Print Thread
#53796 03/01/03 07:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First off, thanks to everyone who set up the preseason irmo tournament for the girls. Even though the weather decided to get nasty I think everyone went very well and everyone had a great time.
The one thing that I would like to address is that, while I know refereeing is a difficult job (I've done it before) it seemed like the crew at the tournament was allowing a whole lot of contact between players. I push my girls to play physically every game but I saw girls getting blatantly pushed, tripped and knocked down in each game we played in as well as all of the others I watched. I saw an Irmo girl get taken out in front of her own goal by a sv girl when she didn't even have possesion of the ball. Did any of the other coaches or spectators notice this?
Anyway, other than that it was a great experience and we hope to do it again next year.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Could someone please report on any results that they know of from this weekend's tournament?

LF Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Lexington Girls JV won both of their games and will be in the finals (whenever it is played????)

World Cup
World Cup
FRIDAY, 2/28
Hammond 3-2 Spring Valley
Lexington 4-0 Swansea
Irmo 1-0 Dreher
Dutch Fork 3-0 Airport

SATURDAY, 3/1
Irmo 3-1 Spring Valley
Dreher 3-2 Hammond
Swansea 4-0 Airport
Lexington 2-1 Dutch Fork
Spring Valley 2-0 Dreher
Irmo 4-2 Hammond

The tournament was cancelled after the 12:00 noon games on Saturday due to inclement weather. Irmo and Lexington were declared co-champions.

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
thanks.

goal kick
goal kick
This tournament was a wonderful showcase for some very young talented players in the area. Many of the teams have a good number of excellent players who must benefit from wonderful club experience.

Congrats to Lexington Lady Wildcats on being Co-Champions. Also congrats to the Lady Jackets from Irmo. They played much better than anyone expected and had many suprises in the level of play from several new players. Coach Mauldin noted that he felt the Irmo team had three MVPs from the weekend: Kristina delaRosa, Megan Korpita and Baiely Harman. You girls rock!!

As to the post by Bryan Harris: did you ever referee high school soccer, using the two man system? It is incredibely difficult to work within this system of control in a game. Many calls are not made or not seen because the referee is having to cover so many aspects of the game at one time. As to the physical play, it looks like it is part of the game. Just watch the Women's National team or the English Premier League. Physical play is a huge part of the game. Does that need to change? That could be another thread!!

Link Copied to Clipboard