#50023 03/05/06 06:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Talon,

how about some basic reffing. Inadvertent "handball" probably should be ignored. Same for "bad throw". Do you know what a "bad throw" is? Or just that all of you experts up in the stands when they are not insulting refs are letting everyone know that "THEY" know that was a high kick, offsides, bad throw and should be a card.

That line about about getting paid to make calls is correct.

#50024 03/06/06 02:07 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
From the 2005-2006 NFHS Soccer Rules Book, Rule 12, Section 2 Handling, Art. 1:
"A player shall be penalized for deliberately handling, carrying, striking or propelling the ball with hand or arm."

Unless it is deliberate, it is not a handling foul.

#50025 03/06/06 03:37 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
The line about getting paid to make calls is indeed correct...I'd like to believe, though, that most referees aren't so indifferent about whether the calls they make are indeed the right ones. There is no other single person on the field who has as much individual influence on the outcome of a game as a referee, and I think it's a role most officials take seriously. Of course, referees are individuals, after all, and they tend to vary as any selection of individuals would.

That said, the type of officiating is just one of many uncontrollable variables that can affect any given game, just like the weather, injuries, illness, or your starting keeper taking a family trip to Colorado on a game night. One of the first things I try to teach my players is to keep their heads and play their best game no matter how the calls are coming (or not coming), and for heaven's sake, don't stop what you're doing and wait for what YOU think should be an obvious call.

Maybe one day soccer matches will be officiated by computerized cyber-officials who are all programmed to agree completely on when a player is offsides, when to call the foul or play advantage, and where the line is between going hard for the ball and "persistent infringement." (Those last two, I'll admit, are pet peeves of mine...) But until then, I actually appreciate shaking the hands of the officials before a game and knowing that, the vast majority of the time, there are human beings out there on the field who may not be any more perfect than the rest of us, but are doing their best to make sure everyone gets the fair shake they need to make the game worth playing. For all of you out there who fit that description, thanks...your efforts are appreciated.

#50026 03/06/06 03:47 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Oh, and for those who were wondering, we do try to use the three-man system here; unfortunately, as some of you suspected, we often end up playing two-man games simply because there aren't enough officials to go around. So...any of you who are genuinely concerned for the purity of the game and have time to spend, by all means, take the class, suit up, and grab a whistle!

#50027 03/06/06 03:58 AM
K
throw in
throw in
K
Thanks Coach; flying out Thursday morning [Wink]

I have to agree... the officials on the field aren't perfect and won't always be able to make a perfect call. While refs can be an influence on the outcome of a given game, we can't exactly 'control' them so you've just got to live with that fact.

Refs can and will make mistakes but I don't think they are out there deliberately trying to sway a game one way or another. It's not about bad officiating or under-qualified officials (though I won't say there isn’t a handful of those out there) but about basic human nature -People make mistakes. Refs can only make half the people happy, half the time. We can't just decide that the officiating is getting worse and worse every time we see a bad call.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard