Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
#48824 06/24/05 02:46 AM
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
The point is simply one. Teachers are under contract. Contracts are signed in March or April. To get out of a contract requires agreement between both parties. If one party abdicates without permission of the other, thats breach of contract. In this case WHS has to grant permission to leave.

Its a bit funny to think that a student straight out of college is capable of being a head high school coach - even if it is Wacammaw HS. If nothing else, a teacher starts at $28,000 per year which means their entire salary has to go to their rent.

And oh by the way - if the newspaper won't run the story why is their nothing on either website.

#48825 06/24/05 03:26 AM
P
throw in
throw in
P
Im wthi guardrail on this. No annuoncement of any kind from anywhere for the msot coveted girls HS coaching job in the state -- maybe its not true since it hasnt been in the Post nad Courier yet. Who's the deep thraot? Adn who else interveiwed for the job?

#48826 06/24/05 03:27 AM
Brace
Brace
Why was Coach Champ not at North-South and why has she not posted anything saying that she's signed at Wando and has moved to Charleston? She visits this message board b/c when she unfairly lambasted Coach Bennage from Academic Magnet, she had numerous posts attributed to her name.

Also, I would think that if you were the next coach at Wando that you would be telling anyone who would listen that you had gotten that position. Heck, I probably would have rented a road side billboard.

By the way, while it may not be considered "suing for breach of contract", Districts have had the State Dept. of Education suspend teachers' certificates for up to 5 years for breaking contracts. Being an uncertified teacher means finding another occupation. So the comment from GR22 is not absurd.

#48827 06/24/05 11:34 AM
World Cup
World Cup
quote:
Its a bit funny to think that a student straight out of college is capable of being a head high school coach - even if it is Wacammaw HS. If nothing else, a teacher starts at $28,000 per year which means their entire salary has to go to their rent.
That's happened quite a bit in a lot of sports at the prep level. I don't know why you would think someone coming straight out of college would not be prepared to be a head coach, but would love for you to provide your opinion. I look forward to reading it.

quote:
And oh by the way - if the newspaper won't run the story why is their nothing on either website.
I'm not totally sure on this point, but I believe former Coach Scott Ferguson maintained the website for the Wando HS girls program. From my understanding, he is retired from the program altogether, so I expect those duties will need to be picked up by someone currently involved with WHS girls soccer. Ferguson did an excellent job with the promotion of his program.

#48828 06/24/05 01:49 PM
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Its a bit off topic here but how many head soccer coaches are there in SC today who graduated from college last month? For that metter how many first year head coaches in SC Soccer graduated this time last year.

How many athletic directors in South Carolina would actually read the resume of a college graduate who applied for a head soccer coaching job and or acknowlege receiving it.

Close, personal, first hand, easy to reach out and touch experience for me says the answer to question two is ZERO. I suspect question one is the same.

Whether or not they come out of college preapred is a moot point. They don't because they don't get the detailed experiences of scheduling, logistics, eligibility, dealing with players, dealing with people, dealing with parents, driving the bus, and 10 or 12 other things they don't teach in college.

#48829 06/24/05 05:34 PM
World Cup
World Cup
I came straight out of college and took the T.L. job. 17-5 last year.

Westside high school's coach came straight out of college and took the job. Most wins in history...leading scorer in state. I think certain individuals are ready based on the experiences from the passt i.e. YMCA coaching, high school-club-collegiate playing experience. Nothing prepares you, however, like the job itself.

Someone straight out of college didn't get the job so I do not know why we are arguing that point. The point is an experienced high school and head college coach got the job. Was this person the best candidate? I don't know. But she got it and I will let you dance on my grave if breach of contract is an issue. It is absurd to think a school would sue a teacher. Absolutely absurd.

Being that none of you are a part of Wando nor have any kids that attend the high school...might I ask for the board why it is such a big deal to you?

#48830 06/25/05 02:05 AM
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
>>>Being that none of you are a part of Wando nor have any kids that attend the high school...might I ask for the board why it is such a big deal to you?<<<

Tired of watching the news and its to hot to cut the grass.

#48831 06/26/05 05:06 PM
C
Coach Emeritus
Coach Emeritus
C
My only statement to this discussion is I've seen many a coach not get a job because the school district would not release them. It is each individual school districts course of action to take. Most work with you depending on the time of year, but no law states that they have to release you. You can have your license suspended.

#48832 06/29/05 11:45 PM
Goal
Goal
Is this final and for sure? She seems to be a good coach and will probably do well with the amount of talent that passes through Wando.

#48833 06/30/05 04:50 AM
P
throw in
throw in
P
The raw material at Wadno coaches itsefl, in spite of its coaches. Way too many bright, affulent girls well healed in good club soccer. Peice of cake for State in '06. Anything less and the new coach should be canned, whoever he or she mihgt be. There'll be lots of good appilcants again next year if thigns don't work out.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard