Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
bench
OP Offline
bench
Y
The game was a travesty of botched calls, needless calls and no-calls.

I take nothing away from the Dorman girls. They played a tough game and consistently played to win from behind.

I don't blame the Dorman coach for lobbying the ref; killing time with subs; and, venturing onto the field numerous times. He was only doing what the ref permitted.

I AM appalled at the officiating. "Incompetent" is too kind. The ref lost control of the game on the field. I've seen "bad" refing before but I've never seen a ref make calls based on numerous conferences with coaches and linesmen. I've seen refs defer to linesmen in an expeditious way but, to stop the game for prolonged conferences-- never.

On at least three crucial penalties the ref decided the game based on what was obviously uncertain knowledge and what seemed to be a "committee vote."

The low point of the game was disallowing an Irmo goal in the second OT. The ref chose the course of MOST damage despite the fact that he obviously wasn't sure whether the time ran out before the ball rolled into the goal. Allowing the goal would have permitted the PLAYERS to decide the game on the field.

His other gaffes included: allowing the clock to run while Dorman players stalled in OT; and not penalizing the Dorman coach's numerous forays onto the pitch.

In short, I can live with getting beat by another team. Losing because of ridiculous officiating really hurts.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Lexington feels your pain.
You should see the video of the foul called against Lexington to give Dorman their only goal against Lex and move them on to the chapionship game.
I wish the refs would have been better all the way through the playoffs, then you could have just lost to Lexington fair and square.

hat-trick
hat-trick
YJ Fan:
I do believe Irmo's shot at the end entered the goal after time expired. I did not hear the horn due to the crowd noise, but I was looking back and forth between the scoreboard clock and the play during the last 10 seconds. It appeared to me that time had indeed expired by the time the ball went in the goal.

J
Brace
Brace
J
You have to admit though that it was a well played, hard fought match that had a lot of intenisty. Many said it was a treat to go to such a game!

Y
bench
OP Offline
bench
Y
Truefan, heh. Don't forget that Irmo beat Dorman during the season, also. The Yellow Jackets that played last night were significantly better than when they played Lex during previously.

Lex v. Irmo would have been very interesting.

Soccerboy, any game with the level of officiating I witnessed would have to be painful to fans of the game-- no matter who they cheered for.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Soccerboy: The best treat was stopping by Krispy Kreme after the game.
Not the best played game by either side. 5 out of the 6 goals could have and probably should have been saved.
But yes, hard fought and intense.

J
goal kick
goal kick
J
This is why EVERYONE loves when Irmo loses. It's usually the guys, but I'm glad the girls team and their fans have the exact same attitude.

Mwuah ha ha.

Go Dorman!!

M
kick off
kick off
M
Not to harp more on the officiating (as I'm impartial to any of the teams that played this weekend), but the Dorman-Irmo game and the BC-Riverside game leave a lot of room for questioning. Both center refs for those two games seemed completely clueless as to what was going on, let the games get out of control, etc.

Contrarily, I was impressed with the officiating in the 1a/2a game (granted it was much slower paced) and in the boys games that I saw (1a, 2a, part of 3a).

U
goal kick
goal kick
U
Yellow Jacket Fan, The Irmo victory over Dorman was not during the regular season. It was a "Scrimmage". Just needed to clarify your comment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the goal should have counted that is all there is too it!!!

World Cup
World Cup
Losers are always argumentative...

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Hey whiskey,
the refs screwed you against Dormany too, right?

It should have been an all Yellow Jacket final!!!

World Cup
World Cup
Yeah, we got screwed! I personally ran out there and scored a goal within 15 minutes of the whistle being blown! According to "NCASODHAIOG Rule Book" page 76-D artilce POS-19 it states, and I quote "Any coach with the gusto of an Aikenite may participate in a match equalizing goal up to 23 minutes and 14 seconds after the final whistle has blown if and only if rain delay and crappy District 5 transportation is present."

We were robbed.

S
coach
coach
S
I'm reminded of that old saying "It's funny if it happens to someone else."

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
It is funny because I have been around South Carolina Soccer longer than some of the posters here have been alive, and Irmo has never actually lost a game...they just have them unjustly stolen from them from time to time.

S
coach
coach
S
I haven't seen Irmo girls fans complain about having a game stolen from them once this season until the final and can't remember anything from the last few years either. I'm sure this lack of recall is due to my advanced age and increasing senility. Could you cite a few examples from the Irmo girls team?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
You are right, Chico. The girls side is actually pretty classy, especially their coaches. Mostly (or maybe completely) a boys comment. might have been the wrong place to post but cut me some slack, I share your advanced age.
as a matter of fact, I even participated in stealing a championship from them...in 1980!!!

World Cup
World Cup
I can't believe such a simple rule is so hard to understand. Clock ends, game over. I saw them play earlier in the year and Mike has done his work with those girls to get them to play so well against Dorman.

Perhaps OE was referring to the boys side of things. At least he speaks up and post. We have to wait until next May to hear from Lexington again!

(Sorry, Hurst made me do it!)

World Cup
World Cup
One will always know when he/she dances on Chico's nerves. Where has the humor gone? Anyway, just goes to show that here in Region 1 we fight harder on the boards, albeit a losing fight, for our players. Heh, heh, heh...

World Cup
World Cup
We need variety, Chico. You have been duly noted for yours. Allow me to show you an example of bad humor on another thread. Stay away from this kind...

world cup
world cup
Unfortunately, there are a lot of 4A girls Yellow Jackets who didn't win the state championship. All you can say is better luck next year.

World Cup
World Cup
We should form a support group. I think I need it more than most.

corner kick
corner kick
Whiskey & Easy , you certainly show your complete lack of class with your post on this message board.

You and Jeff are way too jealous of the Irmo program and your continuous Negative posting about other teams and players is certain proof.

The Anderson program could take a little lesson. First...By having a coach that uses his energy to help his team in a positive way. You do not elevate your team by putting another team or player down. Second...remember that you are coaching high school kids that look to you as a role model.

It's "OK" for YOU to express endless sour grapes on the board about one of your players not making allstate, but you are lightning fast at pointing out the faults of other posters and teams.

There were other underclassmen that could have made allstate and there were also some deserving seniors that should have made it, but didn't. At least the underclassmen still have time. I'm sure with all the "promotion" you have done for your player on the message board, she will be a shoe-in for next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey SPARTAN dont be dissin on W&E, at least his profile doesnt say he is from "Beautiful SC"!!!

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
W&E,
I have seen you refer and give credit to "Mike" as the coach of the Irmo Girls team. Isn't Heather Frederick the head coach of the Irmo Girls team? Unless I am mistaken, she is, and she did a wonderful job, in my estimation, of having her team prepared for the State Finals. Also a wonderful of job of even **getting** them to the State Finals! Congratulations to her and to her assistant coaches and team on making it to the big game and for playing well in it. I was impressed with their play and also with the way in which they handled what must have been a heartbreaking loss. Very classy.

World Cup
World Cup
Spartan, you've posted that same bit of manure on three threads already. Maybe you could post it on a few more so that it'll set in. I'm sure with your 18 post and obvious credibility people are bound to listen.

sbs, Heather is Co-Coach and does most of the training if I'm not mistaken. I don't know her as well as Mike so forgive me for my omission. The two of them did an admirable job this year with that group of girls. If West Ashley isn't playing, Irmo is my lower state team of choice. Thanks for the correction.

T
throw in
throw in
T
2005 IRMO YELLOW JACKETS GIRLS SOCCER

HEAD COACH - HEATHER FREDERICK
MIKE MAULDIN - ASSISTANT VARSITY & HEAD JV COACH
BRAD HARMON - HEAD B TEAM COACH
MATT SMITH - GOALKEEPER COACH
ATHLETIC TRAINER - SCOTT DOUGLASS, ATC

World Cup
World Cup
Is Heather with the school district? She's a heck of a coach!

S
coach
coach
S
I believe Heather is a physical therapist in her "other life." She was named coach of the year a few years ago by the SCYSA. Played at PC; has been coaching at CSC since CFC merged into it; appears from a list I once saw that she will coach the U17G Elite team at CUFC this year.

I agree; heck of a coach.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Thank you, Spartan! Well said!
The only thing I might disagree with you on is your saying that his behavior may make his player a show-in for next year. I have been afraid that the opposite may be true - that his poor behavior may be taken out on her next year. Let's hope not.

Y
bench
OP Offline
bench
Y
W&E, Spartan has you nailed.

SBS, I couldn't agree more.

OE, envy shows plainly in your post.

I've only watched the IHS Boys and Girls for a couple of years. Never has Heather complained about having a game "stolen." I bet if YOUR team got beat because an OT lasted 100% too long then we'd still be hearing about it just like you continue to slag Savitz for standing up.

Name another game that IHS coaches have complained about. Fans are a different story. From rec league to premiere, I've heard fans complain about refing.

I've just never seen such an entirely clueless ref in such an important game.

F
kick off
kick off
F
truefan,

I was at the Lex v Dorman game as an impartial observer and thought that particular penalty call that resulted in Dorman's win was terrible. Reassuring to hear that the video confirms my impression. Dorman bludgeoned Lexington most of the night with almost no calls against them.

world cup
world cup
firefly,

As an impartial observer of the Lex-Dorman game, can you give us your take on how things went after the final whistle?

truefan feels the Dorman coach's behavior was out of line.

F
kick off
kick off
F
Hurst66,

You know, it struck me as odd at the time but I hadn't thought about it since. Dorman left the field and there was an average amount of handshaking between the Lexington and Dorman players. Instead of talking to his team on the sidelines, the Dorman coach rounded everybody up and took them back on the pitch, to the goal to my right, under the scoreboard. They assembled there and a photographer took a number of photos with the team holding up the "we're number one" finger. The coach was very exuberent with some fist pumping and shouting to the team. I chalked it up to the excitement of the moment. I've seen a number of teams pose for photos after big games, but never on the home team's pitch. I thought it was in bad taste, and I think there were more than a few cat calls from the Lexington faithful in the stands.

world cup
world cup
That certainly could be interpreted as "excessive", given it was done on the visiting pitch. I guess they were making sure they captured that "championship moment" in case things didn't work out in Stone Stadium on Friday night.

World Cup
World Cup
Spartan/Scotland/YJF,

Yeah, you guys sure told me. Well, that's all I have to say about it so I guess I have no choice but to move on. Thanks for the lesson in humility.

World Cup
World Cup
quote:
I've seen a number of teams pose for photos after big games, but never on the home team's pitch. I thought it was in bad taste, and I think there were more than a few cat calls from the Lexington faithful in the stands.
Doesn't bother me a bit. Obviously, it was a big win on the road and in the playoffs. That's the definition of a "Kodak moment". Personally, I think if the Lexington press box crew allowed Dorman to take the picture, then that epitomizes 'class'. Good job!

World Cup
World Cup
I made a statement in the paper about Dorman having being the "Best team in the state with the best Coach". Who was it that said I spoke too soon...hmmmmmmm?

As a coach, another team posing on our field would tug at my heart strings, but I'd have to let it ride. That might never happen again for those kids and its not like they can travel home and recreate the moment. Go home and kick the cat, but let them have a moment to celebrate.

S
coach
coach
S
W&E: Okay...okay...mea maxima culpa.

EXCEPT -- you did speak too soon!!! All I said was that you might want to wait to make them prove it. They did so...

But as a prediction, you absolutely nailed it.

P.S. I was there and saw Dorman posing for the picture and didn't give it a second thought...but at that point I was walking out and wasn't in the stands.

World Cup
World Cup
Point made, I stand corrected!

I think any competitive person would find it hard to watch such a thing. That would be the point in which all those little league games and non-score keeping, for the good of the game, love thy neighbor come into play. Of course, easier said than done. I'll let you know how it personally feels when I get there. Might be a while...

J
Brace
Brace
J
My wife tells a story about when their BB team went to a rival to play in high school, and they had a banner up all ready to go for the coaches supposed 200th win. My wife's team won, not giving the home coach their 200th win, so they went up and took their pictures in front of the banner to rub it in. I think pictures at opposing fields/facilities are perfectly fine.

World Cup
World Cup
That's a hoot!

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I am with Chico, it hurts but is not what I consider to be unsportmanlike. The players deserved the time.

D
bench
bench
D
Well I was at the Dorman- Irmo game. I do have to agree the officiating was terrible. I was sitting in the stands on the side of all the controversy. My view was really good. My take on the situation is that ultimately the right calls were made. The journey was astonishingly painful. The bottom line: there was a swatted ball, but it happened in the box. I just was not sure if it was the Irmo player or the Dorman player who swatted the ball. That goal should have counted. The free kick also angled towards the back of the goal, so it was a good goal. The goal scored at the end happened after the clock expired. When the keeper touched that ball is when the clock expired. I was watching the clock. I personally think a play should allow to finish, but that is not how soccer works, and I have been burned before on similar instances.

I to was horrified by the level of officiating. In fact it blew most of the season. There was one game where one of our players got a concussion, and the coach received a yellow card for telling the ref the game was out of control and people are getting hurt. The game could have been handled better. All I have to say is that I thought the Irmo team had a lot of class by their action at the end of the game. They far exceed their cross lake rivals who lets say have none what so ever. The Irmo coach and players held their heads high after the game and gave sincere congrats to the Dorman players.

The bottom line is that is was a great game. That was the most people I have ever seen at a soccer game in SC. It should also serve as a bell weather to the state officials that they need to do something about the quality of their refs. My daughters play for Dorman’s arch rivals, but ultimately I do think the right calls were made. I just don’t think that any call should have been made, since about 5 other hand balls were ignored. It is just a shame that one was called that altered the game. Lets not forget Dorman lost a goal because of the that hand ball call. They just had enough skill to get it back on the next play with a shot that hit the cross bar.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
I could care less about a team taking a picture after the game home or away. But I do think it is in poor taste to punt the home teams game balls into the visiting teams stands.
And I don't think he was celebrating.

J
world cup
world cup
J
My sophomore year.. we were playing away at our rivals place. One of their guys was in a full sprint and lost the ball (barely) out of bounds.. then he took two extra strides and shot the ball directly into the arse of our back-up keeper on the sideline. I was p*ssed at the time..but it's funny now..more so because we won.

What's my point.. nothing.

What's the point of all this.. nothing.

HURRAY!

U
goal kick
goal kick
U
I was sitting in the visiting team's stands until after the photo op and there were no balls flying my way. Sounds like a little embellshment to the story.

World Cup
World Cup
I think he shot some people, too.

S
coach
coach
S
uihwki: I know that you track these types of things; so how many parents of CFC players were hit? [Smile]

U
goal kick
goal kick
U
Chico, Depends. Do you want parents of current players or the entire universe (those that played for CFC at one time). Also, should I include brothers and sisters as well? The later may take a little longer to compile. The amazing thing is Coach had so many to shoot at and he missed all of them!

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
All I know is after the "altercation" between coaches he punted the game balls off the field.
But in a classy way.
I think the only one injured in the incident was himself. He should know better than to kick like that without stretching.

World Cup
World Cup
Did he pull a muscle? Strain a ligament? Give a stern look to the trainer? Purposely step on excess amounts of grass?

World Cup
World Cup
Sharpe/sbs

Just confirmed, Mike and Heather are co-head coaches as I orginally stated. They do not have a varsity assistant.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard