Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
world cup
world cup
J
I think the reason for the "formal" line-up that we see so much in HS sports (not just soccer) ..is that these are just kids. Most HS kids may think they're super mature and ready for everything (i know i did)..but they still need structure and to be led around and told what to do..most of them anyway.

..this issue makes me think of the "take a knee" when someone is injured. The structured response [kneeling or lining up at the hash or whatever] I think is eventually grown out of..but the core sentiment is still there..and that's what matters.

The Fan Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Hey...2004 and Coach Class...great points!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Hey, it never hurts to question why we do the things we do...the worst thing that can happen to a tradition is to keep the action but forget the meaning behind it.

throw in
throw in
WOODRUFF 8 HILLCREST 1

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
Coach Chass --

Me, too. Star Spangled Banner and a test pattern with an indian in the middle, right? Television stopping and starting -- what a strange idea...

lpaf

G
throw in
throw in
G
informal handshake good for the game. lining up and shaking hands bad for the game

C
Coach
Coach
C
Lpaf--yep, and if you happened to fall asleep watching TV, you could count on being jarred awake by that annoying test pattern tone! Heh...it wasn't the "Star-Spangled Banner" tradition that got cancelled; it was the "end of the day" itself!

(To my keeper, who is a regular reader of the boards--yes, your old coach can remember a time before 24-hour television. We also used to change channels with something called a "dial," which involved walking to the TV and twisting a knob with 13 different positions. If you were lucky enough to have cable, you might actually get ALL 13 CHANNELS!)

Goals66...reasoning behind your statement?

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
I somewhat agree with Goals66. The act of lining up to shake hands make everything so forced. By informally going to each player and telling them, "good game" it is usually a coherent "Good game" and it even allows for players to comment on specific plays they liked from each player. By lining up, it makes everything so rushed and machine-like. I think an informal person-to-person handshake is better, because it allows more time (if necessary) for the players to communicate, instead of the line, which is just a brisk walk with your hand sticking out, and like The Fan said, it comes out more like "ga game."

C
Coach
Coach
C
Point taken. I guess one advantage of the line would be that it doesn't give players TOO much time to interact, particularly when emotions can still be running high. But, if they really do have the sportsmanship thing internalized, I suppose the structure shouldn't be necessary to keep order...I usually let my team go through the "everyone greets everyone" line and then give them a moment or two to greet each other personally if they wish--unless, of course, there is some obvious bad blood brewing, in which case we do the formal respect thing and then separate. The lineup gives a little more structure and control until the coaches can gauge the emotional state of their teams...just in case. But I agree; in a perfect world, having a few minutes to actually speak to and compare notes with our competitors would be a much better expression of respect than "ga-game." Lots of times, players do slow down a bit and make a personal comment--"Hey, keep, nice save on that last one," or the like--but it is a bit rushed. Guess it works out ok with a girls' team, though, when we have to hurry to clear the field for the following boys' game anyway...pros and cons on both sides.

S
throw in
throw in
S
I don't normally post on the girls' board but, I am very impressed with this thread. Jack, your comments make me very proud to have been your coach. There are many traditions brought forward by the "old coaches". I line-up the team at the end of the match for the same reasons as other coaches but, it also gives me the opportunity to complement the opponents and extend good wishes for the remainder of the season. Traditions sometimes keep the sportsmanship factor alive. Younger kids are taught to take a knee to keep them away from the injured and providing more control for the officials. Kicking the ball out is a tradition. Moving to the touch to get water and instructions from the coach is economical but, it still clears the area around the injured. I hope my players want to assemble at the end and it is not forced. sb

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard