Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
world cup
world cup
Coach B,

I thought the primary reason that younger kids are taught to take a knee is to keep them from wandering off the field of play (to pick daisies, play on the swings or seek out mommy on the sidelines). This is one "tradition" that I would like to see go away after U-10. I prefer that the kids just stretch.

;>)

goal kick
goal kick
Off the topic of shaking hands and onto injury time. I would rather see my team come together and talk about how the game is going and what needs to be done.

I do love this game!

coach
coach
Back on the topic of shaking hands............
this is what happened after the UCLA/Gonzaga game last night:
<<AFTER MBAH A MOUTE STOLE THE BALL FROM DEREK RAIVIO WITH 2.6 SECONDS LEFT, ADAM MORRISON PUT HIS HANDS ON HIS HEAD AND BENT DOWN, OVERCOME WITH EMOTION, FIGHTING TEARS IN WHAT WAS PROBABLY HIS FINAL GAME IN A GONZAGA UNIFORM. HE IS EXPECTED TO TURN PRO AFTER THE SEASON AND THANKED HIS TEAMMATES IN THE LOCKER ROOM FOR THE SACRIFICES THEY MADE FOR HIM THIS SEASON. UCLA PLAYERS, HOLLINS AND AFFLALO, WENT TO HELP UP MORRISON, WHO WAS SPREAD ON THE FLOOR AT MIDCOURT. ANOTHER UCLA PLAYER, FEW, THEN CAME TO HUG THE CRYING MORRISON.
“THAT’S JUST A SIGN OF A GREAT PROGRAM AND GREAT PEOPLE,” MORRISON SAID. “THEY HAD ENOUGH GUTS AS A MAN IN THEIR MOMENT OF VICTORY TO PICK ANOTHER MAN UP OFF THE FLOOR. THAT’S MORE THAN BASKETBALL AND I WOULD THANK THEM IF I COULD.”>>
That is true respect for the game and for the individuals you compete against.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I agree with Goals66. The line thing is forced, and if there is bad blood, then the informal hand shakes allows players who were heated in the game to stay away from eachother, and to greet players that they have respect for or just players that they were indifferent towards. As far as the knee thing, the higher the level, the less it happens. I've seen u12 teams at major tournaments go to their coach on the sidelines and recieve much needed liquids and actually take a break.

C
Coach
Coach
C
2004striker--excellent example of the true spirit of sportsmanship.

Benp...the informal handshake thing can work both ways in the event of bad blood, depending on the intent of the players. It does enable them to avoid players they have a problem with--if they WANT to avoid them. It also allows them to seek out those players with time to confront them--away from the immediate presence of the coaches--if that is their intention. I remember once when I was coaching boys at a different school, one of my players went out to "informally shake hands" with the opponents...next thing I knew I was rolling around on the ground trying to separate them. It's rare, but a coach really has to be aware of the state of any hotheads and make sure they avoid each other in the informal setting.

As for taking a knee during an injury, I still teach my players to do it. It's not to keep them from wandering off...it's first of all a respect thing, which helps to defuse any bad feelings that might follow an injury. Second, it clears a space so coaches and other concerned people can see what is going on. Third, it shows that the team is not using the opportunity to take advantage of another player's injury for their own benefit.

Taking a knee is "taking a break." As for coming to the touchline for water and instructions from the coach, not only is that taking advantage of the situation, it is also illegal at the high school level. NFHS rule 3-3.2.b.1: "During the time a coach or trainer is permitted on the field to attend to an injured player, coaching instruction shall not be given to any player on either team."

Even if they're only coming for water and the coach doesn't actually speak, it would be impossible to prove to observers that they weren't getting instruction. Taking a knee where they are on the field removes all doubt.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a player, the formal shaking of hands in a line gets crazy after big games when sometimes all you want to do is celebrate or leave quickly. After a rough or very heated game, the hand shaking can be almost scary when you don't know if the girl is going to slap your hand, drop her hand, or punch you...yes i've had all three happen to me. If there is bad blood, the informal hand shake at the end of the game would be much better. but i agree that there should be some type of sportsman like, respectful way to congratulate your opponent for playing the game.

F
kick off
kick off
F
Thanking the other team after a game is just that - thanking them for the play, the win and a great time to tell players what you think. Recently a player from another team told my daughter she was the best defender she had ever played against. This completely changed the way my dauther views this hand shaking. She now gives kudos to other team's players that deserve it. This is unlike my son who has had several players from the other team spit in their hands
before they shake. Must be a guy thing!

goal kick
goal kick
Why do we try to break down and analyze everything? Shaking hands has been a tradition for a very long time to show the opposing team gratitude for their play. Whether all teams have the class to perform this simple tradition, well that's another story. Although everyone wishes the game on the pitch would be clean and in "good fun", the truth is there are always classy players and non-classy players. We can't change things, we just do our best to represent our school, club, etc. What are they going to do take it out of soccer? "NO MORE HANDSHAKES!", i mean come on. It seems that people spend more time thinking about these issues than actually trying to better themselves. Just a thought...

Goal
Goal
As a general rule I think that shaking hands is a great show of sportsmanship, but I've seen heated games end with tensions high and it's best that the teams not interact as and ugly incident might occur.

Now, what about that ridiculous practice of taking the obligatory knee when a player is injured? Geeeeeeessssshhhhhhh! [Eek!] You don't see that in any other competitive sport like football, basketball, or baseball do you? [Confused] If soccer wants respect, it has to act like it!

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I know Fort Mill High School football took a knee whenever someone got injured, and most of the teams playing against us did also, unless the coach pulled us off to the side to talk to us. No, but baseball and basketball doesn't, you are correct there.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard