Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Defending Class 3A State Champion Brookland-Cayce High School will host the 3rd Annual Lady Bearcats Invitational March 17-18, 2006 at The Cage in Cayce, SC.

The eight-team tournament guarantees each participating team three matches. The entry fee is $250 and each team also must purchase a minimum of 18 t-shirts at $10 each. The entry fee is due on February 1, 2006 and the t-shirts can be paid upon arrival at the tournament.

If you are interested in competing in the LBI, please contact Coach Kevin Heise at kevin@scsoccer.com.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
We are still searching for teams for this tournament. If you are interested, please contact me as soon as possible at kevin@scsoccer.com.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Bumping this up.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
bumping again

J
world cup
world cup
J
What schools..if any..have been confirmed yet?

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
As of now, we have commitments from Brookland-Cayce, Rocky Mount (NC), Swansea and are awaiting confirmation from Sumter.

Goal
Goal
You should invite RNE. This would be a good tournament for them.

World Cup
World Cup
Add Chapin to the list along with Brookland-Cayce, Rocky Mount-NC, Sumter, and Swansea. The field will feature either six teams or eight teams so space is available. E-mail Coach Kevin Heise at kevin@scsoccer.com.

C
goal
goal
C
Are people going to have to pay at the gate also?

World Cup
World Cup
I'm not sure I understand your question, "Are people going to have to pay at the gate also?" ... But, yes, there will be a tournament fee for the two-day event or you can pay per match.

C
goal
goal
C
Just wondering since I was going to have to buy an $10 t-shirt, that she will probably never wear, from the tournament, pay to enter the tournament and have to pay to get in the gate. So this will be a $30-$40 tournament per player at least.

World Cup
World Cup
Why wouldn't your daughter wear a T-Shirt from a tournament she participated in?

Why do you, as an individual, have to pay for an entry fee? Doesn't Chapin HS cover this expense? Might I suggest a fundraiser of some sort if money is tight for the team.

Tournament passes will probably cost in the neighborhood of $10 to view all matches, but you could pay per game if you wish at the gate.

Also, don't forget the concession stand, which will be open for the event.

Amazingly, things cost money like officials, paint, field maintenance, programs, etc.

C
goal
goal
C
It wouldn't bother me if you hit me at once with the fee, but I feel like I am being nickeled and dimed to death. I always have to find an ATM on the day of the games to pay for myself and my wife to go to the games, which is $20.00 for my family.

I pay for the entry fee through the $50.00 I have to cough up for Atheletic fees from the school. So I am paying for it one way or the other.

My daughter has about 500 tournament shirts over the years and her size hasn't changed in the last 6 years. So unless you have a special color or a very cool logo on it she doesn't really want it. But I HAVE to buy it no matter the product.

I understand completely that things cost money and that you ARE using this as a fundraiser. I know you aren't doing this at a zero profit. I just wish you would could up with one cost for the team and force the coach to come to us and ask for the money if need be. I am a one price type of guy and feel cheated when people try to sell me something at a lower rate just to get me in the door and then tack on extra fees after I commit to the item.

I have no problem with the concession stand because I can take it or leave it. I am not forced to buy a hot dog and drink when I walk through the gate.

T
kick off
kick off
T
CD--The Viking cup costs $300....this one(BC's) is only $250...a $50 discount...dont know about t-shirts however?

Brace
Brace
so Kyle should just change the tournament entry fee to $890?!?! With your $890 entry fee, your program receives entry into the Tournament ($350), 18 t-shirts ($180) and 2 tournament passes for each of 18 players ($360). Is that better? Everything is included in the initial price.

The only problem with this is that no program will ever look beyond the entry fee before choosing another tourney. The costs are listed and you can easily see what it will cost before attending, but that cost will scare every team away. Most likely you will be required to pay for the t-shirt ($10) and your tickets to the game. If I remember correctly, you can buy the "all game" passes for $10 or individual game tickets for like $5. So for $20-$30 plus whatever you do for meals, you get to see your daughter play 3 soccer games. I would bet that you pay $3-$5 for regular games anyway. Kevin and Kyle list all costs. It's not like you show up at the gate and have to pay an additional $30. You know there will be a charge for the games so I fail to see how that is "nickel and diming" you. There are no hidden charges with this tourney!!

I have completely enjoyed our two appearances at this tourney!! Hopefully Coach Bennage will sign us up again.

Brace
Brace
sorry, that should be $790. I had the tourney cost $100 too high.

World Cup
World Cup
Bluffton has now committed to the LBI. If two more teams are interested, then we will have an eight team field, but right now stand at six: 3A Bluffton; 3A Brookland-Cayce; 3A Chapin; Rocky Mount-NC; 4A Sumter; and 2A Swansea.

C
goal
goal
C
Jason,

When you figure 1.5 tickets per player then it comes to $700.00, which comes out to $40.00 a parent. But lets take a little closer look at the numbers. At $10 a t-shirt BC is making about $5 a shirt, so lets not give out a shirt and save $90, so now I am down to $33 a parent if they have 18 players. Coaches or Team Managers can collect that money from the parents or do a refund raiser for the entire cost.

I really have no problem with BC making money for their team by using this tournament. I think it is a great idea and support it completely. And I would have never opened my trap if it wasn't for the T-Shirt REQUIREMENT. The tickets at the gate don't bother me that much because it is still a choice. I can choose to go or not go, my choice. I personally have only missed 3 games in my daughters entire club and HS career but I do have a choice. The $250 tournament fee again is not a problem because I made the CHOICE to pay Chapin $50 for Soccer Fees that could be used by the coach for such things. But I never had a choice in the t-shirts. I will be hit up for $10 and I never had a choice, it was taken away from me. I like living in America not China, where I have some freedoms of choice. If BC sold the t-shirts at the gate for $15.00 I would probably buy one if my daughter really liked them, but at least the decision would be mine and BC would have to make sure that the t-shirts are of good quality and have something appealing about them. Which is why I support the market economy.

One last note. Kyle's response also crawled under my skin. His last sarcastic comment about how I must be to stupid to fully understand the cost of things and trying to imply that they make nothing off this tournament.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Chapindad -- Your last comment is why I don't generally respond to parents on this forum because I've often been told that I'm too direct, but, ... in your case.

Yes, this is considered a fundraiser by our athletic department and we are encouraged to host such events (LBI, Palmetto Cup, JV Preseason Tourney). However, those costs that were provided are real costs and have to be covered in order to make any profit.

The t-shirt "requirement" more or less developed about six years ago as a result of the experience of the Palmetto Cup. We would buy 200 t-shirts and have 100+ folks upset that we didn't have more to sell. Now we simply have each team purchase the 18 (as past experience indicates that most like the tourney t-shirt) and buy another 100 or so for general sale. That way we don't get "stuck" with $500 of unused/unsold t-shirts.

As for the Lady Eagles in the Lady Bearcat Invitational, Coach Rosier indicated that he wanted to attend and we welcomed Chapin. If this is not in your (or your daughters' best interest or values) then simply don't attend -- you have that choice.

Goal
Goal
Any word on weather or not RNE will participate?

S
coach
coach
S
Chapindad: I've got to ask...isn't the real problem that you feel that the T-shirt fee should be bundled into the activity fee along with all other mandatory fees for playing soccer in Chapin?

This would cause your activity fees, if $50/player, to rise to $60/player if simply added on. This would be a 20% increase for these fees, which seems much less trivial in that context. This increase would then cause your coach in Chapin to make a harder decision as to whether to participate.

goal
goal
chapindad, in my neck of the woods we call that getting owned! nice try! here's a $0.01 for your thoughts! [Big Grin]

C
goal
goal
C
Kevin,

You have given me something to think about.

Always Right,

Go back to the woods....

Later

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dad,

Dude chill out. It is ten bucks to help out a fellow soccer program. I bet you are the first to ***** and moan about the boys program at CHS getting better stuff than the girls.Well get your coach to run a "Program" and not a team and you would n't have to pay the $10. I would bet you ***** and moan about title nine. Well here is a chance to help support a local GIRLS soccer program and you complain b/c you have no CHOICE??? Sure you have a choice.....DON'T let your daughter participate in the tourney. That's a choice!! Man I cannot beleive you honestly put this up w/ what people in China deal with. What an arrogant outlook......OH what oppression....you HAVE to buy a $10 T-shirt....The constitution should be burned for that one.....Here is another choice for ya.....choose to QUIT posting so damn much and work a bit then the $10 wouldn't bother you so much!!!

Cheers mate and you wonder why people dislike girls soccer???

coach
coach
Shearer,
You have such an eloquent way with prose. You and Feno should really consider running against Dick and George W. in '08.

C
goal
goal
C
Shearer,

When you get through puberty. PM me and we can talk like adults.

Enjoy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2004 sucker,

how many times are you going to say this???

NOT FUNNY!!!! Nice try .....

Chapin Mom......Ok here is your PM........you and 2004 sucker should start your own soccer club charge nothing and win countless state titles...I mean you guys know how do EVERYTHING the right way.....so start the take over now!!!

I've got the perfect name for ya....

BEETCH SC......."Where the real b***** Play!!!!"

Cheers!!

coach
coach
'To waste one's terrible mind is a terrible waste of good ale.' ~Dan Quayle

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
" I invented the Mega Club Merger!" ~ 2004 Sucker

Goal
Goal
1. I hope your daughter doesn't read this message board. Your liking forking over 10 bucks so she can have a t-shirt from a tournament she played in to living in communist China could be detrimental to her childhood development.

2. You're probably the dad who sits on the sidelines at games and ponders deep pressing questions like "why are we here?", "why am I here?", or "why do I have to pay to be here?". Just sit on the sidelines like everyone else and yell "JUST KICK IT LADIES!!"

3. Shut up and play

J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by Shearer:
" I invented the Mega Club Merger!" ~ 2004 Sucker

..oh snap.. HA!

As for the topic: I think Chapindad is bringing up a legit concern. Do I think it's a BIG deal..no.. but it is a valid topic..just something people don't like to talk about (especially if it's compared to communism or something extreme like that.. legit concern..bad form).

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
L-E Dude, come on man. This is not a valid topic. You are talking about a guy who is complaining about 10 dollars. He claims it is the principle - that he shouldn't have to do something. Well, what's next? It is not as if the money is going to the coaches. Which is probably a more "legit" concern or valid topic - their salaries/supplements.

J
world cup
world cup
J
I'm just saying..I don't think a team should "have" to buy shirts.. I'm not talking about THIS guy.. I'm thinking more the big picture.

More so that a lot of programs can't participate in decent tourneys because of stuff like this.. and I mean.. I enjoyed every tourney I played in.. but the $10 shirt I had to buy..ended up being a rag or Salvation Army donation regardless.

I'm thinking Macroeconomics..rather than Micro

..but like I said..I don't think it's a BIG deal.. but a legit topic.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
SCISA Hilton Head Christian commits to LBI rounding out the field of 8 teams ... Others committed: 1A Academic Magnet; 3A Bluffton; 3A Brookland-Cayce; 3A Chapin; Rocky Mount-NC; 4A Sumter; and 2A Swansea.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
2005 Records

Academic Magnet - 2A #3 (16-2 / Semifinals)
Bluffton - 3A Not Ranked (First Round)
Brookland-Cayce - 3A #1 (22-4 / State Champs)
Chapin - 3A #11 (9-13 / Quarterfinals)
Hilton Head Christian - SCISA #4 (12-8 / Quarterfinals)
Rocky Mount-NC - TBA
Sumter - 4A Not Ranked (7-11-1 / First Round)
Swansea - 2A #10 (9-10 / Second Round)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any predictions on how the teams will fair in the tourney???

World Cup
World Cup
3rd Annual Lady Bearcats Invitational

Friday, March 17
Match 1 - 4:00 pm - Brookland-Cayce vs. Swansea
Match 2 - 5:30 pm - Chapin vs. Sumter
Match 3 - 7:00 pm - Academic Magnet vs. Bluffton
Match 4 - 8:30 pm - Hilton Head Christian vs. TBA

Saturday, March 18
Match 5 - 8:30 am - Loser M1 vs. Loser M3
Match 6 - 10:00 am - Loser M2 vs. Loser M4
Match 7 - 11:30 am - Winner M1 vs. Winner M3
Match 8 - 1:00 pm - Winner M2 vs. Winner M4
Match 9 - 3:00 pm - Loser M5 vs. Loser M6 -- 7th Place
Match 10 - 4:30 pm - Winner M5 vs. Winner M6 -- 5th Place
Match 11 - 6:00 pm - Loser M7 vs. Loser M8 -- 3rd Place
Match 12 - 7:30 pm - Winner M7 vs. Winner M8 -- 1st Place

[ February 27, 2006, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Heise ]

Goal
Goal
I guess RNE didn't applY???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
RNE SUCKS!!!!

Goal
Goal
Do they suck worse than some of the teams in the tournament? I think not! My only beef is really with our coach that doesn't seem to bother with things like this and cheats our girls out of good opportunities to showcase their skills and soccer team.

Goal
Goal
Why wasn't Dreher or Flora invited?

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Cola Fan - Simple! Dreher is in the same region and we're trying to avoid the possibility of playing opponents a third game (or four in the event of a tie-breaker) ... I know the obvious reply as well -- "How about Chapin?" ... Well, Chapin's head coach contacted us about the availability of participating in the tournament and we have it worked out that the only way the two could play is in a "third game" of the tournament ... Adding another region team would throw this out of kilt ... As for A.C. Flora, they had already committed to the Airport girls' tournament the same weekend. [Wink]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't believe you all let ChapinDad waste so much space on this topic...Kevin, you are fine with the T shirts...and if it is principle, he isn't paying anyway, directly...and find a real "issue" to complain about...perhaps yell at your coach? Or your Boss?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems like the match-ups should be a little more challenging...Swansea vs B-C???? Chapin vs Sumter??? It seems as though it will be Chapin and B-C in the final match.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
We tried to keep B-C and Chapin from playing due to the fact that they are in the same region as explained above.

Also, that is a student holiday in our district and our girls had to play someone "local" in the opener in order to get the games in on time for Friday.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Coach Patrick Sensiba of Rocky Mount (NC) has just informed me that they will be unable to attend the Lady Bearcat Invitational March 17-18 due to budget cuts in their district.

If any school is interested in taking their place (including their scheduled match times), please contact me ASAP at kheise@lex2.org.

goal
goal
Kevin Heise, I thought you were the boys coach. Do you also run the girls program? Seems you put as much time into their team as the boys. Very unusual.

P.S. Who the heck pulls out of a tourny this late??!!! Does this mean the fees are already paid, and a team can jump in cheap?

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Chuck -- I am the boys coach, but handle scheduling for the girls program as well as it makes it easier not to have scheduling mix-ups. We at BCHS are proud of our total soccer program and support each other in earnest.

As for the LBI tourney fee -- no it has not been paid, sorry. The tournament offers a great opportunity for a team to play some really good and diverse competition in the middle of the regular season.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Just bumping this up looking for a replacement of Rocky Mount (NC) for the LBI.

Brace
Brace
just reminding everyone to try the chili dogs at The Cage when you attend the Lady Bearcat Invitational.

Kevin, if you are unable to find a replacement, would you consider entering the B-C girls JV team like Spring Valley did to reaplace Hartsville who had to replace Dutch Fork.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Yes, we would consider this option, but would rather have another varsity squad in the tourney.

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
I was given the "green light" tonight to extend the open slot in the LBI to any team that can fill this spot in the tournament free of charge on the entry fee. The B-C athletic department will take care of the entry fee since The Cage will not be available for the matches. Also, we could work with out-of-town teams on accommodations as well. Please let me know ASAP if you are interested in playing in this tournament!

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
We still need one team to fill out the Lady Bearcat Invitational which will be played at the Pine Grove Sports Complex in West Columbia, March 17-18.

Pine Grove Athletic Complex - West Columbia, SC

Map to Pine Grove Sports Complex

Goal
Goal
Maybe RNE could play in this tourney? Have you contacted the coach?

World Cup
World Cup
Wade Hampton-H has filled the spot vacated by Rocky Mount. Coach Bao Nguyen's squad is 3-0 on the young season and ranked ninth in the Class 2A/1A Poll.

B-C welcomes the Red Devils to the Lady Bearcats Invitational!

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
LBI Information:

When: March 17-18, 2006

Where: Pine Grove Sports Complex, West Columbia (Directions above)

Who: Academic Magnet (Class 2A/1A #3); Bluffton (Class 3A, 1-3); Brookland-Cayce (Class 3A #7, 5-2); Chapin (Class 3A #10, 5-3-1); Hilton Head Christian (SCISA, 4-0); Sumter (Class 4A, 3-1); Swansea (Class 2A, 2-1); and Wade Hampton-H (Class 2A/1A #9, 4-1)

How Much: Tournament Pass $10; Individual Match $4

Extra: Canteen will be open (including chili dogs) [Wink]

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Lady Bearcat Invitational @ Pine Grove Soccer Complex -- West Columbia, SC

Friday, March 17
(M1) 4:00 pm - Brookland-Cayce vs. Swansea
(M2) 5:30 pm - Chapin vs. Sumter
(M3) 7:00 pm - Academic Magnet vs. Bluffton
(M4) 8:30 pm - Hilton Head Christian vs. Wade Hampton-H

Saturday, March 18
(M5) 8:30 am - M1 Loser vs. M3 Loser
(M6) 10:00 am - M2 Loser vs. M4 Loser
(M7) 11:30 am - M1 Winner vs. M3 Winner
(M8) 1:00 pm - M2 Winner vs. M4 Winner
(M9) 3:00 pm - M5 Loser vs. M6 Loser -- 7th Place
(M10) 4:30 pm - M5 Winner vs. M6 Winner -- 5th Place
(M11) 6:00 pm - M7 Loser vs. M8 Loser -- 3rd Place
(M12) 7:30 pm - M7 Winner vs. M8 Winner -- Championship

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Friday Results

Brookland-Cayce (6-0) Swansea
Chapin (3-0) Sumter
Academic Magnet (9-0) Bluffton
Hilton Head Christian (3-2 OT) Wade Hampton-H

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Saturday, March 18
(M5) 8:30 am - Swansea vs. Bluffton
(M6) 10:00 am - Sumter vs. Wade Hampton-H
(M7) 11:30 am - Brookland-Cayce vs. Academic Magnet
(M8) 1:00 pm - Chapin vs. Hilton Head Christian
(M9) 3:00 pm - Bluffton vs. M6 Loser -- 7th Place
(M10) 4:30 pm - Swansea vs. M6 Winner -- 5th Place
(M11) 6:00 pm - M7 Loser vs. M8 Loser -- 3rd Place
(M12) 7:30 pm - M7 Winner vs. M8 Winner -- Championship

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup
Swansea 3-2 Bluffton
Wade Hampton-H 3-2 Sumter
Brookland-Cayce 2-1 Academic Magnet
Chapin 2-0 Hilton Head Christian

3:00 pm, 7th Place -- Bluffton 2-1 Sumter
4:30 pm, 5th Place -- Swansea 3-2 Wade Hampton-H
6:00 pm, 3rd Place -- Academic Magnet 1-0 Hilton Head Christian
7:30 pm, 1st Place -- Brookland-Cayce 1-0 Chapin

[ March 19, 2006, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

World Cup
World Cup
Updated as of 5:10 p.m.

Brace
Brace
I believe Swansea beat Wade Hampton (H) 3-2 for 5th place.

Academic Magnet defeated Hilton Head Christian 1-0 for 3rd place. I would especially like to thank Lauren Eudy and Kevin Heise for their help. Brookland-Cayce once again put on a top notch tourney. There was one game in which the teams had significant warm-up time on the field b/c the tourney was ahead of schedule!! As like at The Cage, this complex had more than adequate warm-up space to allow for seamless transition of games while making sure there was no risk to players.

As always, the pizza provided by Grecian Gardens on Friday night was outstanding. Seems like true New York style to me. Chili dog analysis-- the chili was as good as always; however, the actual hot dogs at The Cage were better. I believe they are grilled at The Cage but were boiled here. Nonetheless, great chili!!

Congrats to our All-Tournament selections... Emily Farrier and Loring Ward.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard