Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JIMBO Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
J
How are schools ranked? I noticed that Emerald is still ranked 4 after defeating Myrtle Beach (3A ranked 4) and AC Flora (3A ranked 7) this weekend. (Both games were won in PKs). Academic Magnet lost to Myrtle Breach 0-3 and Waccamaw also lost to Myrtle Beach 1-2. These 2A schools are ranked 3 and 2. I was just wondering why Emerald might not be ranked higher at this point?

L
lwt Offline
bench
bench
L
the rankings from week to week are obviously done ignoring any consistent concept of logic or fairness. in the 3a, greenville girls dropped from 3 to 8 from last week to this and never lost a game during the week ( winning both by some average # of 7-8 goals ). at the end of the day, the rankings are meaningless since they have no application to seedings etc, but the fun of viewing week to week rankings will leave one perplexed

world cup
world cup
Emerald should be sourcing their 0-0 Viking Cup match with Top 10 4A Hilton Head. Although they lost on PK's, this was one of their best results.

J
JIMBO Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
J
Hurst66
Good point. Bishop England who is ranked #1 in 2A lost to Hilton Head in a scrimmage 0-2.

Does anyone know who ranks the teams and what it is based on?

brace
brace
Please consider that the ranking DOES impact seeding in AA! Unlike the other classifications. It is far too important and far too inconsistent since that is the case. In AAAA and AAA, the rankings are merely intersting. In AA/A it determines the seedings and can make a HUGE impact on who you play. Last season the final "opinions" about Woodruff, Emerald, and Christ CHurch determined which two had to play each other to get to the third for upper state. THAT is a huge issue—and one that is not handled very well from year to year. Too often ranking is influenced by the taditional view of a school and not the quality of play that particular year. Some elite schools have received favorable rankings year in and out regardless of who is on the field.

L
lwt Offline
bench
bench
L
my apologies regarding the lack of application in 2a as i live only in the 3a world, but my comments remain applicable. seems to us the midlands teams receive an overdose of credit in the rankings. in sum, i would love to have someone tell us how they are done ( i know how they are done in football, basketball and baseball , but have concluded the soccer rankings have an unorthodox bent to them )

brace
brace
I understand that most in AAA and AAAA aren't aware of the impact of rankings on AA/A—no problem. There is a group of coaches (and others?) who do this ranking—the Soccer Coaches Assoc? But they have to go by stats, etc—I doubt that these coaches can see many matches 9other than their own). Thus the tendency to go by tradition and word of mouth. Thus they are unbalanced.

World Cup
World Cup
This has been brought up before. Now, you can stand alone by offering a reasonable solution that all can agree on. Proceed.

World Cup
World Cup
I don't mind this question -- I would ask too! This is addressed every year it seems, so here you go!

How the rankings are derived!

J
JIMBO Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
J
Kyle Heise
Thanks for the information. Would you minding sharing with us why Emerald and Woodruff are ranked 4 and 5 in 2A?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard