Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#49672 02/20/06 12:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To some of you, having Coach Bo dismissed from coaching may sound like the most suitable punishment, however if I may say, I disagree. First of all, Coach Bo has changed women's soccer at Dutch Fork... for the better. Should he be removed, things would just get worse. Coach Bo has been fined and suspended from any contact REGARDING SOCCER with players or coaches until March 1st. Yes, maybe "he should have known better" , but for goodness sakes he loves every single one of his players as if they were his own children... why would he ever INTENTIONALLY try to disrupt our season in any way? He wouldn't, and what he did wasn't an attempt to break rules or jump ahead of other teams.

To those of you who think the punishment DOES fit the crime... here's my two cents on that: The Taco Bell Viking Cup (which is now over) is a tournament in which college coaches come to watch the girls play. Well let's see... we have about 6 juniors, some of which are hoping to play in college. Yeah, we have club seasons but HIGH SCHOOL is also extremely important in the recruiting process. Take away exposure to college coaches. Problem number one. State play-offs is the next thing taken away. You tell me what college coach REALLY wants to come watch a team play who has been put on probation and can't even go to play-offs. Not too many. The girls didn't know they were breaking a rule. We are ethical people... had we known consequences of such severity would occur, do you THINK that any of us would have paid $30 to screw up our season? OF COURSE NOT!

1.) On top of Coach Bo's punishment, he is hurting because he knows how badly the situation has affected us as players. Give him a break! He's dealt with enough already. And I'm sure having to read half of your comments just intensifies his pain.
2.) The punishment DOES NOT fit the crime. Understand that it wasn't intentional. I agree action should be taken against the person/s involved because otherwise, rules would be ineffective and pointless. Just make the punishment TRULY fit the crime.

We aren't just a group of girls who play soccer together on a High School team. We're like a family. I think the soccer troubles helped us all come closer together. We are coping with everything and will prove to everyone who thinks we can't overcome this how incredibly wrong they are. To everyone who supports us and is cheering us on... thank you. You have no idea how much your support is appreciated.

God forgives, why shouldnt we?

#49673 02/20/06 02:13 AM
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
the irritant here is the coach is the one responsible for knowing the rules and the rules haven't changed on start dates in a long time. History has showed us over and over again that sports organizations "leaders" regardless of level believe (wrongly) teams have to be taken out of contention for these violations reagrdless of how they happen.

Look at the number of college football and basketball teams that get suspended from post season years after violation occurs.

Personally, I'm not sure that players should be penalized for this one. I'd have required the coach to donate have his stipend for the season to setting up a rules clininc at next years winter meeting and subsequently with the players at his school, forced him to sit out the first ten games of the season, and put him on probation for three years.

Having lived through the silliness of NCAA recruiting after four years of the "league" I think it is preposterous and pompous of the high school league and beyond to have an expecation that players will know all the administrative "quirks" yet make no effort or provision what so ever to make the information available to them. There is just some cosmic osmotic process out there by which all this rules knowlege becomes resdient in the brains of players.

Perhaps the start date should be one day earlier henceforth, with day one be classroom instructions on admistrative rules.

#49674 02/20/06 11:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quit calling him coach bo

#49675 02/20/06 11:57 PM
Goal
Goal
I remember traveling to Hilton Head during the AAA-AA-A playoffs in the early 1990s and seeing all those bumper stickers of "Bo Knows Soccer". I understand why now!

Hard to penalize someone 165 miles away from the S.C. High School League! Didn't he coach somewhere up in North Carolina? Wonder what they say about his tenure?

#49676 02/21/06 12:47 AM
goal kick
goal kick
Every coach in South Carolina has to attend a rules clinic before the season starts. Usually it is held well before the day training can start and that date is given to each and every coach. So I think yes he knew the rules and made decided to go ahead and have the clinic.

I hate that it has hurt the players but he should have known that he was not living up to the standard and rules that govern soccer in South Carolina.

#49677 02/21/06 03:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Only reason i call him Coach Bo is because that's what everyone he knows calls him... that's his name... i'm his player and that's what i call him... just clearing it up.. [Smile]

#49678 02/21/06 03:16 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Ignore Keyser, 13. We all do.

#49679 02/21/06 03:45 AM
goal
goal
Coach Bo, does this guy drive a cool orange car with a flag on top? Coach Bo, sounds pretty hick. No wonder the rules were unclear.

#49680 02/21/06 04:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
William Aiken good name for Brokeback Mountain's biggest fan.

#49681 02/21/06 12:04 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Yuk, yuk, yuk!

Duh-huhhhhh, that was a good one!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard