Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#5258 04/18/02 12:03 AM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Just to let you know, I didn't bash BE, if you look at previous posts, I haven't said BE is a bad team. How can you be a bad team when you are able to recruit? They have a good program, but they have an advantage. Good for them for winning the tourney....I just get the impression that they are stroking their own feathers with that tourney win. It is impressive that they beat two 4A teams, but they have been good since I can remember. When other teams can recruit and then play...let me know. But kudos to them, and keep on winning to get more SC teams in the top 25 in the nation.

#5259 04/18/02 01:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccerboy, why are you under the impression that BE recruits?..If you had an opportunity to play soccer for a good coach like coach Khouri and be at a high school that is possibly the finest school in the state, would you want to play there?

#5260 04/18/02 12:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey soccerboy and others, as I have mentioned in another post when others (who evidently have lost to BE) have stated matter of factly that BE recruits, who did they recruit. When I went to go see them play, I asked a few of their fans/family, and they laughed. They hear that all the time. Who did they recruit? Lawrence Smith? Poulnot? Frey? Richadoni? Hell, they said Smith's great grandparents went to BE and he has 3 first cousins on the team as well. So, who did they recruit? I also agree with the previous post, if I was a soccer player and Catholic, and live in Charleston, why not BE? Because of you? The more I look at BE, the more I'm impressed by their program. The #2 team in the state, and do you see any blowouts like most other teams do when playing lesser opponets?

#5261 04/18/02 01:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the B-E "problem" is not with recruiting, it's just that they've always had one of the best teams in the state, and the best players want to play for good teams, and gain exposure. It's no big deal, prep schools up North have been doing that with basketball for decades.

#5262 04/18/02 05:40 PM
Brace
Brace
It is not that they actively recruit like college football or anything, but it is the fact that anyone who wants to go there can and that is not the case with the teams they play against. That gives them the edge. If I am a good player zoned to go to another school and wanted to go to BE, then I could go- no questions asked. Unlike transferring from a public school to another public school. If I am a good soccer player and want to be able to put 3 or 4 state championships on my soccer resume', then I go to BE.

BUT- success breeds success. They are a good team and everyone knows that they will always be contenders so they continually get players whether they wanted them or not. If you are zoned to go to a school that has a bad soccer team and your parents have the money, why not go to BE? This is recruiting in a sense- the fact that anyone who wants to play on your team, can. I guess it could be considered "passive recruiting". But if they had no history of winning and little tradition, they could do all the "recruiting" they wanted to and they would not get players. People want to go there b/c they win, but it cannot be denied that they are winning with an All-Star team of sorts.

Also, I do not know Coach Khouri persoanlly but he is obviously knows his soccer. I think BE would win most of the time in AA regardless of who coached, but the fact that they regularly compete and beat AAAA teams has to be contributed in part to preparation and game-planning- which comes from the coach. I am looking forward to watching them play Glynn Acadamy (Ga.) tomorrow night.

#5263 04/18/02 05:45 PM
Brace
Brace
It is not that they actively recruit like college football or anything, but it is the fact that anyone who wants to go there can and that is not the case with the teams they play against. That gives them the edge. If I am a good player zoned to go to another school and wanted to go to BE, then I could go- no questions asked. Unlike transferring from a public school to another public school. If I am a good soccer player and want to be able to put 3 or 4 state championships on my soccer resume', then I go to BE.

BUT- success breeds success. They are a good team and everyone knows that they will always be contenders so they continually get players whether they wanted them or not. If you are zoned to go to a school that has a bad soccer team and your parents have the money, why not go to BE? This is recruiting in a sense- the fact that anyone who wants to play on your team, can. I guess it could be considered "passive recruiting". But if they had no history of winning and little tradition, they could do all the "recruiting" they wanted to and they would not get players. People want to go there b/c they win, but it cannot be denied that they are winning with an All-Star team of sorts.

Also, I do not know Coach Khouri persoanlly but he is obviously knows his soccer. I think BE would win most of the time in AA regardless of who coached, but the fact that they regularly compete and beat AAAA teams has to be contributed in part to preparation and game-planning- which comes from the coach. I am looking forward to watching them play Glynn Acadamy (Ga.) tomorrow night.

#5264 04/18/02 05:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Non-public schools that are members of the SCHSL must have prescribed attendance areas that are agreed upon before membership is granted. See the SCHSL handbook that is linked on the home page.

#5265 04/18/02 06:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't see the point in topics such as this...why would you ask if a team is over-rated when they have beat top ranked teams?? I think of being over-rated as if you haven't proven yourself worthy of being good and you get credit just because of your name or history!

#5266 04/19/02 12:15 PM
Brace
Brace
True. They must designate an attendance area, etc. but what I have learned is that the SCHSL set that area. Their position is that since BE is in the Charleston City Limits, they can draw from the City, and since the City of Charleston is in Charleston County, then they can draw from Charleston County, and since Daniel Island is in Berkeley County, they can draw from Berkeley County. This combination gives them one of the largest districts (Berkeley) from which to draw players along with one of the most soccer dense counties (Charleston).

That gives them a couple of hundred square miles from which to draw players when the average high they compete against has maybe 15-20 square miles from which to draw players.

#5267 04/19/02 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand why they would be allowed to draw from Berkely County, unless Berkely and Charleston County form a school district. No matter though, they had to be accepted for membership by 2/3 of the members of the conference.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard