Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guess the experience of having been there before gave them the street smarts to pull it off. The decision to allow, obviously in response to their request, was inappropriate. That fence does seem like a great place for banners, but there needs to be concern for them adding background that might result in diminished ball sight.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just want to tell the complete and true story of the lone “Go Wildcats” sign. I knew from past trips to the State Championship game that signs were not allowed in the stadium. But, since it was being moved to a new site I asked another registered person to start the topic because I could not find any rules on the web site about the subject.

After seeing the post by Kevin that no signs of any kind were allowed in the stadium (as it was in 2003 when WA was there the 2nd time), I decided to bring the sign I made since we WERE allowed to hang them OUTSIDE the stadium that year.

When my family and I walked up to the nice lady at the table taking money I decided to ask permission to hang the sign outside the stadium before doing so. She promptly told me signs were allowed as long as they were good in nature and hung in an “approved place”. I looked down at the small sign taped to the table in front of her that said “No signs, banners, etc. allowed in stadium” and said “ You can?” She pointed to a piece of paper taped down on the table so it would stay in place and showed me where it said something about signs allowed, but must be hung on walls, etc., etc. Then she told us, “the two West Ashley ladies”, that we needed to find an official in a white shirt and asked him where we were allowed to hang it. The first “official in a white shirt” we came across was Roger Hazel (did not know it was him at first - after we got permission I asked him if he was Roger Hazel). He told us that we could hang it on the far fence and told us how to get over there. When we reached our destination an entourage of men leaning on the fence told us we were not allowed to hang the sign. We proceeded to tell them we were just told by Roger Hazel that we could hang it. After a walkie talkie conversation with Roger Hazel confirmed our story, they told us to go ahead. After a few minutes, they came over and asked us to wait until the current game was over. So we rolled it back up and went back over to the other side to wait. When the game went into overtime, Roger said we could hang it while they were resting before the overtime started.

It just so happened that the FM team walked up just as we were starting to hang it and I looked at them and said “Hello, there. I guess you will be meeting our girls in a few minutes”. After a look of confusion, some of them looked over the fence at the sign we were struggling to tape to the not so cooperative black mesh and laughed (I thought duck tape stuck to anything!). After a few minutes of frustration, some of the FM girls tried to help us by giving suggestions. That is when my friend and I told them we did not think we were going to be allowed to hang the sign inside. We told them that if they had some signs that they did not bring inside b/c of the confusing rules, we would be happy to share our tape with them. A few of them thought about running to the bus and getting one, but did not go through with it.

After the successful taping of the lone “Go Wildcat” sign, my friend and I said to the FM team, “Good luck and have fun.” It was an odd meeting between rivals, but I was glad I was able to talk to them for a few minutes and was impressed with their good sportsmanship when it came to the sign. It was a great game and FM is an excellent team and certainly one that must be reckoned with next year. Good luck next year FM and HAVE FUN!!

I agree with you Kevin, good natured signs should be allowed.

FMdad - there was no sneaky street smart plan to pull off something that was not allowed. You really should not assume something until you have heard “the complete and true story”.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard