Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#54710 01/23/06 09:36 PM
G
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
G
I'm from a smaller community where players at the U13/U14 level want to tryout for JV, but somehow maintain a playing option with their club team. However, with tryouts just starting and club registrations so soon, it makes it difficult in a small community to maintain a U13 or U14 team into the spring. My normal advice to a player has been that U13/U14 challenge/class is your best choice followed by JV and last U14 recreation. I think that is reasonably sound but does create some trying moments about forming club teams.
Has there been any thought to moving Varsity/JV tryouts up some to allow for this or are there too many logistical reasons to prevent this?

world cup
world cup
We've never had a problem in our neck of the woods fielding competitive JV and U-14 teams that are comprised of the same players. JV games are during the week, club games are on the weekend. Outside of the Irmo JV tournament, we've never had a conflict.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I coach a U-13 team in a small soccer community. A number of my players are trying out for JV teams this week. I'm encouraging them to do so. I realize that this means that I won't have them for any weeknight practice sessions, and that they may burn out on soccer this spring, playing for the HS team all week, and for the club on weekends. But, I also know how important it is for these kids to play for a high school. That's been the dream for many years for these guys. I'm more than willing to accomodate these players if they need to miss the occasional weekend practice.

Now, how do I deal with the soccer players on my team who (gasp) are trying out for JV baseball teams? Oh where oh where did I go wrong? (softly sobbing)

C
goal
goal
C
Lurker, you are wise beyond your years.

Most clubs are now working with the JV programs to allow both to play or some other compromise. Such as the club team playing in tournaments only. I personally think is is great for the players to do both but burn out for a small few is the risk you take. i have seen players do it and become better players because of the extra touches but I have also seen players leave the game forever because fo the burn out. Coaches and parenets need to watch the players carfully and not push to hard but allow the player to do what they think is best...

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Chapindad, thanks for the kind words, but I think you have either overestimated my wisdom, or grossly underestimated my years.

Tonight I get to go and "lurk" at the JV tryouts, just to see how my guys are looking under the watchful eye of another coach.

world cup
world cup
Chapindad, what do you think the makeup of the Chapin JV girls team will be? FM will be young, they could conceivably start eight 8th graders and three 7th graders.

C
goal
goal
C
To be honest I have no real idea. But I believe that it is going to be mosting 7th graders with a few very good 8th graders. I doubt there will be any 9th graders on the team this year.

B
goal
goal
B
Having been through this I think all comments here are on target. This is something that has to be worked between the two coaches and parents, only after the dedication and commitment is expressed by the child. Burn out is a real concern here. It's very easy to have a child play in 30 to 40 matches during the spring if they are playing for both teams.

The increased touches on the ball plays a role in the development, as does the increased physical size of the opponents. If a 7th or 8th grader is playing on the JV team, it is likely that they could be facing sophomores or in some cases juniors on other teams. You are looking at the difference of 3 to 4 years physical development in size and speed.

I also think that the CRSA guys with the dedication to the HS program are providing a very valuable service and applaud the clubs that find a way to work with the local high schools.

In my personal experience, it was very good, however, it's something that like everything else, has to be evaluated by the individuals involved.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I agree with Bear to a certain extent...

So my logic is as follows

If you are in the 7th or 8th grade (U13 or U14)and

1- you are playing challenge, stay in club do on't play JV
2- you are playing classic, depends on the team caliber and the club coach caliber. Most JV programs will not have an individual able to teach anything.
3- you are playing Rec... by all means try out for JV.

Argument for number 1 is the number of touches and playing older players. My experience tells me that you will get better touches and more quality instruction playing challenge than playing 5 days with a ragtag group of players some of which cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

Ditto for 2 except here depends on the JV coach. If it is the same level as the classic coach the reps and playing up will help more. Here I would recommend doing both. IF on the other hand you can make JV but seldom play because older players are in the team, then stay in classic.

3- no brainer... you can do nothing but improve.

Finally the social aspect, personally I do not see it. As your immediate teammates are not in the same school there is no fanfare or hero worship. You better off waiting for HS to show your peers how good you are.

Lastly I am well aware that some schools would not be able to field teams. I am also aware that it is very different for boys than girls. These arguments have been made before, the truth is that the school is not important it is the player. Therefore having a great working relationship between club coach and HS coach is key.

world cup
world cup
futbol,

Have to disagree with you on advocating that under scenario #1...the girls shouldn't play. See lurker's first post above. As the father of four girls who play.....they love representing their school. There's nothing better than practicing with the varsity, getting out of school early, and playing for the high school. Even if the coaching is inferior...they still touch the ball and go head-to-head against eachother.

Some girls change clubs 3-4 times as they climb the club ladder to ascend to the super club. Not much loyalty there....but playing for the school.....that's a big deal.

Playing JV HS soccer is not going to get anyone a starting spot at Clemson or UNC....won't even help them make Regional ODP.....but the girls love it. Don't deny them the opportunity unless you strongly feel they are going to burn out. Club and HS JV, even for the elite player, can be beneficial. They should play both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard