Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
world cup
world cup
I didn't see the match but I will speculate that better behavior by the players may have prevented the three red cards in the Wren-MB game?

Also, refs were probably at a premium since there were club matches all weekend as well.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
N
corner kick
corner kick
N
Anyone know the details of the MB-Wren fisticuffs? I heard they had to call the game because of it.

corner kick
corner kick
Hurst,

You are absolutely correct that better behavior by the players could have prevented these red cards. Who is going to step up and require the players to embrace sportsmanship? The coaches, parents, or referee? When I played many years ago the coaches didn't tolerate this behavior and you were removed from the team.

NP,
Two players holding, pushing, kicking at each other after the ball is by them. The game was called but I believe the time had expired.

brace
brace
Hurst66

I wasn't there, and your point is excellent. We could add the responsibility of the coaches as well.

BUT high school refs are also to blame for the highly physical and dangerous play at the high school level.

Compared to club, there is a great disparity in skill and knowledge of the game by the players, coaches, and fans. Matches are often far too physical in terms of ILLEGAL contact while much of the appropriate contact is whistled.

At the Easley tournament, our Friday match involved refs who whistled EVERY fall on the field. Saturday included one ref who allowed repeated body blocks in the box with no effort to play the ball (this often comes when teams are mismatched and refs begin to "help" the weaker team).

Refs need to consider safety and also help educate players, coaches, and fans. That would benefit us all in SC soccer.

This does NOT excuse fighting, etc, by players. They know better.

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
world cup
world cup
Good points P&Y but I've seen refs allow high-level club games to get very physical as well.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
I agree about high level club—especially guys.

BUT I would argue (and I guess I am here) that when players are essentially equal in skill and knowledge of the game (more likely at the club level), the potential for injury and escalation are lower (but not absent). High school is unique because of the great disparities in skill and knowledge.

I know all the players on Eastside and Riverside who play club, and would suggest that that match is atypical of high school soccer because of the relatively level skill and knowledge of the players.

When teams are mismatched and refs are careless—dangerous!

goal kick
goal kick
Where can you find the all tournament team? thanks

Hey, it's not rocket surgery!
World Cup
World Cup
If they red carded three players, weren't they doing their job? No offense to the kids, parents, or coaches, but you have to be doing something pretty stupid to get a red card (I would know). I'm not sure that three refs are going to prevent stupid behavior anymore than two officials. You see a foul, you call it. If the girl you fouled is mad, she is going to get even. Ref calls it again. The third time the emotions get the best of them and it's time to buy a ticket for the stands. I wouldn't pay for three refs.

brace
brace
W&E—

I have always advocated 3 refs, but you have given me pause. Wonder if anyone anywhere has some stats on cards per match in 2-person v. 3-person ref'd matches? Might be worth consideration as we debate how many refs we need and should pay for in SC.

And could SC experiment with this concept in the Viking Cup next year? Some 2-person, some 3-person ref'd matches and have eval forms for coaches and compare?

World Cup
World Cup
I think 3 refs helps with offsides and blind spot calls (behind the center ref). I prefer 2 refs during big matches because I have 2 men right in the middle of the carnage on both sides of the field instead of one chasing things down. Personal preference, I'm sure, for one could surely rationalize that 6 eyes are better than 4. I just prefer for my eyes to be in the middle of the fight.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard