OP Offline
Goal
S
From today's Chucktown paper:

quote:
Summerville girls' soccer again making Waves

BY PHILIP M. BOWMAN
The Post and Courier

The Summerville High School girls' soccer team in recent years has been in the shadow of the Lowcountry's Big Four: West Ashley, Wando, James Island and Bishop England. But now the Green Wave is back in the spotlight thanks to talent, energy and enthusiasm.

The Wave is 12-1 this spring, including 6-0 in Region 8-AAAA play, heading into today's showdown against Hilton Head. The match is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at John McKissick Field.

"It is going to be a huge game," said veteran coach Bob Polk. "We were able to beat them in penalty kicks at their place, and I feel it's between us and them, even though Fort Dorchester is greatly improved. If we beat them, we control our own destiny, so it's a big-time game.

"After Hilton Head, we have Battery Creek, Colleton County and Fort Dorchester, all of whom we've already defeated."

Summerville is ranked fourth in the most recent S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association poll, even though the three teams ahead of the Green Wave have more losses. Mauldin is No. 1 with two losses; Fort Mill is No. 2 with two; Wando is No. 3 with three.

The Wave's only loss was a 1-0 decision to the Warriors. But they've beaten the other local powers. The Wave beat West Ashley 4-0, edged James Island in penalty kicks, and topped Bishop England 1-0.

"I'm proud of them," Polk said. "Even when they weren't the focus of the soccer world in the Lowcountry, they didn't quit. They never gave up. They're good students and good citizens."

Summerville hasn't played in a Class AAAA Lower State championship since losing a 2-1 decision in overtime to eventual state champ West Ashley in 2002.

"I knew we could always be competitive," Polk said. "We'd lose games to James Island, Wando and West Ashley, but it would be 2-1 or 1-0.

"I didn't panic because the girls were still playing hard. We had some years that might be considered down, but the breaks didn't go our way. But we never lost faith."

Summerville has a good blend with six seniors to provide leadership, including Sara Johannesmyer, Brittany Jones, Rebecca Moore and keeper Kelly Gulledge, who recently signed to play for Western Carolina. Sophomore Lesley Sweat has been impressive at striker, while junior Kerstin Williams is having a solid season.

The team is poised for tonight's match and the playoffs, which begin May 1.

Can the Wave get back to the Lower State championship and even advance to the May 12 state title game in Columbia?

"It depends," Polk said. "You have to get the calls to go your way once in a while, and you have to avoid injury. If they come out and play, they can get as far as they need to go.

"I don't want to make predictions," Polk added. "I don't want it to come back and bite me in the foot. If we have the effort and energy when we take the field, avoid injuries and get some calls, that's what it comes down to. It depends on how each of these things fall into place."

F
goal
goal
F
I coached the U-17 AKSC and then U-18 ASA Black girls the last two years, and had the pleasure (or misfortune) of coaching against SSC Sirocco(or Sorocco, not sure which spelling is correct bc I've seen it both ways) in U-17/18 girls classic.

For my U-18 girls, it was the one game we marked on our calendar bc of the high level of play we knew SSC would bring to every match. They were a highly skilled team that switched the field and attacked space with precision, they had excellent technical ability and were disciplined, tough, and very respectful players all at the same time. I think the girls experienced something like a 20 game PMSL undefeated streak, and defeated a number of quality challenge level teams at tournaments during that span! I am not sure how many players from that team are currently contributing to Summerville high's success, but I know they are treating their fans to the beatiful game week in week out!

Good luck in the playoffs girls,
Ryan Roseberry
Westside Girls Soccer
ASA U-18 Black Girls

Link Copied to Clipboard