Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#50545 03/21/06 08:34 PM
The Fan Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Just as a discussion starter: Is it really necessary to shake hands after a game and label it under the guise of "good sportsmanship"? It seems as though the forced ritual of shaking hands is not a sign of sportsmanship when players just go through the line and say, "Ga game" (should be "good" but it is said so fast that it comes out "ga"). The looks on their faces aren't ones of good sportsmanship unless they win either and the way it is said leaves much to be desired. I've always told my players that the way you play and treat the other players, coaches, and ref, on the field is more of a sign of good sportsmanship than forcing a line of players that are tired to utter a gutteral sound and call that good sportsmanship. Just putting it out there and seeing what people think.

J
world cup
world cup
J
If sports were only about the game..then I would agree with you. But they are not.

If anything the post-game "shake" should be stressed more. In the end..it is just a game..and despite all the energy and emotion that has just been spent..both teams are there for the same reason..because they love the game. Professionals do it..and they're getting payed to play. The "ritual" is a sign of respect to the other team..and yourself for the EFFORT that is competition.

Irmo/Wando(may have been NW..i'm getting old) State Championship a few years ago is the perfect example of this. While I was disappointed in those Irmo guys that didn't receive their metal and shake hands.. I was extremely impressed with those that did.

This "routine" has great value in my opinion.

coach
coach
LEdudeman,
For once I agree with a thought of yours. But I will never forgive you for your biased, pretentious, ostentatious display of ineptitude with the PLC pre-season rankings.

thefan,
Please read:
http://www.thejournalnews.com/scenes/010505.htm

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Call me old fashion,and I do understand the statement, but I want my team to shake hands. I preach all the time. "win with class" "lose with dignity"
Over the years we have heart breaking defeats, and maybe heated games, but it is just a game and life goes on. You don't like losing, but it is a part of life and life goes on.
I enjoyed the heated matches we had with Summerville (With Coach Pelton/Coach Brady) Wando (Coach Reilly), but we were always, win or lose, able to shake hands after the game. I think it is the coaches job to set the example.
Just my thoughts,

Brace
Brace
well, i agree that forcing players (especially high school players) to line up is a bit ridiculous.

Instead, let players informally shake hands after the game. I think not shaking hands after a game shows disrespect to the opponent and more importantly, the game itself.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I for one would hate to see the post-game handshake lost from the sport. It is a very tangible sign of sportsmanship, and the way players conduct themselves toward each other during this says a lot about the values that have been instilled in them. I don't see it so much as "forcing" them to do something as letting them know that it is expected of them to show some class toward the other team, win or lose. My parents "forced" me to do a lot of things when I was growing up, not out of some type of misguided power trip, but to let me know what things were expected of me because they were the "right" things to do. These are some of the ways values are passed down, through rituals and traditions such as these, and I think it is an important part (maybe the most important part) of high school sports to instill values in our players. The message it sends is, if you are going to wear our uniform and represent our school, sportsmanship is not optional. We learn as a team, we compete as a team, we represent our school as a team, and we will show our sportsmanship as a team.

Some people say we should do away with this tradition, just as it is recommended that coaches not approach and shake hands with officials after the game, as it lends opportunity for players to argue, insult each other, and possibly fight after a heated game. I say we teach our players the values that we expect out of them as competitors, and we will never have to worry about any of the above incidents happening.

It would be a sad, sad world if the only way we can avoid bad sportsmanship is to avoid each other.

world cup
world cup
I'd like to see the ladies look their opponent respectfully in the eyes and engage in a firm and "friendly" shake. I don't like it when they casually stroll through the line, extending the "dead fish" or the "slight slap".

I like watching the end of an NHL play-off series, when the guys skate through engaging in firm handshakes and an occassional hug. It looks genuine.

Should all coaches address this with their players, maybe just prior to state play-offs? (Handshake practice?)

The Fan Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Thanks to all who have replied. Maybe I worded by statement incorrectly, so in an attempt to re-word it, here is a second part:

Why and how does that show sportsmanship? In other words, in what way is it a sign of respect?

Ya'll have definitely put forth some feelings in the response and I do really appreciate it. In no way am I disagreeing with anyone, I just want us to see why we do what we do.

I am not looking to "do away with this tradition", yet I am trying to figure out really why we continue with it? The star spangled banner used to be played at the end of the day for tv channels, but that "tradition" was done away with. Things come and go...it is life. We might not like to see them come or go but again, that is life. If things can be done better, even if it is different, is that okay?

One more question: If a coach came up to another coach before the game and said, "We don't line up to shake hands. We just let them shake hands informally on the field", would you have a problem with that?

Again, just curious as to what you think. :-)

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yes, well, there used to BE an "end of the day" for TV channels...I can remember that! :-)

To me, the after-game handshake (and I agree with what has been said--it should be sincere, not just a zombie-like walkthrough) shows sportsmanship in that it says we are competitors, not enemies. We can play hard against each other on the field, yet still respect each other when the dust settles rather than just going our separate ways with either disdain for the defeated or resentment toward the victors. It is a tangible expression of this respect that should solidify this ideal for our players.

Would I have a problem with a coach who didn't want to line up and shake hands? No...I can respect different traditions, and as long as the players made the effort to greet each other informally, respect would still be shown.

My girls, I know, take it to heart when a team gathers up and walks away without any type of after-game greeting...they see it as a kind of disrespect, if not just bad manners.

coach
coach
It does not have to be a formal line process of shaking hands. Most I see nowadays are just informal pats, fist touches(whatever that is called) and some hand slapping. Its all about respect for the chance to compete. That is what that article I posted earlier says......its about respect for the game, the competition, the experience to play. Consider those kids who cannot play or play very little, due to a disability or other special condition. Those are the guys who are most respectful for just the chance to be out there, and they do like the hand shaking at the end! Go watch them play sometime, and you will have a greater appreciation for their efforts and how fortunate the 'normal' guys are to get on the field.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard