Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Unfortunately, none are from South Carolina:

Lady Eagles Soccer Inks Five

ROCK HILL, SC–Winthrop women’s soccer head coach Melissa Heinz announced the signing of four incoming players to National Letters of Intent, committing to play for the Eagles. The incoming 2007 class includes two forwards, a midfielder and two defenders.

Catherine Cassady, a 5’9 defender, was a First-Team All-State selection out of Brentsville High School in Woodbridge, Va. Cassady scored 71 career goals and was named two-time All-County, All-Area and Washington Post All-Met team, as well as the 2005 Northwest District Player of the Year and Regional Runner-Up.

“Caly will be a tremendous addition to our program and school,” Heinz said. “She is strong in her academics as well as athletics, and one of the most gifted players I have seen play in recent years. She has all the tools you look for in a defender –she handles the ball well under pressure, communicates well and has the confidence to attack out of the back. I look forward to having Caly, with her personality and determination, as a part of this team.”

Serving as her high school team’s captain from 2004-05, Cassady also played club soccer, spending time in the Super Y League as a member of the NOVA Jr. Majestics and as a member of the Washington area girls soccer club U-18 team.

“As I visited each school, I liked them all,” Cassady said. “But from the minutes I met Coach Heinz and the rest of the team, I knew this was the perfect fit for me. I love the campus atmosphere, and the facilities are the best. It fit the perfect picture of how I wanted college and the soccer program to look. I am so excited about being a part of Winthrop women’s soccer.”

Jessica Hausfel, a 5’3 forward/midfielder from Toledo, OH, was named First-Team All-District, First-Team All-League and Best Offensive Player of the Year, while talling 32 career goals at Southview High School.

“Jessica was recruited for her abilities on the ball,” Heinz said. “She has the capability of being very crafty and drives forward to get to goal, and I like that. Jessica will do a great job attacking for our team, and she compliments the offensive core of our team right now. I believe Jessica will compete for a starting position as a forward.”

Hausfeld also played as a member of the Pacesetter club soccer team.

“I choose Winthrop because Coach Heinz and the rest of the team made me feel comfortable and welcomed immediately,” Hausfeld said. “I was impressed with the campus atmosphere and the warmer temperatures!”

Katie Schraudenbach, a 5’8 midfielder from Duluth, GA, was a two-time Midfield Most Valuable Player and the team Most Valuable Player her junior season at Duluth High School. After being named to the Atlanta Journal Constitution’s All-County honorable mention team as a freshman, when she was the second leading scorer, she was named to the newspaper’s First-Team as a junior.

“Katie is a player that is mentally strong,” Heinz said. “Her play on the field is composed and relaxed. Katie is always working on and off the ball; she gives the team 100% effort all the time. She will give Winthrop’s women’s soccer team more poise and composure in the middle. I have confidence that she will contribute in the beginning.”

As a member of her club team, Schraudenbach served as a three-time captain and traveled with a College Experience club team on a European tour.

“This fall, my team traveled around playing different college teams and visiting the schools’ campuses,” Schraudenbach said. “Winthrop was the only school that stood out as soon as we pulled in. I loved the campus, and the complex was amazing. From the beginning, I knew it was somewhere I wanted to be. I’ve always wanted to play college soccer, and I hope to bring a lot to Winthrop next year.”

Dianne Abel, a 5’3 forward from Okinawa, Japan, is a three-time All-Far East selection, and as a two-time Far East MVP lead her team to two championships. The Stars & Stripes Female Athlete of the Year, Abel scored 112 goals in three seasons at Kadena High School.

“Dianne is an all-around athlete,” Heinz said. “She played basketball and soccer and ran cross country at the varsity level. Her abilities in soccer show her athleticism and determination through hard work. Dianne is very well mannered and disciplined, probably from living on a military base with her family in Okinawa. Dianne has quick feet, speed, endurance and a strong leg, and she will challenge our players at Winthrop. Her stats show she has the capability to score and assist, and I look for great things from her.”

After leading the Pacific region in scoring during the 2004 and 2005 seasons, Abel was the first junior to surpass 100 career goals.

“I chose Winthrop for a couple of reasons,” Abel said. “The campus was beautiful and when I came to soccer camp in the summer of 2005, I enjoyed playing with the team and Coach Heinz and Coach Hogan.”

Nicole Cowart, a 5’3 defender from Bunnell, FL, was named Daytona Beach News JournalAll-Area First-Team and All-County Second-Team. Selected to the King of Queens Cup Tourney First-Team, Cowart was selected the Defensive MVP.

A three-time letterwinner at Flagler Palm Coast High School, Cowart’s team was district champions her freshman and sophomore seasons.

C
goal
goal
C
How do you go from Japan to Winthrop? Don't get me wrong, Winthrop is a great school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Winthrop recruited a girl last year, who lived in Japan. I believe her dad was in the military. Perhaps there was a connection there...

C
goal
goal
C
That would make a lot of sense. Thanks

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
take a look at the rosters around the state and ask yourself how you get from SC from Finland, Norway, Scotland, Korea, Great Britan, etc. International recruiting brokers are in this all the time.

C
goal
goal
C
European countries I can see more because we are on the east coast. But Asian players in SC is always interesting, especially since we have such a small asian community. Finding the simpliest of true asain foods in the southeat outside of Atlanta is difficult to say the least.

S
coach
coach
S
No comments about the lack of SC women players being signed at Winthrop?

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
You should be glad she did not recruit any players from South Carolina. She is clueless. I would doubt if she saw half of the recruits play. Be thankfull.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
You should be glad she did not recruit any players from South Carolina. She is clueless. I would doubt if she saw half of the recruits play. Be thankfull.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Maybe there should be state legislation that 50% of state college players must come from that state! Ha..Ha

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hurst what happened.....how does thast happen???

NO SC? Two of their top preformers have been SC kids.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Here's the current "Japanese" girl on the roster. She may be a fan of sushi but she probably doesn't need too much more Asian culture in order to feel at home.

http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=17&type=player&id=639

C
goal
goal
C
Hurst,

I would have to go with a military brat on that one. Is that the same for the other player? The connection must be very close. Both have english names and from Okinawa, Japan.\

Chico,

I have learned from you that all SC players, except CESA players, stink including my daughter and none deserve to play college ball. So no comment.

Later

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Chapindad, I knew you would make the Okinawa connection. What I want to know is how come none of our Fort Jackson girls ever get recruited to play in Tokyo?

C
goal
goal
C
I blame it on the bad economy.....

S
coach
coach
S
Chapindad: Please don't be bitter...but if you must be bitter, please don't attribute things to me that I didn't say. You said the Smiths at USC were biased against SC players; I quantitatively showed you that they were not at least in relation to all other SC colleges. Now that the Smiths have so far recruited more SC players than anyone else that has announced, you should be happy with the Smiths/USC, right?

By the way, I also showed you quantitatively that there is relatively strong recruiting from the upstate and the lower state but not as strong a recruiting from the midstate. This isn't a criticism of any player; it's simply a measurable fact. But you guys are fixing that with CUFC. And you won the SCYSA decision. So why the bitterness?

Finally, I think your daughter is a very good player and have enjoyed watching her for years. I thought she was very good in the scrimmage the other night.

C
goal
goal
C
Chico. I try not to be bitter. I am so glad you where able to point that out because I must ave missed that somewhere. I will try and do better, so that I can meet your approval. It is so important to me.

I know I have given praise to USC and other programs that do recruit SC players. I posted a message last year about USC recruiting several SC players but then I was disapppointed when so many players left the program the following year.

For the record I stayed way away from your rants on the other forums and even made a slight joke with you the other day. And then you attacked me first in this forum. Maybe I am not the one that is bitter. Look to yourself and find inner peace...

S
coach
coach
S
Chapindad: I honestly didn't mean to attack you. I'm sorry if you perceive that I did. My request for comments concerning the lack of SC players going to Winthrop was honestly meant to be a general one (actually, a question soliciting comments to the first line of the Hurst66 post that started the thread) and not to attack you at all.

Goal
Goal
I do wonder why more SC players don't get a shot at the in-state schools. It seems that it would be in their best interest to find as many SC players that can play at that level as possible. I guess when they don't recruit SC players it just says that SC players cannot play on a regional or national level. That's sad, considering all the camps and such that the college teams push in this state!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard