Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Fan Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
MJ,

You said, "Why do we try to break down and analyze everything?"...Here is a question back: Why should we just blindly follow a "tradition" like sheep going to a slaughter? Now, I did go to the extreme to make a point, but in the original post, I was curious as to what the coaches thought about this. Sometimes analyzing this is a way to strengthen our belief in it. There are times that we need to analyze and find out if there is a better alternative. As coaches, aren't we all the time trying to break down and analyze "things" so that we can become better coaches? As far as teaching knowledge and skill of the game, we also try to instill life lessons that hopefully will make our players better people off the field as well. We teach them to win with dignity and lose with dignity as well. We teach them teamwork and to go with the flow when a bad call is made or one is missed. We teach them these things because that is what life is all about.

Personally, I'm not in favor of shaking hands after the game because I see no sincerity in it. Just becaue I see it that way doesn't make me right and everyone else wrong. Plus, I would never force my beliefs or opinions on this issue on anyone either. I'm in favor of informally shaking hands on the field instead. But, here is where that life lesson comes in, if another coach wants to then I will honor his wishes because I want my team to understand that life isn't all about what you want all the time.

Now, you may say that I am wrong, stupid, crazy, (fill in the adjective) and that's fine, but I am, just as everyone else is, entitled to my opinion and if I am wrong, that's fine...I am man enough to recognize that and own my wrongness.

have a Nice Day! :-)

goal kick
goal kick
my post wasn't a direct question to you. it was more of a rethorical question. i agree that shaking hands serves no purpose if the players feel no honor in doing so. however, i believe that at the high school level, it is still important to teach the younger players sportsmanship. without sportsmanship, the rising athletes will miss a very big part of sports.

that being said, i don't think you are wrong, i was just questioning the validity of the thread. i have no problem with your theory, i think my views are slightly different than yours.

Posted by LE DUDE: "If sports were only about the game..then I would agree with you. But they are not."

this is the best way to sum up my view of the topic. it's not wrong or right, its just my opinion, as is your's.

The Fan Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Thanks for your reply! :-)

coach
coach
I think you two should just shake on it.
But....no......wait......only if you both want to.
But if you don't want to...that's OK too, because it has no meaning anyway.........OK

coach
coach
...but then don't do it if you are not sincere about it.

coach
coach
....but then you can still do it just to say you did it.......

coach
coach
....but then at least give the perception that you are sincere.........

S
bench
bench
S
At a JV game last night, 1/2 the girls from the winning team asked the losing team to NOT touch them, and the other 1/2 that would shake hands were seen spitting in their hands before shaking. Big rivals, but no excuse for that kind of behavior!!!

The Fan Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
Well...I guess according to some posters...maybe they gave the perception that they were sincere about spitting in their hands.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard