look forward to "listening" in on many future discussions.

By the way, this was not intended as a smooch on the collective behind (not consciously anyway,) just a sincere expression of my enjoyment.

#47956 05/04/05 02:25 AM
B
bench
bench
B
Driving home from work today, I reflected on the history of women’s high school soccer in SC, at least from my personal perspective. If you have a different (or similar) recollection of what follows, I would enjoy reading it.

30-35 years ago, soccer was not a sport even identified by many public elementary and middle school children in SC. I know in my schools it was not a sport ever mentioned or taught in PE. We had kickball, and while it was fun, it certainly wasn’t soccer.

20-25 years ago, soccer was making inroads in SC high schools… for boys. I recall a friend carrying around a soccer ball and wearing “funny” shoes. We were intrigued by this international sport, but still chose to follow traditional American sports like football, basketball, baseball and tennis. Women’s soccer? If we had it, and we might have, the players would have been the female athletes who excelled at just about every sport; you know – volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter, softball in the spring. And I am certain there was a very small fan base.

10 years ago, girls were definitely playing soccer in SC high schools. And I can actually recall the names of some of those girls. Yet, the players were not what we think of today as a dedicated soccer player, playing year round to perfect her game. Some geographic pockets in SC consistently produced better soccer than others and could be considered threats for state championships each year.

Why even post this historical perspective? To applaud those in SC who, over the past 30 years, have advanced women’s soccer across the state. This year, we have multiple “pockets” of talent producing an exciting set of candidates for state champion. We have community interest in our women’s soccer programs. We have standout players across the state, each capable of claiming a personal proponent on this very message board. Heck, we have a SC women’s soccer message board!

I am thankful my daughter has the opportunity to be a part of the soccer community. She has more choices in high school than I did for competitive sports. She can choose to be the player rather than the cheerleader; she can play an aggressive team sport rather than be limited to just the individual sports. No, I am not denigrating the other sports, simply highlighting what I have witnessed to be a positive influence on my daughter.

To those of you who coach, direct, administer or in any other way contribute to making SC high school soccer better, thanks. To those of you who have posted on this site this season, thanks. Like NOMENCLATURE, I found your insights informative, humorous and mostly helpful in feeling connected across the state to others with a similar passion.

I love women’s soccer. Best of luck to all SC high school teams and players competing for the coveted state championship this month. I hope all players emerge without injury and I hope all fans enjoy the thrill of the competition. I hope all referees make good calls!
[Smile]

#47957 05/04/05 02:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Buzz-

That was so wonderful...until you got to the last line...PLEASE...if the refs didn't suck, who could we blame for losing:) It is so easy to coach and to ref from the stands...if I was on the field, I would be red carded...then the big ole crane would come and pick my fat butt up after running one length of the field...I too love to watch these girls and love how tough they play. We are breeding a whole new group of competitive women with self confidence who don't take crap...not a bad combo huh?

#47958 05/04/05 03:29 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
nmclture --

Venery, probity, coign. The first time three previously unseen words on SCSoccer.com appear in a poster's profile. Bravo.

lpaf

ps: And to think the censoring software was busy looking for *ick permutations.

#47959 05/04/05 03:46 AM
D
corner kick
corner kick
D
Hmmm...

Thirty years ago my wife was playing varsity basketball at her high school. My mother played baseball (not softball) back in the 50's. I consider those to be "aggressive team sports". Maybe that is why they are some of those "competitive women with self confidence who don't take crap". And, I am glad they are! My wife and I are raising two more of those for the world to deal with.

I expect Chapindad to post here any minute!!!

#47960 05/04/05 12:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my horrible school abridged dictionary doesn't have venery or coign in it. I guess those are two words that the exit exam writers don't figure to put on their exam! I liked probity though, I assume the others follow suit

#47961 05/04/05 12:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Deahler-

Shame on you for saying 30 yrs ago about your young and lovely wife. May she use some of that aggression on your backside for that awful slip. 20+ years ago, I played volleyball, gymnastics, track and cheered...thus I am not one to speak my mind:)~

#47962 05/05/05 04:44 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
SCcap'n --

I wish I could sit back and say I immediately knew the meanings of the three words, but I had to pull out my Funk and Wagnalls too. Seldom seen interesting words. Venery is, a homomorph, having two distinct meanings derived from two separate ancient root words.

lpaf

venery:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/v/v0052300.html

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/v/v0052200.html

http://www.kith.org/logos/words/lower/h.html

probity:

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2000/01/29.html

coign:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coign

#47963 05/04/05 05:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is class lpaf! Post on!

#47964 05/04/05 05:39 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
coach --

Nomenclature gets the credit -- I just looked the words up. I did have a thread called "Vocabulary and Syntax" on the girls' board a couple of years ago but it was seldom visited and often derided, particularly by the occasional monosylabic testosterone driven male HS players who wander in here every once in a while. Like sands through the hour glass it's burried under a thousand thousand posts. The screen name "Nomenclature" caught my eye last night, suggesting a certain interest in words. Then the bio yielded probity, venery and coign, along with the enigmatic "Team you support - 11". Still working on that one.

lpaf

Link Copied to Clipboard