Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
The All-State softball pitcher didn't want to run. How do you handle this?

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/sports/story/5573907p-5014435c.html

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I handle it in terms of excused absences versus unexcused absences. A funeral would be an excused absence in my book; therfore, punishment would be minimal if at all. School functions, sickness with doctor's note, and deaths in the family are all excuseable and should be dealt with differently. Unexcused absences are a different matter and punishment will be very demanding and tough. This is how absences are handled with my team.

goal
goal
I agree kickman. Also while it is not just punishment, it is a makeup. Just like when you miss a day of class you have to make up the work. Well when you miss practice, for whatever reason(and 3 days for a funeral, come on), you need to make up the work. No matter the reason, the work has to be done and like you said, I am glad the coach stuck to his guns, even though it looks as if the player has already signed a may learn nothing from it. After reading the article, She sounds like she thinks she is too good for the high school team, if this is true, it is someone you don't want around, they can be cancerous.

goal
goal
Can only mean I am correct again, and well, you, your just an ......

World Cup
World Cup
Sigh...

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I found it interesting that the Charlotte Observer would pick up on this story:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14339711.htm

World Cup
World Cup
"It wasn't hard to quit..."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the girl should definately have to make up the running no matter how good she is!!!

F
bench
bench
F
Based on(the always dangerous) little knowledge, I think there is more to this story. Perhaps that is why the Observer took a peek.
Unfortunately, there have other talented players in a few FM sports who have left their teams during the season, and some other very athletic kids who would not even "go out". I wonder if that is unique to FM, or if other schools experience it???

World Cup
World Cup
Some kids have been pampered and don't get the "star" treatment so they don't play. I blame weak parenting in part. Teach kids to be humble...and be humble yourself.

T
bench
bench
T
Did I really read that the girl was asked to run approximately 5.8 miles per practice missed due to being at a funeral? I'm sorry, that's excessive and ridiculous. I'm glad the girl didn't put up with it. It seems pretty clear that she didn't need the high school team to acheive her goals as a player. I wish more athletes would stand up to people who think that the sun rises and sets around high school sports. It really doesn't.

World Cup
World Cup
They didn't get the coach's version of the story (his/her own fault I imagine). I see it difficult that a coach would make the student-athlete run 5.8 for a practice missed. I really hope that is wrong.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[William Aiken] Some kids have been pampered and don't get the "star" treatment so they don't play. I blame weak parenting in part. Teach kids to be humble...and be humble yourself.<<

I actually agree with you: more kids need to be taught humility and more parents need to practice it. However...just so that we cover both sides...

I was recently talking to some folks about the recent NCAA Division I board ruling that stated that their varsity college teams couldn't play clubs anymore. What they told me was that it was high school athletic directors that pushed this (you can also see this in writing over at the Texas A&M web site.) The high school athletic directors said that they were tired of players opting not to play high school and instead playing elsewhere in the spring -- so I guess their thinking was "...we'll take away their other option." Not terribly long-term thinking of course -- by next spring there will almost certainly be other attractive options.

The problem with almost all of the kids I know who opted to play/train elsewhere in the spring (and I know of at least a half dozen future D1/D2 level players) wasn't rooted in a choice to "only play colleges", it was because they were convinced that they wouldn't become better players continuing to play for their high schools. I've heard a lot of talk from kids about scoring almost at will against these weaker opponents and it not helping them at all in terms of their objectives to move on to the next level.

In short, I think that in general there are two issues: (1) players and parents do need to be more humble and (2) high schools and high school leagues need to try to figure out ways to improve the quality of the experience.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Chico,

Good thoughts above. I would hate to see players (especially girls) opt out of high school soccer. I think the girls really enjoy the shared experience with classmates and the opportunity to represent their school.

Your point regarding improving the experience is very important. I see two areas that need to be addressed immediately:

1. AD's need to actively recruit better high school coaches so that no player gets stuck with a coach that "doesn't know jack about coaching soccer".
2. As football has created the "Big 16", soccer needs to do so as well. Kids in "hot soccer markets" are not being challenged with many regional games that end double-digit to nothing.

World Cup
World Cup
Hey, 7-0 against AU isn't exactly making anyone better either!

World Cup
World Cup
I have loved the idea of leagues set up based on the talent level available. Kyle and Kevin had a nice set up for the boys with four or five divisions based on winning %'s over the past 4 years or so. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a Upper, Mid, and Lower state league set up with two/three divisions based on competitiveness? It'll never happen, but I'll propose some teams from each area. Lets say top 17 programs since only 16 regular season games are allowed. Be back in a minute as I venture almost completely off topic...

S
coach
coach
S
>> [William Aiken] Hey, 7-0 against AU isn't exactly making anyone better either!<<

My guess [and it's only a guess] is that you're talking about a CESA pool game. The reason I'm guessing is that scores aren't readily available to anyone outside of the people who were actually there [at least not to me!]

Several things to note -- I hope non-defensively. First, there were actually two pool games scheduled at about the same time that day -- one against AU and one against a series of teams at Winthrop. Remember -- a ton of kids participate in this and it's not "team-based." The players selected for AU tended toward younger players. Secondly, my guess [and it's only a guess] is that given the level of players participating, that there's a valid theory that it is a higher level of competition -- particularly for kids playing at less competitive schools. Finally, I know that whatever the result I appreciate AU agreeing to play -- and remember, a lot of times these college teams have lots of players who aren't able to play [seniors, trips, injuries, etc.]

I spent Easter weekend in West Virginia; Marshall hosted some games between a CESA pool and Marshall [and the University of Charleston]. The pool selected was very diverse in terms of age and skill. The games were competitive, Marshall was a great host, and I'm sure it was a thrill for the players to play in a 30K+ seat stadium.

I guess I don't like very much the "either/or" model some folks have -- it seems to me that the more kids we can have playing soccer, and the more we can let them play if they want to, the better off we are. I hate it when kids decide not to play high school. I just think it's almost always self-defeating behavior to try to limit choice to force someone to make the choice you want them to make. [Note: I don't think that's at all what you're suggesting.]

S
coach
coach
S
Hurst66: I think both are superb ideas.

World Cup
World Cup
Which player has signed with Marshall? I heard he said "Ladies, if you play for Marshall, we leave Thursday night and fly to every game." After several dozen cramped bus rides in my college career, this would be heaven.

Still working on the new divisions that nobody but myself will care about.

corner kick
corner kick
Hey Hurst...you are dead on about recruiting high school coaches that know about soccer. They should have to be licensed before they are allowed to coach in High school.

corner kick
corner kick
No...not stricter but better

S
coach
coach
S
Which players? Let's see -- a year ago I know Ali Lizzotte (CESA, Spring Valley) signed -- she looked wonderful as a central defender and in my opinion was clearly the best defender Marshall had. Kate Heilich signed a few years ago (CESA(GFC)/Dreher). Megan Whetzel (CESA/used to be Aiken) has signed this year -- she looked great all over the field.

I heard a few girls are very interested next year.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
From the Marshall website:

April 13, 2006

HUNTINGTON, W.Va.- Marshall women's soccer will play a home spring match on Sunday at 10 a.m. against CESA of South Carolina. The match is schedule to take place on Sam Hood Field.

Marshall is no stranger to CESA, Carolina Elite Soccer Academy of South Carolina. CESA is the former club team of current Marshall player Ali Lizotte (Eglin, S.C) and incoming freshman Meghan Wetzel (Aiken, S.C) currently plays for the team.

CESA will play Charleston on Saturday at 7 p.m. on Sam Hood Field.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard