Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
throw in
throw in
S
Thanks, L-E Dude! It is gratifying to know you are listening. Perhaps, I needed a reminder myself. It may be the time for a "mercy rule" in soccer. Although, adherance to the ideals of "sportsmanship" would preclude institution of another rule or requlation. The ideals of "humility in victory and grace in defeat" are not outdated. I hope that we never forget that character education is an integral facet of sports.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well in my opinion i don't think any team should go doulbe digits that will make the team feel bad. if u play a team that is bad and u beat them double digits u should be ashamed of your team. even if the are the worst team don'beat them bad to make tehm fell bad well anyway thats my opinion if u have in other opinion email me peace out [EMAIL]kap526@aol.com [/EMAIL]

Brace
Brace
I think that a "mercy rule" could be more damaging than getting beat by 15 goals. If you get beat by 15 goals, you could find solace in the fact that your team "fought until the end" or maybe you get a break and stick a late goal in to mkae it 15-1. Or maybe your team doesn't allow a goal in the last 10 minutes. As the losing coach, you could then focus on that instead of the 15 goals. If there is a mercy rule, the other team will try and put 10 goals in ASAP so that they can go home. This makes the game a waste of time for both teams! Why do people keep mentioning a "mercy rule" instead of restrictions. For instance, after you get up 5-0 on a team, your team must complete 5 passes before they can go to goal OR all goals must be scored from a cross OR the coach takes out all startes and put in all freshaman, sophomores and less significant players. Just like it is not right to run up the score, it is also not right to ask a player who maybe has never seen the field to go in and not try for the sake of the feelings of the other team. If this is the case, when will teams with no JV get younger players experience?

If there is a "mercy rule" then teams will not brag about how many goals they scored but the fact that they scored 10 goals in 20 minutes and that they beat the other team "into mercy". Then what? Do we say that a game has to go at least 40 minutes but that any goal after 10 does not count? There is no fair way to contain scoring or poor sportsmanship except with coaches that understand how to properly implement restictions. If a player violates one of the restictions, then that player is benched. Teams are going to lose and lose bad in all sports. That is just the nature of competition. Coaches can use games like that as a "practice" by correctly implementing the restrictions system. This gets the winning team needed work and maintains the dignity of the losing team.

Brace
Brace
If you want a real solution, read Kyle Heise's "Proposed SCHSL Table Alignment" in the subscriber's section. This does away with 4A/3A,2A and 1A destinctions and makes four divisions that, to start with, are determined by winning percentages over the past 10 years. This makes teams play against teams that are supposedly equal.

The teams will sort themselves out over a three or four year period through a promotion/relegation sysytem.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One team has to win and one team has to lose so y is everyone worried about the score casue its not the score that matters its how well a team plays.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
now i dont know if this is right and if it isnt dont want 100 ****y soccer fans on my back because i play golf so step off...an example would be rv and sv...they have both shared victories against one another and the region can be decided by how bad rv or sv beat another team or basically how they compared against other teams...so sometimes a big number has to be put up because last year when rv beat sv and then sv went and played lr and beat them 20something - nil incase they beat rv the second time around..is this right and if it is then that is why alot of games are the way they are

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think if you are good enough to score how ever many goals then u should donthold back when u feel sorry for a team. if they arent good enough o well

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sexual Grapefruit says Never Ever Ever Ever.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i say just go out there and play soccer that is what u r there for. [Smile]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by WHHSSOCCERMOM14:
As coaches and players and fans and parents when is a margin wide enough to start pulling back? Our girls team is a first year team and the margin has only been 10 goals at its worst and that was against Hilton Head in our very first scrimmage. Where is the imaginary line drawn? Remember the do unto others rule when answering.

YOU GO SOCCER MOM! when the score is 20-0, hello you should pull back and allow other players to have a chance

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard