Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#52489 05/12/06 01:53 AM
N
bench
bench
N
Hey Purple and Yellow - How in the world did you lose to CC in the playoffs? We thought your team would not have any trouble. Then they lost to a team you beat 6-0??? We'd love to have CC in SCISA, as we welcome competition. They would not be close to the top 5, though.

#52490 05/12/06 02:34 AM
F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Not sure if this was already covered, but I think SCISA schools are the private schools that have students in grades other than 9-12. I know that CC and BE are only high schools and are only grades 9-12, while schools like Porter-Gaud and Pinewood Prep is more than a high school. I cannot speak for the other private schools, but this is something that I have noticed. Also, AM is a public, magnet school. It allows people from the Charleston area to attend a more academically challenged school. AM doesn't even have it's own field. We play in a swamp, literally. Any time it rains, we have huge pools in the middle of our field, and it takes days to let them go away. AM is by no means anything like a private school.

#52491 05/12/06 03:27 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Since the topic came back up...I've been mulling this over in the back of my mind for a day or so...way back in the very back where it doesn't take up much space or cause me to lose sleep, but the fermentation process takes place nonetheless...and I think I've come up with a fair solution for 1A/2A public schools to level the playing field in the strictly geographical/available players sense. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Get all of the schools in your county to consolidate into one county-wide school district. If this is already the case, skip to step 2.

2. Get all the schools in your district EXCEPT ONE to cancel their soccer programs. If a school does not offer a sport, that leaves an exception for its athletes to participate at another district school that does offer the program. The school that gets to offer the sport can be decided by general vote, or rotated on a year-to-year basis.

3. Take all of the best public school soccer athletes available from each school in your entire county and put them on that one team, under a previously established coach and program.

4. Play CC or BE and see if this makes a difference.

5. Should you happen to win, check to see if the private school players, coaches, and supporters:

a. cite your increased attendance zone and availability of athletes as the cause, or

b. assume inferior coaching ability and techniques on their own part and ask for help and advice from more knowledgeable people who are willing to give it.

I think it would make for a grand experiment...what do you think?

#52492 05/12/06 03:31 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Oh, I almost forgot:

6. Should you happen to still lose, the dignified thing to do would be to apologize and take their advice with gratitute...had to cover that possibility as well.

#52493 05/12/06 07:33 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
gratitude...I really can spell...honest...

#52494 05/12/06 01:02 PM
brace
brace
I'm sure you have seen these matches before; I think they are unique to soccer. WHS lost to CC in the playoffs for several reasons. First, we lost our top scorer late in the season to a torn ACL; that was hard to overcome. But in the actual match, we scored an on-goal for CC early that allowed them to play defensively, we simply could not finish (many shots, only 1 goal), and the main reason we lost is that a CC player (#19, I think) scored a really nice free kick late in the second half and we DID NOT convert on several free kicks. My point is that CC deserved the win though I think we controlled play in the second half and were a better team overall throughout the year. All that matters is the match, however; as it should be. Some may be tired of hearing this, but I want to stress one more time that our program relishes playing CC, SSC, and BE; and we hope to win a state championship with those teams in the mix. That said, I know that allowing private schools with open enrollment to compete state-wide with A/AA public schools is grossly unfair and ultimately makes the vast majority of those A/AA schools irrelevant no matter how hard they work, no matter how good the coaching is, no matter how dedicated the players are.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard