Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#49324 10/18/05 07:53 PM
F
kick off
kick off
F
Soccerboy
What I was saying is that some kids may only go to college with a scholarship - sports or academically. It may not be a full scholarship but every little bit counts. As for colleges looking at high school play you are dead wrong! Every college that my daughter sent a sports resume has asked for both club and high school schedules. There are several high school tournaments (soccer) that are attended by college scouts because there are so many teams that can be seen at one place. Also, if the colleges are in the areas they are there. But you are right if you want to be seen by a lot of colleges out of the area then it is club tournaments, ODP and Super Y ODP.

#49325 10/19/05 06:15 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
I agree with you FMFAN...I don't think I said that no college scouts come to high school games. It is up to the high school coach to promote the player, and the player to promote themselves to get the scouts out to the high school games.

Now on to the other topic of teachers and a new school. I have to agree with LE Dude with a few points. I am a project manager that is back in school to finish my education degree. At least in the north, there are way too many teachers for the teaching positions in the classroom. There have been hundreds of lay-offs up here, and there are plenty of teachers. I know in SC they are looking for teachers, but better pay, and working in a new school are huge things to look at. So what about AP classes. They are absolutley no harder to teach than normal classes. There may be different material to cover, but all teaching is basically the same. You have something that you need the kids to learn.....you find a way that works best for all the students to learn the material.....you teach it to them.....you move on to the next topic. There are certain things on the AP exam that need to be covered, so cover them in an effective way, and get the kids to learn. I am sure that there will be plenty of teachers to fill the classrooms when the new school opens. There are a lot of new teachers that need jobs. Even new teachers can be a very efficitve teacher. Most new teachers actually care about getting tenure and try very hard. I have spent a lot of time in the classroom, and have noticed the older teachers that are comfortable with their teaching styles tend to be the teachers that are not the best in quality and quantity learned in the classroom. The ones that are always looking at new techniques, new technology, and new ideas are the ones that keep finding better and better ways of improving their teaching quality. I just think that there will not be a huge hole to fill when the new high school opens. Sorry for getting on my soap box.....just my opinion.

#49326 10/19/05 06:37 PM
P
goal kick
goal kick
P
Soccerboy, I was wondering if you have thoughts of becoming a coach once that degree is completed? Shouldn't be a problem making the transition from official to coach with how easily you have gone from project manager to teacher. You really have to figured out!

#49327 10/19/05 06:38 PM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
Hurst,

As far as girls are concerned HHHS did get almost all of the players. Only one player came to Bluffton and she graduated. We knew the girls' were going to be a building process that will take awhile but with a new coach who is committed they are heading in the right direction. Still B-Town is volleyball and softball territory as far as girls are concerned.

Regarding numbers, it is possible the Bluffton could be AAAA by the next realignment but the district is coming up with ways to relieve over crowding such as sending some Bluffton students back to Hilton Head. Plus, they are talking about making all high schools magnet schools which could lead to an "athlete grab" as I have seen in other places with a similar system (Orlando).

#49328 10/19/05 06:49 PM
J
goal kick
goal kick
J
Hurst,

One more thing, I know you look at girls soccer but on the boys side both Hilton Head and Bluffton won their respective regions and were ranked in the top 15 in their classifications at season's end. One person who saw both teams play last year mused at what could have happened if the split was held off one more year. Yet, both teams had great seasons.

For the record, Bluffton boys only got 3 players from the AAAA final four team of 2004.

#49329 10/19/05 07:31 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
prettyricky...you lost me a bit on that last post...I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or if you are being serious. I don't want to coach soccer. I feel that I don't know enough on how to develop the players. I would have to do some serious study into how to best develop players. I want to coach baseball...that is my favorite sport by far!

#49330 10/19/05 10:23 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by Soccerboy:
I want to coach baseball...that is my favorite sport by far!

One of your many tragic flaws my byronic friend..

#49331 10/20/05 12:20 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Many is the key word!

#49332 10/21/05 04:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered