Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48546 05/13/05 03:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After this year is it over for WA? B,B2 and J are gone. Do they have anything to build on for future years?

World Cup
World Cup
No. They will discontinue the program after this.

world cup
world cup
I asked this same question on a previous thread. Apparently JI is senior-heavy this year too. Does that make Wando the team to beat next year in the lowerstate?

(We all know Lex is the team to beat next year in the upperstate).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm sure a lot of schools wish they would. The question was do they have any more young talent to build on?

S
coach
coach
S
Friday 13th

Karma Debt

Fort Mill #1

Is this the real "treble"?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hurst...you're saying Lex when FM gets nearly everyone back???

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
FMdad - I guess you don't know your buddy Hurst very well. That was his attempt to get someone from Lex to bite, but I'm not biting.
Like they say in Chicago every year after a sports season is over.."Wait till next year" Good luck to FM tonight. I'm kind of torn who I would like to see win. I want FM just because they are from the upstate, and it's been a while since any team from the upstate has won it all, but after the road WA has taken to get here it would be quite the story for them to win it all.
Besides with all the talk about FM on this board all year long, well.......

world cup
world cup
Believe me, I was never looking for any support (or sympathy) from the Lex fans.

They know what's coming again next year. It should be fun.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We just don't know what to expect from the Lower state teams i guess.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Chico --

I'm with you. The trouble with trebles is you never know quite where they will turn up, but it is rarely where you think.

lpaf

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Hurst66] Believe me, I was never looking for any support (or sympathy) from the Lex fans.<<

Support: Last February I picked West Ashley to win it all based solely on individual talent that I saw in watching many of these girls play in RIIIPL for CUSC/CGSA Fusion; this coming February it will be hard not to pick Fort Mill based on the double threat of individual talent and incredible teamwork.

Sympathy: I certainly haven't had sympathy for Fort Mill in the past; that would be like fans of the Houston Rockets having sympathy for the Phoenix Suns or San Antonio Spurs. Fort Mill is an awesome, incredible, wonderful team with almost all of its players returning. Lexington will have some talent next year if all of its core eligible players return and if the squabble between the Lexington club and high school is truly resolved; but Lexington's players will have to work incredibly hard year-round and all next high school season to give Fort Mill a decent game.

Do I have sympathy for Fort Mill now? Of course, Fort Mill showed why they are one of the best high school girls teams in the state in the game last night and the loss had to be heartbreaking. But in 2006, I have more sympathy for those teams that have to play Fort Mill, because Fort Mill is going to be even better than their wonderful team of 2005.

>>They know what's coming again next year. It should be fun.<<

If I were in Fort Mill's shoes, that's how I'd feel. Being in Lexington's shoes, all I see is a very, very, very tough road ahead for anyone playing Fort Mill. You folks have a truly wonderful high school team. I hope the rest of the state steps up their game to give you folks some competition.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WA showed great skill, conditioning, patience and most of all heart. A well earned win. Congratulations.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Hurst - after watching FM play last night, I sure am glad Lexington didn't get a chance to play your girls again this year. Even at our best we could not have played with either FM or WA this year. That was just an outstanding display of soccer last night. FM has a excellent team, fast, skilled, physical, smart. The rest of the state girls teams have a lot of work to do to be able to give FM a run for their money next year. FM will be my odds on favorite to win it all next year since you don't seem to be loosing many players. Great season and good luck to all the FM girls in the upcoming club season.

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
BTW: WA was just incredible. That first goal by Bolt was a rocket. Even though they were down by 2 in the middle of the second half they kept on at it and it payed off. I also think the WA coach made some great adjustments when he moved his players around to the differnt positions late in the game. That's what made the difference in my opinion.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
LF --

You made a very keen observation. WA basically had three formations they used at different times during the season. They opened up the game in the balanced (half way between full defense and full offense) formation with Bolt and Alexis Brother up top, Danielle Jordan in sweeper, and of course Purvis, Lee, etc in the mid. They found themselves in a hole very quickly after Ficklen buried the ball in the net on an in the box foul and pk (of specious merit, given the way the center ref let contact go unpunished for the rest of the game). Bolt answered with the blast past Ostrander less than 90 seconds later, the ball rolling off her upstretched fingertips into the goal. This really just reset the game at even play.

Ficklen's second goal on a gorgeous cross 3 minutes into the second half did not prompt a change in formation by the WA coaching staff, but when WA keep Brother misjudged Ficklen's long ball and watched it bounce over her head into the goal for 3-1, Coach McNeely opted to pull Danielle Jordan up to forward and team her with her sister (freshman Candace Jordan) and Lexis Brothers (among others) for a more potent offense. Defense wasn't going to get WA back in the game at that point. Bolt dropped to center mid to support and better defend. This offense in the last 15 or 20 minutes of regulation and then the ot and golden goal periods was simply too much for Fort Mill's defense, which packed the box while still generating an occasional scary run down the field. In the end, the tight games and OT play WA was forced to endure in regular season and playoff series may have given them a greater sense of place and confidence as the game pushed beyond regulation, and helped with their level of fitness at 80+ minutes. It didn't hurt that they had already been to the finals match twice in the last three years either. Next year, if they are lucky enough to be there, Fort Mill will be a more confident team for last night's play.

lpaf

world cup
world cup
That's fair commentary lpaf, and I know you had a good view. As I said in two or three other threads, congratulations, great comeback, you deserved the victory.

But what about the first half goal by Schmitt that was disallowed? How did you see it because I still don't understand the call?

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
H66 --

Interference with the goalie, I am given to understand, on good authority. Will review the dvd when it comes.

lpaf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard