Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#49314 10/17/05 08:42 PM
bench
bench
Certainly in the big picture, one can see the wisdom of splitting a large school district. Initially, however, won't the first few graduating classes experience academic growing pains as well as athletic ones? This is a girls soccer thread, but won't the academics be a bit lacking also? How do you suddenly find qualified, expericed AP teachers? Established academic programs, as well as athletic ones, don't suddenly appear. Those first few classes at Nation Ford may suffer all the way around, won't they?

#49315 10/17/05 09:23 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by 40's Not Old:
Certainly in the big picture, one can see the wisdom of splitting a large school district. Initially, however, won't the first few graduating classes experience academic growing pains as well as athletic ones? This is a girls soccer thread, but won't the academics be a bit lacking also? How do you suddenly find qualified, expericed AP teachers? Established academic programs, as well as athletic ones, don't suddenly appear. Those first few classes at Nation Ford may suffer all the way around, won't they?

..i think a 40 million dollar brand new facility..would probably be pretty friggin' attractive for teachers young and old.. awesome and crappy. I'd think they have a pretty decent field to pick from..

#49316 10/17/05 09:38 PM
bench
bench
L-E Dude: I think I can understand the sentiment, but realistically, teachers like any other professional, don't just suddenly up and move. Are 2 or 3 dozen qualified teachers from Lexington or Charleston going to suddenly decide to move to Fort Mill, uprooting families along the way? Unlikely. Pay for teachers is not great anywhere, and moving is expensive, let alone a tremendous stress upon all involved.

#49317 10/18/05 12:31 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Yeah.. you're right. If I were a graduate from one of the handful of universities in Charlotte/southern NC, or a teacher in the 35th largest city in the country.. I probably wouldn't look at a brand new 40mil facility to start a career.. and yeah..moving less than 30 minutes away would probably be singlehandedly responsible for the deterioration of the fabric of this nation..and family structure in general.

Seriously.. what point are you trying to make? A new school that isn't over crowded..is bad for academics.. right.. I say.. suck it up.. how about the schools out there in the middle of no where that have a tiny fraction of the resources these people are debating.

How about a little objective perspective...

Edit: ..nobody teaches public school for the pay.. I hate to break it to you.. not even at Fort Mill..so let's just drop that.

#49318 10/18/05 01:13 AM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Why will they necessarily need all of these new teachers? They are not adding any students to the population of the district. The lines of the district are not being redrawn. There is a new school being built that will only draw from the only high school in the district currently. It is essentially breaking a 4A school up and producing what will probably turn out to be 2 3A schools. Thats the way I see it. so that means with FMHS reducing its enrollment, there will be a surplus of teachers who will go to the new high school.

So realistically, the AP program should not get much bigger than it currently is at FMHS. Thus there would not be a shortage of 2 or 3 dozen teachers. Yes, the district will have to hire some new teachers to help, but not as many as you think.

#49319 10/18/05 02:13 AM
bench
bench
Thoughtful (mostly) points, but I still think it will take a larger number of qualified teachers than you think. You're not merely splitting up programs, you're attempting to duplicate programs at a second school. For instance, if you have 12 AP course offerings, and each course has only one class, in order to duplicate that at the new school you will need 12 new AP teachers.
L-E [Smile] looking over the trusty atlas, a 30 minute drive from Fort Mill brings us to the academic powerhouses of Chester and Lancaster...
And "suck it up"? Should the folks who moved to Fort Mill for the schools feel badly because their current system outranks most others in the state? That's one of the reasons so any people have moved there.
Besides...we haven't even debated the impact that this could have on their girls soccer program...

#49320 10/18/05 04:21 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Thoughtful (mostly) points, but I still think it will take a larger number of qualified teachers than you think. You're not merely splitting up programs, you're attempting to duplicate programs at a second school. For instance, if you have 12 AP course offerings, and each course has only one class, in order to duplicate that at the new school you will need 12 new AP teachers.

I think you underestimate the appeal of the area. It's obviously attractive/growing..if they're having to build a new school. If not..i'm not sure what point you're trying to make.. are you just trying to be difficult?

Ya know..I'm sure when DF split from Irmo..people thought the academics would suffer..for the very same reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong..but aren't both schools amongst the best in the state academically.

quote:
L-E [Smile] looking over the trusty atlas, a 30 minute drive from Fort Mill brings us to the academic powerhouses of Chester and Lancaster...

?? When did I say anything about Chester or Lancaster? FM is 30 minutes South of Charlotte (thought I made it clear that's what I was talking about)

quote:

And "suck it up"? Should the folks who moved to Fort Mill for the schools feel badly because their current system outranks most others in the state? That's one of the reasons so any people have moved there.
Besides...we haven't even debated the impact that this could have on their girls soccer program...

Am I missing the part where you said something substantial?

As for the girls soccer programs. They'll both struggle..then be awesome again due souly to their proximity to Charlotte. ..big whoop. Same point as DF/Irmo academically.. something tells me they'll be fine atheletically.

#49321 10/18/05 02:04 PM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
my point was that there are probably very good/quality teachers who are not teaching AP that will be able to now because they are producing another AP program. I know at the schools i have been at, there have been more than one or two history teachers (for example) that were having to wait their "turn" in order to teach AP. If FMHS is as good as people say, then there should be a few quality teachers that can definitely fill the role that you claim will be missing.

#49322 10/18/05 06:40 PM
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Hurst, thanks for giving me a run down of the accomplishments of all of the programs at Fort Mill. Now I see where the soccer program ranks!

#49323 10/18/05 06:51 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
pr,

It ranks dead last in attention from the administration.....just like it does in most SC high schools.

;>)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard