York's Zamora signs

By Barry Byers The Herald
(Published November 11‚ 2005)

YORK -- Eliana Zamora started playing soccer when she was growing up in Costa Rica.
When her family moved to the United States when she was 10 years old, Zamora was delighted to find there were youth soccer leagues for girls. Zamora kept playing and when she was old enough, joined the team at York Comprehensive High School.

Her love and dedication for the game paid off. Thursday before school, Zamora signed a scholarship to continue her education and soccer career at Spartanburg's Converse College.

"The school has been talking to me since last spring, so I knew they were interested,'' said Zamora, daughter of Dale and Clara Zamora. "I went over for a visit and really liked the campus, the coach and the players.

"I played against two girls who will be my teammates. One played at Northwestern and the other at Rock Hill. I'm very excited about playing on the same team with them. But every player I met there was friendly. They made me feel like I was already part of the team.''

Zamora will be playing for a new coach, Shannon Roslie, who recently took over the program. Zamora scored 10 goals last season for the Lady Cougars.

Roslie called Zamora last month and offered her a scholarship. That's all it took.

Zamora said Roslie told her playing time will be there when she gets to school, and that she has a chance to come in and start right away.

"I'm really happy about this opportunity,'' Zamora said. "I have one more season of high school soccer, but I wish I could leave right now and play in college."

Zamora plans to major in law.